Considering the way 9mm is going, does a CZ Scorpion make sense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    To expand on the title, does it make sense as a new purchase as primary SHTF firearm?

Why? I was looking to purchase a CZ Scorpion within the next month. Had been going between that and an AR pistol for a while and decided the ammo was cheaper and that it would fit my needs better.

In the past 2 months we have all seen what’s going on with 9mm. It’s either out of stock or more expensive than .45/.223. I have enough 9mm for my pistols. But the first trip to the range I’d put a big dent into what I have (not going to lie).

Does it make more sense to look at a different round or platform?

Reloading is not an option right now. Maybe down the road but not at the present time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No.

Its ALL expensive/nearly unavailable now. There is no ammo that isnt hard to find.

It will eventually calm down. Maybe not for a long time, but it MUST calm down eventually. Hopefully after the election at least.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    9mm, or 556/223 are both hard to find right now. I love my Scorpion, it is a great gun to shoot. If you have other 9mm guns, then it makes sense to get one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    9mm is not "going" anywhere. Just because there is a panic buy on right now does not mean it will last forever. Every single time we've had one of these "crisis" many of us beat the drum of stocking up when it is plentiful, and every time people come out of the woodwork complaining they can't buy something at Walmart the instant they want it. The only people I have sympathy for are the brand new shooters, and even then my sympathy is limited because many of them were not gun people until it looked like they might not be able to be.

The only "sense" is to reload and to stock up when it is available. With reloading, you are only held hostage to primer and powder production and those are super cheap and easy to stock up. Changing platforms just means you'll hit a shortage of something else at some point.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I haven't had any trouble up here in lake county finding 115 gr fmj range ammo and a couple boxes of defense ammo here and there, I like the 147gr for shooting suppressed though and that is indeed hard to find right now.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I haven't had any trouble up here in lake county finding 115 gr fmj range ammo and a couple boxes of defense ammo here and there, I like the 147gr for shooting suppressed though and that is indeed hard to find right now.

I have a lot of Federal 147gr HST.
    I bought nothing but ammo when it was cheap. Like stocking up on TP before Corona, I had no idea it was coming. But it's not going to go to waste.

Well, maybe it is.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Each time something happens I re-examine what I'm doing and what direction I want to be heading after we come out of it. I am sitting happy this time. I've made a game of spreading out where I store caches. Geocaching years ago gave me insight into what works and just how easy it is to cache stuff where it won't be found. After this one I am getting back into reloading, and will start stocking supplies for that. I had been a little slow in collecting brass and lead, but had been working on powder and primers. I still think I am only going to run a single stage press. It was all I needed when I used to reload.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I just purchased a PSA AKV9 and couldn't be happier, I looked at the scorpion but in my case in order to make it somewhat better needs a few improvements. The AKV9 with the ALG trigger is perfect out of the box and just added a red dot and it was gtg.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    No.

Its ALL expensive/nearly unavailable now. There is no ammo that isnt hard to find.

It will eventually calm down. Maybe not for a long time, but it MUST calm down eventually. Hopefully after the election at least.

Ironically, a Biden win would help ammo availability. Because those on the Right don't threaten to burn the whole thing down because they lost an election. Also, ammo bans and mag restrictions will curttail demand a good bit in the long run. Short run, could be a problem.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    To expand on the title, does it make sense as a new purchase as primary SHTF firearm?

Why? I was looking to purchase a CZ Scorpion within the next month. Had been going between that and an AR pistol for a while and decided the ammo was cheaper and that it would fit my needs better.

In the past 2 months we have all seen what’s going on with 9mm. It’s either out of stock or more expensive than .45/.223. I have enough 9mm for my pistols. But the first trip to the range I’d put a big dent into what I have (not going to lie).

Does it make more sense to look at a different round or platform?

Reloading is not an option right now. Maybe down the road but not at the present time.

Divorce is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Don't divorce 9mm when you know it will eventually get better.

Reloading is always an option if you go with a primitive SHTF setup that it inconvenient and a bit of a hassle. If nothing else, stockpile components because somebody will much more readily let you borrow a press than sell you ammo.

Seriously, don't be so sure that you can't get into reloading.

After the last scare I got my loading gear. It's paid for itself in less than 2 years of match ammo production for .223. And I have the ability to whip up 9mm if necessary. Not necessarily economical or practical to make 9mm plinking ammo as it's generally cheaper to buy. But when it's the difference between have and have not, that's more than just a make/buy decision.

[video=youtube;ziVc4Hv4ijI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziVc4Hv4ijI&list=PLTTrjvDib94kQC666VdPNPpF QtZEr7SgM[/video]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It doesn't make sense when you can get a stribog cheaper

Can also now get one of those 9mm Ruger PCC Chassis things for less $, too.

But the Scorpion is WAY more attractive than the Stribog and there are WAY better mag options (Hello, PSA!!!) for the Scorpion than the Stribog.

If all I cared about were cost - Stribog would've been a contender. But it's too ugly and have plastic feed lips on the proprietary mags.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Can also now get one of those 9mm Ruger PCC Chassis things for less $, too.

But the Scorpion is WAY more attractive than the Stribog and there are WAY better mag options (Hello, PSA!!!) for the Scorpion than the Stribog.

If all I cared about were cost - Stribog would've been a contender. But it's too ugly and have plastic feed lips on the proprietary mags.

They have metal reinforced mags now. I'll take the plastic mags breaking over plastic receivers blowing up and breaking. They replace mags for free. I've had 1 mag fully loaded for 5 months with no cracking. My 3 that get used also have no cracking.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    9mm is tough to find but not impossible. Yeah, it's more than it used to be but there's still $.30 a round ammo out there. Just picked up 500 rounds of Blazer for $150 including tax at Dunhams in Anderson.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    The usual answer is "That depends." Honestly, do you want to be the guy holding a PCC when the shumer hits the fan? Same deal with an AR pistol.

Somebody help me out here. What can a PCC or an AR pistol do that cannot be done by another firearm, sometimes even better. I am aware that there are jurisdictions where having a "pistol" is permitted whereas a rifle is not.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The usual answer is "That depends." Honestly, do you want to be the guy holding a PCC when the shumer hits the fan? Same deal with an AR pistol.

Somebody help me out here. What can a PCC or an AR pistol do that cannot be done by another firearm, sometimes even better. I am aware that there are jurisdictions where having a "pistol" is permitted whereas a rifle is not.

Not every gun has to be a shtf. You cannot shoot pcc competitions with rifle calibers, suppressors are generally heavier for rifle calibers, pcc's are much softer shooting than rifle calibers, I can fit 3 30 round mags in a single 30 round AR pouch, pcc's are fun.

Would I be upset with only my stribog in mad max igloo edition? No it's a pretty effective piece.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Not every gun has to be a shtf. You cannot shoot pcc competitions with rifle calibers, suppressors are generally heavier for rifle calibers, pcc's are much softer shooting than rifle calibers, I can fit 3 30 round mags in a single 30 round AR pouch, pcc's are fun.

Would I be upset with only my stribog in mad max igloo edition? No it's a pretty effective piece.

I am not oppost to PCCs, they could be useful. But the OP said this was to be his SHTF go-to gun, or did I not understand what he meant?

BTW: Are we not past the time when the 'S' has actually 'HTF' or is SHTF another way to say the November election or something else entirely?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Right now is a pretty awful time to buy anything unless you absolutely need it.

Top Bottom