• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently downsized the range bag and in the process of re-organizing the BOB's in the vehicles. I came across this nifty kit on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P1FX1P...&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B07P1FX1PV
    Hoppe's has been my go to for the longest time more like forever. This has all I need for the range bag and BOB's. I like the small oiler bottle.

What's your favorite products to keep things clean and running...??

Cleaner 2 oilers and patches.
    QQWy3Mg.jpg

I like this. I have medical Hypo's on the gun bench with the different oils/sauces and blends.
    x3A7DBR.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Let me know how it rides in a vehicle. I had a bottle of lube in my "range box" that I leave in my vehicle all the time and somehow it has leaked and soaked a lot of the stuff that I had around it.

I need a small bottle of lube that won't leak.

Of course, like most, I grew up with Hoppe's #9, but my cleaning area is in my furnace room and even though there is no direct cold air return in that room, it's a small room and the smell got too strong.

I now use Weapon Shield products and I'm still working my last can of Break Free CLP.

Lubes and cleaners last me for years and years. I don't use a lot of product and I gave up full strip cleaning after every range visit several years ago.

I clean them when I'm not going to shoot them for awhile and when they start oozing black junk all over my hands and gear.:)

Last edited:

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I like the hoppes elite cleaner and oil it doesnt really have a smell and works great removing caked on carbon off of ar bolts.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I like ballistol to clean and I typically use inox to lube. Hoppes smell gets to me for some reason the last few years. Never had a problem with it before. Must be middle age

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let me know how it rides in a vehicle. I had a bottle of lube in my "range box" that I leave in my vehicle all the time and somehow it has leaked and soaked a lot of the stuff that I had around it.

Of course, like most, I grew up with Hoppe's #9, but my cleaning area is in my furnace room and even though there is no direct cold air return in that room, it's a small room and the smell got too strong.

I now use Weapon Shield products and I'm still working my last can of Break Free CLP.

Lubes and cleaners last me for years and years. I don't use a lot of product and I gave up full strip cleaning after every range visit several years ago.

I clean them when I'm not going to shoot them for awhile and when they start oozing black junk all over my hands and gear.:)

Good point. The cap on the lube bottle stinger is pretty tight. I suppose it might be an issue if it gets into a tight place. Might put it in a Zip-Lock until I know how it will set.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I carry these in the BOB and range bag.

483161-best-gun-cleaning-product-you-use.html
    71tiWEpcYgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70004-P..._i=B017L1MOJA&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_1_dv_vtp_1_t

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I've been doing some long term testing on shooter's lube. About 700-800 rds using both their cleaner and oil. Can confirm cleaner in AR platforms as G2G. Breaks down carbon really fast.

Say what you will but I've had success, with certain guns, on using Mobil1 full synthetic HM as a lube. The conditions are quite similar in both operations.

As for portable oil storage: A coworker of mine had one of these on his desk. I asked what for. He's a vaper. He gave me a few empties. Wash, dry, and fill with desired liquid. Neat little guy that also fits in the grip of certain makes. 10ml and up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773K6KW...kCode=iil&ascsubtag=amzn1.ideas.2KSFO2CUSRRIH
    200c6988c0e82ffe5fb620e429e8268b.jpg

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My go to cleaner is still Hoppes #9. I have tried many others over the years, but Hoppes just works for me.

I too would keep an eye on them if stored in BOBs and or vehicles for leaks. I have had bottles like the ones pictured ooze out before.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I confess to being a guy who has way more oils and lubes than he should.

I buy the little needle dispenser bottles from Hobby Lobby. (perfect for many little things from gun oil to soldering flux).

Lately I've been using a CLP product called RadcoLube. It's a lube made to the new super-stringent DoD spec that G96 Synthetic also meets. I googled the MIL-PRF-63460F and this lube and G96 are the only approved oils per the mil spec.

Anyway, decided to try it.

It cleans surprisingly well. It's especially great on pistols and BCGs and such. I never really considered a CLP viable. I always thought for sure you had to use a separate solvent and oil and such. Not only does it clean pretty well, but I leaves no sticky film. In fact, you can wipe it almost completely off with a dry cloth and leave behind just the super-thin film that's necessary.

If I had to take only one product with me to keep my guns up and running, this would be it. I'm sure the G96 synthetic is as good.

It's also pretty cheap at $80/gal for gun oil/CLP. On a per-ounce basis, that is WAY cheaper than most CLPs you'll see sold. Most gun products are well over $1/ounce. This stuff is about $0.60/oz. And it's strong enough that a little goes a long way.

Finally, it has little to no smell. Even though it has no graphite, it smells a tiny bit like pencil lead.

I'm really liking this stuff. The quart spray bottle is what I bought so I'll have a smaller container when I buy the gallon.

EDIT TO ADD: G96 is likely superior to Radco even though the both meet the spec because G96 met stringent requirements that were later removed from the spec because nobody else could meet them.
    [video=youtube_share;Np_m8jYDJMA]https://youtu.be/Np_m8jYDJMA[/video]
    H

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hoppes #9 and Ballistol. I stay away from old nickel plate with Hoppes because of the ammonia. Still use STP as a lube.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    When I'm cleaning the burn marks off a revolver cylinder face or around the forcing cone, I've had really good luck with Flitz Bore Cleaner and a small nylon bristle brush. It's like a magic eraser for carbon. Use with caution on a blued gun, but it's not like a lead-away cloth that will quickly take a blued finish right off. It will also polish a bead-blasted finish if you're too aggressive, but bead blast finishes are about as weak as they come IMHO. For lube I had been using Lucas Synthetic in the past, but kind of prefer Slip 2000, sometimes mixed with a dash of Permatex Moly engine assembly lube that CM turned me onto a while back. That combination is super slick and the Permatex seems to keep the mixture from running all over the place like a lot of the synthetic lubes tend to do.

Hohn, good call on the needle dispenser from Hobby Lobby. That *might* be a reason to go there with the Mrs on her next trip!

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Clean with whatever I have on hand. PB Blaster, Kroil, WD...lube with some left over Lucas 20-50 at the moment.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Recently switched from Ballistol to G96. Good friend of mine recommended it and I've been pretty happy so far. Shot about 2,000 rounds of steel case through my SBR AR15 before I cleaned it and the G96 cleaned up the fouling pretty well. Also cleaned my EDC after a couple of classes (approx 800 rounds) and my Shadow Systems MR920 after it's maiden voyage and I'm pretty impressed with how the G96 cut through all that carbon (combination of plated, lead, and steel case ammo).

Also, my 13 year old thinks it smells like bubble gum. If the girl's happy, what more can you ask!

Top Bottom