Not open for further replies.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Police officer shooting at deer almost hits sleeping man

"The officer fired two shots into the deer at which point the deer stood up to get away," Cooper said. "The officer fired a third shot that put the deer down, but the deer was still moving."

Cooper says it looks like the third bullet went *through the deer and into the resident's home…then he says the last shot, hit an antler and likely ricocheted, hitting a car in the same driveway.

My goodness... these are bullets flying around a residential neighborhood. Seems as if the police would have a better policy when it comes to these situations.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If it was Georgia I'd have expected a ricochet to hit the guys mother in-law.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And what tone and intent do you notice in general? I enjoy posting items that I think will bring entertainment or enlightenment to the INGO community but if you think I am giving offense by doing so I'll certainly back off considerably.

Come on brother. No knock directly on you but I see a theme. Especially when it involves LEO's. You can not argue this and yes it does bring discussion. No argument there. But a few have been very angled towards looking poorly on LEO's in general.
    Not saying this does not need discussed at times as it does. It is just a general tone to your posts in this regard.

If I am becoming to much of a Nanny then I will look at what I am doing. Sit in this chair during these insane times and do what needs done to keep the forum on track and growing then yeah, sometimes I might be a bit pushy. It goes with the chair.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Come on brother. No knock directly on you but I see a theme. Especially when it involves LEO's. You can not argue this and yes it does bring discussion. No argument there. But a few have been very angled towards looking poorly on LEO's in general.
    Not saying this does not need discussed at times as it does. It is just a general tone to your posts in this regard.

If I am becoming to much of a Nanny then I will look at what I am doing. Sit in this chair during these insane times and do what needs done to keep the forum on track and growing then yeah, sometimes I might be a bit pushy. It goes with the chair.

I have three older brothers that are retired Illinois police officers after serving in multiple departments proudly and honorably. I have a number of younger, extended family members now serving.

My only criteria for posting a story that involves a police officer, or a police situation, is 1) is this a story that the members will read and 2) is there possible discussion about the story. That is it. indeed, that is it for any story I post, regardless of the story line.

Actually, if you were to follow up on those types of stories that I posted you'll see that I rarely comment past the OP, except to update when more information comes in from another source. There's a specific reason for that. I don't want to be part of the story. I would much rather have people discussing the story in the OP than discussing what I think about it. Because what I think about it is fairly unimportant when everything is considered.

I don't want to be put into a position of being overly critical of what the police do or don't. That is exactly why I told Frank it wasn't my business to determine how best to put down an animal. It's not. Yes, I did use the "supposed" word in referring to the "professionalism" of the police, but you have to be honest and accept that this was a pretty poor way to show how professional they are supposed to be.

Also, the same as it tends to be really bad guys who generate the type of court cases that expand the freedom for us all, it tends to be the really bad cops who generate the type of stories that get them in the news for discussion. Trust me, if there was a story about four cops who started a gofundme account and raised a million dollars to give poor kids Christmas presents I would have the story up on INGO within moments after reading it.

Remember the story I posted a few weeks back about the retired Marine who caught the infant thrown from a 3rd story burning building. Do you think I would have posted the same story if it was a retired police officer who did the same deed? Of course I would. Because I considered it read-worthy.

Are you being overly-sensitive? Only you can answer that. Are other people on INGO overly sensitive about any criticism of police and are quick to take offense? Perhaps.

Am I being overly-sensitive? No. I consider what Frank said little different than a false accusation of racism that is used against conservatives to shut them down from speaking. He gets away with it because he is Frank and has been here a while. So be it. I can handle Frank on my own. But to have him backed up from a moderator who has the power and ability to shut me down completely by banning me just makes it worse. It puts me in the position of almost unable to defend myself against the false accusation without fear of being just that... banned. That's not the way to breed a confidence and enjoyment in INGO with new people.

That's my piece.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The officer was apparently not a hunter. Maybe they need to put up a few deer targets at the range.

That said, he apologized to the homeowner and said the city would cover damages...but the homeowner lawyers up and is looking for a payday.

Lot's of wrong to go around in that story. If the deer were eating his azaleas he'd call 911 so the police would come and shoot it. If some gang banger had pumped a few rounds through his wall he'd be looking for the police to catch them and city to fix it for him.

Today's democRat strongholds are dealing LEOs a no win situation every day.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have three older brothers that are retired Illinois police officers after serving in multiple departments proudly and honorably. I have a number of younger, extended family members now serving.

My only criteria for posting a story that involves a police officer, or a police situation, is 1) is this a story that the members will read and 2) is there possible discussion about the story. That is it. indeed, that is it for any story I post, regardless of the story line.

Actually, if you were to follow up on those types of stories that I posted you'll see that I rarely comment past the OP, except to update when more information comes in from another source. There's a specific reason for that. I don't want to be part of the story. I would much rather have people discussing the story in the OP than discussing what I think about it. Because what I think about it is fairly unimportant when everything is considered.

I don't want to be put into a position of being overly critical of what the police do or don't. That is exactly why I told Frank it wasn't my business to determine how best to put down an animal. It's not. Yes, I did use the "supposed" word in referring to the "professionalism" of the police, but you have to be honest and accept that this was a pretty poor way to show how professional they are supposed to be.

Also, the same as it tends to be really bad guys who generate the type of court cases that expand the freedom for us all, it tends to be the really bad cops who generate the type of stories that get them in the news for discussion. Trust me, if there was a story about four cops who started a gofundme account and raised a million dollars to give poor kids Christmas presents I would have the story up on INGO within moments after reading it.

Remember the story I posted a few weeks back about the retired Marine who caught the infant thrown from a 3rd story burning building. Do you think I would have posted the same story if it was a retired police officer who did the same deed? Of course I would. Because I considered it read-worthy.

Are you being overly-sensitive? Only you can answer that. Are other people on INGO overly sensitive about any criticism of police and are quick to take offense? Perhaps.

Am I being overly-sensitive? No. I consider what Frank said little different than a false accusation of racism that is used against conservatives to shut them down from speaking. He gets away with it because he is Frank and has been here a while. So be it. I can handle Frank on my own. But to have him backed up from a moderator who has the power and ability to shut me down completely by banning me just makes it worse. It puts me in the position of almost unable to defend myself against the false accusation without fear of being just that... banned. That's not the way to breed a confidence and enjoyment in INGO with new people.

That's my piece.

Funny how you can't respond directly to me, and only refer to what I posted when a mod agrees with me. That is his choice, not any special priviledge I get by beinga long-time member. And you have not posted one single positive story about a law enforcement officer since you've been a member, so don't try to say you would.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You may not have special privileges, but you are special.

DON'T TASE ME BRO!!!

BTW, this isn't the first case similar to this. Years ago, I posted a story where a police officer put something like 15 rounds into a deer's stomach trying to put it down. The fact is, not every police officer is a hunter or skilled with a gun, but neither are a lot of gun owners in general. People screw up, nobody was hurt, "victims" are going to get a payday, and life will go on.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You may not have special privileges, but you are special.

DON'T TASE ME BRO!!!

BTW, this isn't the first case similar to this. Years ago, I posted a story where a police officer put something like 15 rounds into a deer's stomach trying to put it down. The fact is, not every police officer is a hunter or skilled with a gun, but neither are a lot of gun owners in general. People screw up, nobody was hurt, "victims" are going to get a payday, and life will go on.

Yep, I am special. You should see my newest hockey helmet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom