• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    A buddy of mine works nights at our local Wal-Mart here in Washington. He just told me that two $1,000 Henry "Stand for the Flag" edition rifles in .22lr were suddenly discounted to $279. They sold very quickly. I don't understand how Wal-Mart could do that knowing they would lose money.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A buddy of mine works nights at our local Wal-Mart here in Washington. He just told me that two $1,000 Henry "Stand for the Flag" edition rifles in .22lr were suddenly discounted to $279. They sold very quickly. I don't understand how Wal-Mart could do that knowing they would lose money.

Sometimes its cheaper to dump something below cost than to continue to bother with them. I mean, in general, who here hasnt said "screw it, its not worth my time and hassle to put it up on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. I'm just throwing it away."

No more time keeping them safe, handling them, and possibly preventing a display case from being torn down and repurposed for something that would turn quickly making actual money.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Sometimes its cheaper to dump something below cost than to continue to bother with them. I mean, in general, who here hasnt said "screw it, its not worth my time and hassle to put it up on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. I'm just throwing it away."

No more time keeping them safe, handling them, and possibly preventing a display case from being torn down and repurposed for something that would turn quickly making actual money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ To a multi billion dollar company like Wally World the loss on these two rifles is "chump change". Their CEO spends that much on lunch.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Wish that was here.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ To a multi billion dollar company like Wally World the loss on these two rifles is "chump change". Their CEO spends that much on lunch.

It's even simpler than that.

The loss can be written off thus lowering their tax burden. It's all part of the complex scheme of why corporations and larger businesses pay very little in taxes compared to their gross. If a business has a tax rate of 25-30% on profits, the simple solution is to not have profits. There's a complex equation where you hold on to inventory too long and you have to pay inventory taxes, or you sell it at a "loss" thus reducing inventory tax burdens while at the same time generating a "loss" that eats into "profit." Meanwhile, you dump "profit" into dividends for shareholders or stock buyback, or a whole host of other methods. This is how a corporation with 524 billion in gross revenue and 129 billion in gross profits in 2019 pays 3.2 billion in tax.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I think we're overlooking a possibility. Walmart may be avoiding embarrassment and criticism for having something in the store marked "Stand for the Flag".

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Are we talking Washington Indiana?
    My son just moved there last week and we visited him and the area on Friday.
    He moved from here in Fishers to Washington, from the Burb to the Boonies, Fishers Wal Mart doesn’t sell long guns, I will have to visit the one there.
    I gave him a Marlin Mdl 60, and a Mossburg 500, for his new place. I am sure they may stock 12.ga and .22lr in town. Is there an LGS out there close?
    I had my new to me Glock-19 and my wife’s new to her Glock-43, with us that day and before we left we test fired them in his back yard.
    I won’t forget to bring more ammo next time I visit and a fishing pole for his pond.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Don't rule out the possibility that:

1) It was a straight-up employee mistake, or

2) We just found out that Henry rifles have a really, really big mark-up.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Are we talking Washington Indiana?
    My son just moved there last week and we visited him and the area on Friday.
    He moved from here in Fishers to Washington, from the Burb to the Boonies, Fishers Wal Mart doesnÂ’t sell long guns, I will have to visit the one there.
    I gave him a Marlin Mdl 60, and a Mossburg 500, for his new place. I am sure they may stock 12.ga and .22lr in town. Is there an LGS out there close?
    I had my new to me Glock-19 and my wifeÂ’s new to her Glock-43, with us that day and before we left we test fired them in his back yard.
    I wonÂ’t forget to bring more ammo next time I visit and a fishing pole for his pond.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

View attachment 89446

It sold for what its really worth, A Zamak 5 metal receiver, receiver cover and barrel band. Along with some really cheesy flags and buttstock art.
    All for the MSRP of 1,259.00
    I would buy 2 all steel Browning BL22 Grade 1's for 550 each and they will be around for the great grand kids to give to their children.

I would still bet Walmart either broke even or made money on them. On most items in retail, if it doesn't sell in a set period of time it either goes back to the vendor or the vendor accepts the discounted price when its sold.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I think we're overlooking a possibility. Walmart may be avoiding embarrassment and criticism for having something in the store marked "Stand for the Flag".
    This^^ wish they’d decide they need to offload their big boys for the same discount lol

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    View attachment 89446

It sold for what its really worth, A Zamak 5 metal receiver, receiver cover and barrel band. Along with some really cheesy flags and buttstock art.
    All for the MSRP of 1,259.00
    I would buy 2 all steel Browning BL22 Grade 1's for 550 each and they will be around for the great grand kids to give to their children.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:yesway:

Top Bottom