• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So work is crazy right now between all the work around the homestead, tornado repair, and Life. Well over the weekend a long time friend came over for some Barbecue and he and his wife were genuinely worried about the level of crazy that appears to becoming the new normal. He is former Canadian citizen who legally became a US citizen.

He knows what I do for a living and in the past has said that he thought I was a bit over the top for never going anywhere unarmed. He confided that he was concerned for his wife’s and daughters safety. It appears there was an incident at their place and it took sometime for a response, it turned ok and however it planted a serious seed of doubt, and a sense of Urgency. He also said he had gone to some lgs and he was very disappointed with the end result and felt like getting pushed towards what the salesman wanted to sell.

We had a nice supper and I offered to take him out to the Range. Really glad I had just brush hogged back there and recently put in lighting out there as well. At first he was almost paranoid and almost afraid to touch a firearm. I showed him our sign that is out at the range, it has the four rules for safe handling. After a bit I showed him how to grip a pistol, Basic sight alignment, and

I went over how to check to be sure a pistol is clear, how to insert a magazine, the proper sequence for unloading a semi auto. Then we moved on to him handling a cleared 92G he dry fired it a few times, then we basically did the same for my SR9c, Sig 365, and my 1911.

Well Sunday he and his wife came over and we went out to the Range and we reviewed safe handling again to the point where he was comfortable and ready to try some live fire. I let him try a few and he decided that for him the 9 mm seemed to be the best fit.

Fast forward a bit he is now an owner of a Made in Tennessee Beretta. He was a bit worried about not being able to get any ammo for it. So it looks like he will be coming over Sunday night for some range time. I told him When he comes over this weekend I will have a few small gifts for him, a laminated card with the 4 rules on it and some ammo for him. It was really kind of nice getting a sincere thank you, and a you know I get it now, and I am sorry for thinking you were a bit extreme.

When we became friend he learned to sign not something many would do and I feel honored for being able to help him begin the process of being more responsible for his and his family’s safety

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's amazing what folks can learn from one another when they are open to it (even at a later time), vs the cancel culture we live in today.

Sounds like he's a good friend to you, and you are to him as well.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I had a very similar experience with a co worker a few weeks back. It’s a good feeling. Well done sir!

sonny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2020
    Danville
    I feel alot of people are seeing the need to practice their 2nd amendment right in these days. Things have changed so much this year it has alot of people thinking and planning on how to protect themselves and their loved ones

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Good on you.

I had a similar encounter with a long time friend. She had someone try to crawl through a bedroom window while she was home. Scared the hell out of her. She came to me wanting help in buying a gun. This woman is the sweetest person I have ever known. She told me she didn't want to hurt anyone, just scare them. I talked her out of a handgun, I knew she couldn't possibly use it. She had an alarm system installed.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Thanks, I think it also helped me appreciate, diversity, kind of funny how he would make fun of me in a nice way about me being armed for most of the waking hours of the day. I work a lot, and running the farm is time consuming as well, but I am glad I was able to help, I pray he will never be in a position to need it. But I feel good knowing that he is taking an active role in keeping his family safer.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Good on you.

I had a similar encounter with a long time friend. She had someone try to crawl through a bedroom window while she was home. Scared the hell out of her. She came to me wanting help in buying a gun. This woman is the sweetest person I have ever known. She told me she didn't want to hurt anyone, just scare them. I talked her out of a handgun, I knew she couldn't possibly use it. She had an alarm system installed.

Good for you, it’s important to know your limitations. In situations like that it’s probably better for her not to have a handgun. But Dogs are a good option as well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oooh! Sounds like fun! An enclosed room full of bear spray!

Convince her there is evil that needs killing in this world and teach her that a gun is her best defense. That ass coming through the window was not bringing her candy and flowers.

If she is the type that is unwilling to pull the trigger, the gun may be a liability.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Good for you, it’s important to know your limitations. In situations like that it’s probably better for her not to have a handgun. But Dogs are a good option as well.

I completely agree. The one on the left weighs 105 pounds and is pure muscle.

Jake & Doc.jpg

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If she is the type that is unwilling to pull the trigger, the gun may be a liability.

She may be that way with her initial thinking, but once put into a situation when there is a bad guy or guys coming through that window or threatening her life that thought process is thrown to the side and survival instincts kick in VERY quickly.

With many of my liberal lady friends, I have poised this question....

"Would you rather live the rest of your life, knowing you protected your self, or live with the endless mental trauma and dreams of being raped and beaten to the edge of death every single second for for the rest of your life?"

Not one of them has ever said the latter in bold text.

BigOgre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2020
    USA
    I don't want to say where I work but there are a lot of liberals. I have talked to several over the years about guns and offered to take them shooting, none have which took me up on it.
    Recently several have approached me about what I feel they should buy and I know of three that did purchase firearms. 2 of them absolutely amazed me that they did.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . If she is the type that is unwilling to pull the trigger, the gun may be a liability.

This. I'm thinking being in a room full of bear spray with an attacker whose hopes of no resistance and an easy score have been thoroughly shattered is preferable to being in a room with an attacker and a gun that I'm unwilling or unable to use.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    There is a HUGE difference between having what is needed on hand to defend ones self and their loved ones from extreme violence by using extreme violence and having the will to do so.
    I think it would shock most people here if they ever realized just how many peoples inability to harm others would paralyze them with fear and render them helpless in the face of evil. The last several generations have been raised to shun violence and self defense as vile and totally unneeded and instead rely on law enforcement to protect them.

History has shown us that the meek and unwilling to fight are known by two names
    Slave and
    Slaughtered

Top Bottom