• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nothing fancy this is a picture from my target looking back towards where I shoot from.

I was testing some low pressure 45acp loads today with my son and friend. Not in pictures for privacy reasons.

The rest is at 30 feet on the table.

My trusty Flat Coated Retriever with us.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Nice...looks like plenty of shade. Having a range to test loads on is so nice to have. I have to back up to my 100 yd berm to get any shade on my current range, so that means pistol training/load testing is in the sun. I will soon be correcting that though since I am taking over the family homestead soon. Already have a nice handgun/100 rifle range lay-ed out, and looking at the best areas for up to 300 yd rifle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nice...looks like plenty of shade. Having a range to test loads on is so nice to have. I have to back up to my 100 yd berm to get any shade on my current range, so that means pistol training/load testing is in the sun. I will soon be correcting that though since I am taking over the family homestead soon. Already have a nice handgun/100 rifle range lay-ed out, and looking at the best areas for up to 300 yd rifle.

I've got to go to a different part of my property to get out to 150 yards. Thats maximum. So many trees and hills to deal with. So for 200+ I have to go to a range. I can shoot upto 50yard just walking out my back door lol.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well, it doesn’t matter if it’s only 25 feet, having your own range is immeasurable in the effect it has on your ability (and enjoyment!).

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Well, it doesn’t matter if it’s only 25 feet, having your own range is immeasurable in the effect it has on your ability (and enjoyment!).

Too true! It is so easy to shoot for fun and training when the range is just outside the door (or a short walk).

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality

This is definite fact in my book. I like to not only like keep my skills sharp, I love working up loads for accuracy which being close to where the rounds are tested really saves on time behind the press.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is definite fact in my book. I like to not only like keep my skills sharp, I love working up loads for accuracy which being close to where the rounds are tested really saves on time behind the press.

This is the beauty of a backyard range. My son, friend, and I worked on a low pressure 45acp load the other day. I'd load up 15rds at a time test 5rds in 3 different pistols. If one failed to cycle reliably we went back into the air conditioned reload room added .2gr of powder to 15 more rds went out tested them. Makes working on loads much easier.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    This is the beauty of a backyard range. My son, friend, and I worked on a low pressure 45acp load the other day. I'd load up 15rds at a time test 5rds in 3 different pistols. If one failed to cycle reliably we went back into the air conditioned reload room added .2gr of powder to 15 more rds went out tested them. Makes working on loads much easier.

Out of caution, I mention: Don’t forget about temperature sensitivity of powder.

What “jussst” functions the pistols now, will almost certainly cause problems at 10 degrees F.

Same for the high end. Don’t develop “good ‘n’ hot” loads in February. Time you hit mid-July, those loads are blanking primers, or worse.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Out of caution, I mention: Don’t forget about temperature sensitivity of powder.

What “jussst” functions the pistols now, will almost certainly cause problems at 10 degrees F.

Same for the high end. Don’t develop “good ‘n’ hot” loads in February. Time you hit mid-July, those loads are blanking primers, or worse.

Good to know thanks.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    At our last place we had truck tires stacked and filled with dirt.
    Really miss having that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I learned a new term today.

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West
    Any range is a great range. I setup a few steel targets at my parents house, at least they don't care when I go home to shoot.

Top Bottom