• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Good evening guys and gals,

I am going to build a berm in my backyard and need some help. I live on 30 acres of land and it is legal in the county I live in (in case anyone is wondering).

My idea is to buy some railroad ties to support a pile of dirt from the back and sides of it. I will probably have to place a tie in front of the pile to keep the dirt from spreading.

My main questions are
    1) Where can I find railroad ties in Indiana? Or is there something else recommended?

My dad said I have to keep everything neat and tidy: simply dumping a big heep in the back isn't an option.

2) is clay a suitable material for a Backstop? My neighbor dug up his pond and has a mountain of the stuff lying around

3) How does you guys attach stacked ties? Drill holes through them and run rebar through the holes?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks. How would you attach them? Drill holes and run rebar?

I'd suggest treated 4x4s buried in the ground and cemented, then bolt the ties to the front of them, or lash them with rope until you can pile up the dirt to keep them in place.

But with that much land, why not just piles of dirt/clay/etc? I'd only use ties if I wanted to limit the depth of the berms or didnt have access to lots of soil. It sounds like you may have access to plenty of dirt and lots of room. And you want depth of soil to stop the bullets.

Personally I think you are over thinking it and you'd do fine with carefully piled berms of dirt.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'd suggest treated 4x4s buried in the ground and cemented, then bolt the ties to the front of them, or lash them with rope until you can pile up the dirt to keep them in place.

But with that much land, why not just piles of dirt/clay/etc? I'd only use ties if I wanted to limit the depth of the berms or didnt have access to lots of soil. It sounds like you may have access to plenty of dirt and lots of room. And you want depth of soil to stop the bullets.

Personally I think you are over thinking it and you'd do fine with carefully piled berms of dirt.

Agree with CM; if meeting the specifications of a "tidiness Luddite" is one of your project constraints, then I understand what you're trying to do. But a mound of dirt with some vegetation allowed to grow on it eventually blends into the landscape nicely.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agree with CM; if meeting the specifications of a "tidiness Luddite" is one of your project constraints, then I understand what you're trying to do. But a mound of dirt with some vegetation allowed to grow on it eventually blends into the landscape nicely.

Do the face in the ties as recommended and put a mound of that clay behind them. A deep mound. You can never have "TOO" much backstop.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I built a backstop for a Vet that I used to work for with railroad ties. WE drilled holes and stood 6X6 post up like we were running a fence and then stacked the ties in front of them. WE bought those long landscape screws and ran through the 6x6 post into the ties from the backside( this way we were less likely to hit them and cause a ricochet). WE then dragged every tree stump and log we could find on the property in behind the ties. WE then took his manure pile and backfilled on top of that. Everytime it rained we added more until we finally had it so that we could actually drive up the back side to the top of the ties. Didn't take long with the size pile and number of animals on the farm. His backstop ended up being about 8ft high

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    When I built my backstop, I put treated 4x4's up like fence posts and built a three sided box out of railroad ties (ties on the inside), one tie deep and two ties wide, 8 feet tall. After placing the ties, I lagged them to the 4x4 posts and placed diagonal supports on the outside to reinforce the fence posts. I then filled the box with a couple of triaxle loads of dirt. Clay will be fine, but put something on top that will grow grass to help with erosion. Your plan sounds similar to mine. It will will work great.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I built a 4’x4’platform 3’ off the ground with the base tilted forward about 10 degrees and 4’ high walls on three sides. Put a roof on it and dumped a tractor load of sand in it (about 10 cu ft) piled up against the back. I used it for years until it finally died a few months ago, working on V2 now.

I use a kitty litter scoop to get the bullets, most of them are completely intact and undeformed unless it hit another bullet. I ran a few LRN .45 cast through my sizing die, reloaded them and shot them again.

I shot everything I had pistol wise and rifle up to .308 (didn’t want to try my .50bmg) and other than piling the sand back against the back occasionally and adding a 5 gallon bucket of new sand, it took very little maintenance.

Bullets don’t travel very far in loose sand or clay. Deepest I ever had to dig was 6-8”.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Another vote for a big hill of dirt. That is exactly what it will be to most people. You could plant grass on it to speed up the vegetation growing process if you wanted.

The only issue with clay is that you can drill a hole as you shoot. The bigger the mound, the less of a problem that will be. My berm is mostly from the clay/dirt dug up when we widened our driveway years ago. If was in a big hill/mound out back. I just moved it and shaped it better. You could come by sometime and see it if you like, although right now it could use some weedeating. :):

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son is in process of building one now. He is planning on using used light poles from our local utility company and attaching plywood to the poles - he has used these poles before for other projects. As I recall they charge $2.00 each, bad part is that they are pretty hard to haul as they are quite long. He is planning to set two rows - can't remember how far apart then fill with dirt and a tri-axle of sand. It will be far enough apart with enough thickness of sand to stop a 50BMG as he is planning to shoot his there! We will also be shooting other high powers .308 mag, 30-06, 8mm etc. as well as handgun rounds.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Another vote for pile. Get some free fill like broken concrete chunks. Put the free clay on top. Shape it up nice like a u . Plant some grass and maybe a few trees. It will look nice.

Did this at the two sportsmen club ranges I belong to. Can even drive tractor on top or 4 wheelers. Keep it mowed on top. Makes for a nice walking path. Looks great and is a lot less cost and work.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Thank you for all of the responses guys. I really appreciate it.

2 acres of the property is our yard. The rest of the property is cattle pasture and hay fields. My dad wants to keep it nice and tidy because because these two acres is the only spot with nice grass.

All of shooting will be done with 22 LR, 9mm, 38, 357, 45, and rifles for sighting in. If I intended for more rifle shooting I would advocate harder for a larger berm. I am happy with what I have

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I staked my railroad ties using cut rebar. Used a massive drill bit to bore them, used an angle grinder to make a nail tip point on the rebar. Drove them in using a mini sledge hammer

As far as a source at this time, I don’t know. I found mine from a local company who had tracks replaced and had them, by luck.

I considered treated lumber but the cost was too much for what I wanted

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I ran rebar thru the first two stacks.
    47940_1405235695830_7212684_n.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you know of any railroad that has replaced the ties you can ask if they'd mind if you got some, that's where I got mine.

My backstops are set up very similar to semperfi211's. I also got some rubber sheeting to put over the fill to help keep it from washing. I also move my target around to help keep the wear and tear equalized.

Top Bottom