Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

firearms in Illinois willed to indiana gun owner?

Anyone know the appropriate procedure for an Indiana gun owner to bring back to Indiana firearms willed to him by an Illinois FOID card holder once the will is executed?
    "Son, never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person"

User Info Menu

First, sorry for your loss.
    Second, this is not legal advice.

Here is the logical way to do it, assuming its not something special like an NFA item:

Travel to IL
    Place your property in your trunk.
    Drive home.
    Everyone shut the hell up.

Thats the logical way to do it. Not that it's legal, but its logical under the circumstances.

I'm sure there is a hoop filled method that .gov prefers (involving 4473s, shipping to your LGS here in IN, transfer fees, etc) . So do which way you please.
    Last edited by Cameramonkey; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

If I live in Indiana. My brother lives in Illinois. Is it illegal to drive to Illinois to pick up the gifted gun and drive back home to Indiana?
    NRA - Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    First, sorry for your loss.
    Second, this is not legal advice.

Here is the logical way to do it, assuming its not something special like an NFA item:

Travel to IL
    Place your property in your trunk.
    Drive home.
    Everyone shut the hell up.

Thats the logical way to do it. Not that it's legal, but its logical under the circumstances.

I'm sure there is a hoop filled method that .gov prefers (involving 4473s, shipping to your LGS here in IN, transfer fees, etc) . So do which way you please.
    This seems logical to me, since, as I understand it, the firearms have a new owner at the execution of the will.
    Like you, I'll bet there are more complicated ways also, and I'd like to hear those too.
    "Son, never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggidy View Post
    If I live in Indiana. My brother lives in Illinois. Is it illegal to drive to Illinois to pick up the gifted gun and drive back home to Indiana?
    Gifted? Yes, illegal. State lines=FFL

UNLESS, devised.

Big difference between gifted and devised, sir.
    Herman Cain had ryyyeeetttts too. Wear a damn mask.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggidy View Post
    I think technically not, unless pistols. If I'm not mistaken, rifles can be transferred f2f over state lines, but pistols are where the legality comes up. I'm no lawyer tho, so I might be mistaken.

Master

User Info Menu

from the atf web
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...mUpK0yiAWdiujC

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual
    who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully
    transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a
    Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipientís State of residence. He or she may then
    receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background
    check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this
    prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for
    example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is
    provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by
    intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who
    inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

User Info Menu

And... I am sure that all those Indiana arms going to chiraq were purchased legally, transferred to FOID card holders at an Ill. FFL
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

User Info Menu

Based on what singlestacksig posted I'd say you are good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Well....uh.......I got nothing man.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This guy went full Brussel Sprouts.

The Constitution: It doesnít need to be rewritten; it needs to be reread.
    INGO # 23,621

User Info Menu

Just remember Illinois has registration of firearms, and all transfers across state lines weather handguns or long arms require a 4473!

So to answer the ops question, the executor of the will, should bring handguns to an Indiana ffl holder, and the recipient should fill out a 4473 and have a background check done, as for the long guns, the executor should take them to a dealer in Illinois, and the recipient should go fill out a 4473 there and take possession as soon as the background check is approved

Never too many sigs in your safe!-mike4sigs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast