true or false

Free 5-year firearms, handgun licenses starting July 1

Indiana and will it do away with the 4473
    " Everybody in the world is ignorant.....Just about different things."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walt o View Post
    Free 5-year firearms, handgun licenses starting July 1

Indiana and will it do away with the 4473
    You will still have to do the 4473, just not have to wait around on the background check, if I understood it right. I have my lifetime license, but will still have to do the NICS check because it is not a recently issued license.
    Operation Desert Storm Veteran, Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, For God and Country.

User Info Menu

False as posted.

It will not do away with the 4473. They just wont have to call it in for approval. Fill out the form, you both sign it, you pay, then walk out the door.

But I think somebody said its not a 100% done deal yet for that aspect of the 5 year. Something about the feds having to approve it and I dont think they could until it goes into effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

The last time someone asked this, I believe they said we would have to be NICS approved and that won't happen for some time to avoid the background check.

ETA: looks like cameramonkey beat me to it.

User Info Menu

I believe you will still have to do a 4473 for a gun transaction. The license is set up to be in compliance with regulations to be exempt.
    "Yup!"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Was really hoping that the lifetime license was included on getting rid of one of the fees. I believe with the 5 year they just got rid of the $75 state fee, still have the $50 local fee.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    False as posted.

It will not do away with the 4473. They just wont have to call it in for approval. Fill out the form, you both sign it, you pay, then walk out the door.

But I think somebody said its not a 100% done deal yet for that aspect of the 5 year. Something about the feds having to approve it and I dont think they could until it goes into effect.
    Indiana is not on the NICS approved list to bypass the background check, something about our rules and regs to own a firearm and be approved for a LTCH. That's what is holding up the bypass, it appears
    that the approval from NICS has to come within the 5 year lifespan of these new licenses. They're saying if you have a lifetime you'd need to also get one of the new 5yrs to be able to do the bypass if it gets approved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mounty09 View Post
    Was really hoping that the lifetime license was included on getting rid of one of the fees. I believe with the 5 year they just got rid of the $75 state fee, still have the $50 local fee.
    ... and a fee for your prints, and maybe a “processing” fee. I’m interested to see how much these so-called “free” licenses end up costing.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

According to everything I have read, you only have to pay for fingerprinting. Here is where to start.

https://www.in.gov/isp/2829.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kozaturf View Post
    They're saying if you have a lifetime you'd need to also get one of the new 5yrs to be able to do the bypass if it gets approved.
    Are you saying that someone can have both? Lifetime AND 5 year?

NRA - Life

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast