• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did an advanced search and found some older threads that sorta addressed this, but a lot of the posters are either not here anymore or they don't post much so I'm starting a new one.

I have mentioned in a couple threads that even though my day to day life has not changed much due to COVID, my mindset is changing due to the amount of unrest in our country/world.

I'm getting red dots on my pistols after being stubborn for the last 5 years trying everything under the sun to be able to use irons, I swallowed my pride and accepted that I am older and with needing readers and being cross dominant, it's time to call it day with irons. I have had scopes on my rifles for years as it is.

I built an AR for run and gun a few years ago, but I'm not doing that. But I could use a well equipped one for personal defense whether in the home or in the car or on the move, if life would ever put me in such a situation. I can see myself carrying this in my vehicle when not too long ago, I felt my pistol was fine.

This firearm has an A2 style fixed stock and a 1.25-4X scope on it currently. My thought is to swap out the fixed stock for a collapsible stock and the scope for a red dot. This way, my primary firearms all have the same sighting platforms.

So, what suggestions do you all have for stocks and a red dot?

Other suggestions on thing to do with it or add to it are welcome too!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Magpul Moe Stocks are a good start. They are well built and functional. There are a large variety in stocks. I usually keep it simple and just run a basic stock. I have a couple Magpul and Tapco stocks. It is a deep rabbit hole and you could spend hours looking at different varieties. Red Dots are about the same. I currently have a couple Vortex red dots and 1 Aimsport. all seem to function really well and I haven't had any trouble with them on rifles from 223 to 458. I am also looking to get a Sig Romeo5 for my AR45 that i just built. I am interested in it's auto on feature when you pick up the rifle since it will probably be a truck gun.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I second the Magpul stocks. I'm not a fanboi, they fit my budget and needs. As far as red dots go, there are a lot of choices. I have an Aimpoint Comp2 on my work rifle and have owned a couple of Aimpoint Pros. My personal rifle has a Primary Arms red dot on it. It all depends on what you like and want to pay. If you are near Indy I'd be glad to show you my sights.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks Fixer and Frank!

I think I'm decided on the Magpul STR for a stock. I had one on my very first build and with that "lock", I liked the way it didn't rattle.

I was thinking Aimpoint, but I'll look at the Primary Arms. Which Primary Arms model do you have?

As you can surmise Frank_N_Stein, this isn't a "duty" rifle since I am not military or LE. However, I would be trusting my life with it so it has to have a certain amount of robustness.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks Fixer and Frank!

I think I'm decided on the Magpul STR for a stock. I had one on my very first build and with that "lock", I liked the way it didn't rattle.

I was thinking Aimpoint, but I'll look at the Primary Arms.

As you can surmise Frank_N_Stein, this isn't a "duty" rifle since I am not military or LE. However, I would be trusting my life with it so it has to have a certain amount of robustness.

I hear you. There are plenty of quality dot sights out there, you just have to figure out what you like and how much you want to pay.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Aimpoint's are nice. Just never was able to pull the trigger on that price tag. I have a Vortex Strikefire2 that is similar to the Aimpoint and has held up great on my 458 Socom. The thing that intrigued me on the SIG was the Motac feature. For a defensive gun not fumbling to turn on the sight sounds like a great feature.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Magpul Moe Stocks are a good start. They are well built and functional. There are a large variety in stocks. I usually keep it simple and just run a basic stock. I have a couple Magpul and Tapco stocks. It is a deep rabbit hole and you could spend hours looking at different varieties. Red Dots are about the same. I currently have a couple Vortex red dots and 1 Aimsport. all seem to function really well and I haven't had any trouble with them on rifles from 223 to 458. I am also looking to get a Sig Romeo5 for my AR45 that i just built. I am interested in it's auto on feature when you pick up the rifle since it will probably be a truck gun.

Since it is motion activated, wouldn't it be on most of the time the truck is in motion?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Since it is motion activated, wouldn't it be on most of the time the truck is in motion?

Yes, shake awake optics will turn on when jarred. Thus they will always be on in a vehicle.

Just stick to aimpoint or trijicon for a serious use rifle.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I found this online about the feature and it's sensitivity. Still like the feature for a gun that you may need to deploy quickly.

[FONT=&amp]The Romeo5 and other Sig Electro Optics that have MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination) are very sensitive to any motion or even vibration.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]From Sig Sauer: MOTAC increases battery life by shutting down the system when not in use and instantly activates the system when it senses the slightest vibration or movement. Your sight will be up when you go into action. The ROMEO5 will mount on any platform and the solid aluminum design will give peak performance and years of service.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]We have sold thousands of Romeo5 optics and have never seen one that had a defective MOTAC feature. To test the MOTAC feature, turn on the optic and place the optic on a solid surface that has no vibration (a table top, desk, or chair) in a manner in which you can look through and see the dot without having to move or touch the optic. Ensure that there is nothing which might create a vibration and let the optic sit for approximately one minute. The reticle should turn off. You can look through the optic and see that the Romeo5 shuts itself off. If you tap or even slightly move the optic, it will turn back on.[/FONT]

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would not have the funds to add an Aimpoint or Trijicon to all my AR style rifles. Maybe if I win the lotto.

You don't have to do them all, just the ones you would go to in a "emergency situation". For the range guns, you can go with something less expensive.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't think I'll go with an Aimpoint unless I can score a deal. I just got sicker shock looking at some.:)

If I was to go with them, which model would you guys recommend?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't think I'll go with an Aimpoint unless I can score a deal. I just got sicker shock looking at some.:)

If I was to go with them, which model would you guys recommend?

The Pro and the Comp M2 are going to be the "cheaper" options. You can find them used sometimes. The Primary Arms microdot (that I have on my personal SBR) is $150-ish.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to this subject. Last summer I went through all of my AR's and made them as close to the same as possible operations wise. The serious pieces or go too's all have Eotechs now. The rest have the same model Vortec. I did the triggers BCG's you name it,. They are all as identical save for color as possible. Even the lights of the HD pieces.
    No issues with fumbling about. Everything pretty much operates the same.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thanks Fixer and Frank!

I was thinking Aimpoint, but I'll look at the Primary Arms. Which Primary Arms model do you have?

You may already know this, so apologies if that's the case and you just didn't mention it. If you currently have an A2 stock and want to switch to that Magpul STR collapsible stock, you'll need to buy a carbine length buffer tube in mil-spec diameter, along with a carbine buffer, carbine spring, an end plate and castle nut. Your rifle length buffer tube, buffer and spring that you're using won't work with the Magpul STR you mentioned or any other collapsible stock for that matter. You can buy a whole stock kit, a stock and a buffer tube kit separately, or each piece separately.

On the red dot. If you want Aimpoint quality, but can deal with a slightly larger red dot, the Aimpoint Pro usually runs around $430 new. A Trijicon MRO is popular for around the same $$$. Less than that, go with a Holosun, Primary Arms or Sig Romeo5.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Why would a red dot optic be superior to your 1.25 - 4X scope. I just did the opposite. I replaced a red dot with a 1-6X scope. As I get older, I like having the magnification. In fact, all the cool gun guys are running LPV optics on AR Pistols for some reason.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Why would a red dot optic be superior to your 1.25 - 4X scope. I just did the opposite. I replaced a red dot with a 1-6X scope. As I get older, I like having the magnification. In fact, all the cool gun guys are running LPV optics on AR Pistols for some reason.

Funny you should say that. I have been playing around with it a bit and was thinking, why change?

With the scope, being cross dominant I do have to close my left eye to see through the scope, but maybe with more practice I can overcome that. Once I get a sight alignment, I can open my left eye but the recoil blacks it back out.

I was thinking that with a RD, I wouldn't have that problem.

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    FWIW, I built a 300 blackout pistol with a Sig Romeo 5 and LAW Tactical folding buffer adapter for just the type of situation you're describing. It fulfilled it's purpose a few weeks back when I carried it in a backpack in an otherwise impermissible (but not illegal) environment.

I'm pretty sure the battery in the Romeo 5 will last years even if on constantly, so if it sees this type of use consistently, I'll just replace the battery annually.

I'd love an optic that costs twice what I paid for the pistol, but I don't have a $10M life insurance policy either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom