Target shooting without a proper backstop - bad idea!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikew773

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    Anyone see this from the Cass County Sheriff's office? Individuals were target shooting without a proper back stop and in the direction of a highway. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Attachments

• Cass County Sheriff's Office.jpg
      Cass County Sheriff's Office.jpg
      239.5 KB · Views: 156

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Scanner started out saying it was an active shooter and to shelter inside. Didn’t take to long to rescind that but scared a lot of folks over there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I lived in Virginia, it was required by law to have a proper backstop. I thought the same here and told my boss one day just that.

He called the sheriff department on a neighbor that was just shooting off into the woods behind their property. The sheriff came out and said, "no, it is not required by law to have a backstop. You are just responsible for each round you fire. He didn't talk to the shooters or do anything else.

Is this accurate?

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I didn't see the article, but we had a case here in IN some years ago. A gunsmith was working on a 1911 at home. He finished late and wanted to test fire the gun. He lived in a wooded area, so he went out on his back porch and fired of a round into the woods. Luck was not with him that day. The round traveled 200 yards, hit a house, and then hit a man in the head as he was sleeping in his bed.

Yea, he could have fired into the ground, but no.

Sad story.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When I lived in Virginia, it was required by law to have a proper backstop. I thought the same here and told my boss one day just that.

He called the sheriff department on a neighbor that was just shooting off into the woods behind their property. The sheriff came out and said, "no, it is not required by law to have a backstop. You are just responsible for each round you fire. He didn't talk to the shooters or do anything else.

Is this accurate?

It is. My initial post on INGO resulted from my search for information regarding a situation with a neighbor who thought trees made adequate backstops and shooting into the woods was perfectly acceptable. We had to prove the damage to our property (hired a forester to assess the damage and provide a report for the court) and provide evidence of where the bullets were fired. We were able to document everything, and the neighbor was convicted of criminal recklessness. The judge banned him from shooting on his property for as long as he lives there. A consequence of being convicted of a crime that involved use of a firearm was the loss of his LTCH. It was way more than I was asking for as we just wanted him to build a proper backstop so we could safely enjoy our property again.

My research resulted in some interesting finds...the lack of a law requiring a backstop was surprising, but there is none. Some areas have a local ordinance that requires it, but ours does not. The person shooting is legally responsible for every round that leaves their property and any damage that results from them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It is. My initial post on INGO resulted from my search for information regarding a situation with a neighbor who thought trees made adequate backstops and shooting into the woods was perfectly acceptable. We had to prove the damage to our property (hired a forester to assess the damage and provide a report for the court) and provide evidence of where the bullets were fired. We were able to document everything, and the neighbor was convicted of criminal recklessness. The judge banned him from shooting on his property for as long as he lives there. A consequence of being convicted of a crime that involved use of a firearm was the loss of his LTCH. It was way more than I was asking for as we just wanted him to build a proper backstop so we could safely enjoy our property again.

My research resulted in some interesting finds...the lack of a law requiring a backstop was surprising, but there is none. Some areas have a local ordinance that requires it, but ours does not. The person shooting is legally responsible for every round that leaves their property and any damage that results from them.

Thanks mom! Tee hee. I always wanted to say that to you.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

From a legislative standpoint, seems like the what you describe is probably a cleaner way to write the law from an accountability standpoint, than defining a proper backstop. That said, it sounds like it makes enforcement more difficult at the time of an event for LEO.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My brother almost got shot in his garage last year by some people the next road over believing a pallet made for an acceptable backstop. After the round came through the garage and hit the wall beside him (he didn't hear the shot) he walked outside trying to determine what was going on and a couple more rounds hit the house. He figured out real quick what was going on and found some cover while calling the Sheriff's Dept. I don't know that the shooters were charged with anything but they did reimburse my brother for the damages.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I remember reading that post right after you wrote it Mom.

Epic.....:):

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I didn't see the article, but we had a case here in IN some years ago. A gunsmith was working on a 1911 at home. He finished late and wanted to test fire the gun. He lived in a wooded area, so he went out on his back porch and fired of a round into the woods. Luck was not with him that day. The round traveled 200 yards, hit a house, and then hit a man in the head as he was sleeping in his bed.

Yea, he could have fired into the ground, but no.

Sad story.

If memory serves me correct, this happened right outside of Monrovia, Indiana.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    A couple years ago I came home and noticed my truck and garage had been shot. Found a jacketed steel core round in my back seat. My place is in a 10 acre woods I own 5 and my neighbor owns the other 5. Our houses are about 150 yards apart but you can't see the houses. My neighbors house had been empty for a few years( never met him) that day I drove around to his house, nobody there. I called the police and made a report. Several weeks later while at the fire station another neighbor called me and said they are shooting again, by the time police got there no one there. This happened again a few weeks after that, same results.
    Then one day I can home got some meat out of the freezer in the garage, went in the house and heard shots. I immediately went around to block the drive and called the sheriff deputy( I had his cell number from the last couple of times) he came right away. Told me to go home and he would come talk to me after talking to them. I went home checking for any damage, found 3 new rounds through my garage. Two rounds were right above the chest freezer door where I was standing a couple minutes before. I called the deputy to tell him about the new damage.
    Later he came to my house to tell me it was the homeowners son shooting into a washer with the trees for a backstop direct in line of my house. He was shooting a AK-47, that explained the steel core round. The deputy did another report and got me the contact information to the dad. When I call the dad he said he didn't know his son was going out there shooting, he apologize and wanted me to get some estimates. I got a couple estimates for the garage and truck. He tried to weasel out on paying then but decided it was in his best interest to pay now before I took it any further.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom