• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Was using Remington Thunderbolt in my PPK/s and the barrel is boogered up with build up, can hardly get the cleaning brush through.

Any good products for dissolving this mess besides Hoppes 9?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Go to the grocery store and buy a all copper chore boy pot scrubber. Make sure it says ALL COPPER... Cut out a strand of it and wrap it around your bore brush and that will pull the lead out.
    I would say a Lewis Lead Remover but I believe that 32 cal is as small as the go.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    As Clay said, copper chore boy pot scrubber is the best affordable solution. I've been amazed at what it has pulled out of barrel rifling.
    --Rick

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is chore boy safe for 22lr barrels? I've always heard that 22lr barrels are easy to overdue the cleaning, to the point of damage?

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    chireboy copper is good to use and this is best solvent I’ve found. I did same thing to a victory couple years ago and was at wits end til I got this
    View attachment 88471

Was using Remington Thunderbolt in my PPK/s and the barrel is boogered up with build up, can hardly get the cleaning brush through.

Any good products for dissolving this mess besides Hoppes 9?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Try Montana X-treme Copper-Killer bore cleaner.
    You can get it at MidwayUSA, or many local shops.

WARNING
    Use in a VERY well ventilated area, or best, outdoors.
    Do NOT breathe the fumes.

The stuff works well, but can be a pain to use.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I use whatever penetrating oil I have on hand and copper chore boy wrapped around a bore brush. If it's real a stainless brush helps.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Kroil, best penetrating oil I have found, loosens stuck and rusty bolts etc. Discovered it in a gun cleaning kit years ago and using it ever since. Wet down the bore and let it sit for a while then hit it with a brush or Lewis lead remover. Jim.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The first thing stop using Thunderbolts they are known for this. I buy my copper wool from Brownells it is made from copper. The junk you find at wal mart is copper coated steel wool. Soak it with Kroll and scrub then repeat as often as necessary to clean the lead out. Out side is the best place to do this.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The first thing stop using Thunderbolts they are known for this. I buy my copper wool from Brownells it is made from copper. The junk you find at wal mart is copper coated steel wool. Soak it with Kroll and scrub then repeat as often as necessary to clean the lead out. Out side is the best place to do this.

Ahhhh nope.. Did you miss the part a few of us posted with All Copper?

View attachment 88487

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Blue wonder bore cleaner and a simple patch. I got turned on to this when I had a polished barrel that you can't use a brush on. It will dissolve the build up like using a torch on butter. Simply swab until clean and you don't have to worry about wear.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    it is crap ammo and not sure why. Assuming the lead is softer than most. It Started keyholing so I stopped shooting it and was surprised when I got home from range and looked at it. Bore snake wouldn’t even go thru barrel. It was a very limited number of rounds too. Maybe 200 before I stopped shooting. This stuff took it right out though

i haven’t really compared but I wonder if victory has aggressive grooves compared to most 22s.
    You too? My Victory was leaded something crazy from THunderbolt. The stuff isn't good in autoloaders.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Never had any trouble in my Victory with other ammo.

Then again, my CZ rifle eats THunderbolt ok. I think it has something to do with the lack of lube on several batches of t-bolt, plus a powder pressure curve that invites the breech to open before the bullet is obdurated well so it seal's poorly in the bore and you get hot gas blowing by the bullet and blowing liquid lead into the lands.

Weird that bolt guns almost never seem to have issues with t-bolt. But you hear of 10/22s also leading up with it.

Yes, it is crap. I'm trying to burn off all the Rem rimfire I own now and will never stockpile another Rem rimfire load ever.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Go to the grocery store and buy a all copper chore boy pot scrubber. Make sure it says ALL COPPER... Cut out a strand of it and wrap it around your bore brush and that will pull the lead out.
    I would say a Lewis Lead Remover but I believe that 32 cal is as small as the go.

CP is correct. I used some Missouri Bullets in my 9mm and they left a mess with just 150rds. I did my normal regime of cleaning looked down the barrel and was not a happy shooter.
    I bought some all copper chore boy from my local hardware store. Did what Clay P said, and chore boy copper cleaned the barrel up like new.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    great! you got the lead out!!!!!

I had trouble finding Copper chore boy ;however,

aluminum foil

wrap around a cleaning jag is "magic"

it does not harm steel in any way.

I safely clean a Winchester 1892 barrel that had barrel fouling very badly.

now shoots Missouri bullet casts bullets. it's exceptionally accurate.

also, use aluminum foil on my steel/chrome bike rims that got rusted. like new!

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    great! you got the lead out!!!!!

I had trouble finding Copper chore boy ;however,

aluminum foil

wrap around a cleaning jag is "magic"

it does not harm steel in any way.

I safely clean a Winchester 1892 barrel that had barrel fouling very badly.

now shoots Missouri bullet casts bullets. it's exceptionally accurate.

also, use aluminum foil on my steel/chrome bike rims that got rusted. like new!

Well thats great. And much cheaper. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom