LTCH - when is your card taken from you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    Someone reached out on Armslist who "lost his wallet" but was able to send me a pic of his LTCH. I ran him through Delvepoint (I'm an investigator + attorney) and he came up clean. However, I was still suspicious so I checked on Indiana Courts and that's where I found he has a suspended DL + a recent traffic stop / arrest for driving while suspended + MJ.

Is the LTCH taken from you if you have a suspended license and/or have a pending criminal case? What he's charged with doesn't seem to rise to a level where his right to own a firearm would be revoked, but I'm not sure if for LTCH it's a lower threshold since that's carry vs. ownership.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Mine gets taken when I hand my wallet to my wife when she needs to use the credit card, but I get it back within 5 min.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Thanks for today's best laugh------so far. Lost wallet is a legendary INGO thread. Someone will link it shortly.

BTW, this guy makes some mighty fine choices. It's the "+"s that get a feller in trouble.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Driving offenses are not used to revoke someone's handgun license unless its a felony and the licensee is convicted.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Do you still consider him a propper person? 50 good posts and you can trade here. You will be able to get a handle on people here. I prefer to trade with INGO members.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Pretty sure the MJ would preclude him from keeping his LTCH. I would have thought on CONVICTION rather than just arrest, but not sure there either.

Yeah, not that helpful. Guess I need to re-read the "proper person" IC.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I don’t see how ISP would even know about it unless the arresting officer wrote a revocation letter. It’s not like they’re constantly running backgrounds on LTCH holders.

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    I don’t see how ISP would even know about it unless the arresting officer wrote a revocation letter. It’s not like they’re constantly running backgrounds on LTCH holders.

Well, afaik, on a traffic stop the officer is told when he runs your plate if you're a license holder, so from that point on I'd assume the LTCH is somehow in the conversation either during the arrest and/or arraignment. A bit more research seems to indicate if the misdemeanor carriers a potential penalty of > 12 months that can get it pulled. Either way, so far today the guy hasn't called back.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Friend of mine went through a divorce like 20 years ago. The soon to be ex filed for a protective order and, as these things worked then, a temporary one was granted pending a hearing. She immediately faxed a copy to the State Police saying they should take his guns, revoke his LTCH, etc. ISP sent him a letter ordering him to appear in Indianapolis at a hearing on the revocation of his LTCH. His attorney was able to get the hearing cancelled by having him voluntarily sending in his LTCH conditionally until the protective order hearing. He got it back about 2 weeks after that hearing went his way.

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Well, afaik, on a traffic stop the officer is told when he runs your plate if you're a license holder, so from that point on I'd assume the LTCH is somehow in the conversation either during the arrest and/or arraignment. A bit more research seems to indicate if the misdemeanor carriers a potential penalty of > 12 months that can get it pulled. Either way, so far today the guy hasn't called back.

Why would it be brought up at arraignment? Even if it was then someone with the local jurisdiction would have to notify ISP and in my experience that does not happen. There is no system in place for that to my knowledge. The only time I've ever mentioned an LTCH on an affidavit is when they get arrested for carrying without said license.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Someone reached out on Armslist who "lost his wallet" but was able to send me a pic of his LTCH. I ran him through Delvepoint (I'm an investigator + attorney) and he came up clean. However, I was still suspicious so I checked on Indiana Courts and that's where I found he has a suspended DL + a recent traffic stop / arrest for driving while suspended + MJ.

Is the LTCH taken from you if you have a suspended license and/or have a pending criminal case? What he's charged with doesn't seem to rise to a level where his right to own a firearm would be revoked, but I'm not sure if for LTCH it's a lower threshold since that's carry vs. ownership.

If you abuse illicit substances you are not lawfully able to possess a firearm. Selling to this individual would be a crime.

Top Bottom