• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragBag31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2019
    Carmel
    Interested in getting more involved in long range precision shooting and purchasing my first sub MOA long range rifle.

I have a strong understanding of MOA basics and hoping to get comfortable passed 200 yards.

I‘m at a crossroads if I should go the “budget route” and upgrade as my skills progress or purchase a rifle with “more advanced” features for me to “grow into”.

I’ve been looking at the Tikka T3, Savage Axis II, Weatherby Vanguard and Remington 700 in 6.5CM.

Any suggestions or Advice? Thank you in Advance.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Modern rifles and match ammunition are much more accurate than rifles of even 10-15 years ago.

My recommendation having started with a 25 year old Savage 110* and gone through full-blown custom rifles is to avoid 'cheap' like the plague and look for maximum value.

Bergara HMR and the Tikka T3x Varmint or CTR would be the best options for future resale while giving you the best feature set at their price point ($800-1000).

For a little bit less, the Ruger American Hunter 6.5 would be where I would look.

A 700 5R Gen II or a 700 Magpul (in that order) would also be decent, but I'd probably consider a factory Remington last.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've shot the bergara and was impressed, The ruger presicions have been performing very well at the line, I'm a Remington guy, Nice thing about Remington is get one shoot it out and screw on a barrel and keep going, The Latest Remingtons I've dealt with I've had to change the way I reload for them. I always was old school and would seat the bullet out and then come back 10-20 thou well I don't know what they are doing different, the last 2 remingtons I bought wanted the bullets seated right at Saami, I am not a gunsmith and I'm getting older every day so remember Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and a lot of them stink,

Get Good Glass for it, don't look at advertisements look at what has been around for a long time and still holding it's zero year after year,

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Bergara HMR has my vote as well and it is really good value for the money, their chassis system inside the stock is a pretty neat idea.
    I have on in 308 and it is .6 to .7 MOA with decent factory ammo prone with no rear support. Went out to a 1000 with it and was pretty darn happy. I would imagine 6.5 would be even better caliber for it.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I will recommend what I own and shoot.
    Tikka T3. Absolutely lived up to all the OOTB accuracy claims. So impressed were my two friends (father and son) with the rifles accuracy (in 300wsm) they promptly went out and each bought one in 300 wm.

I have included a picture of three groups I shot in secession on the same range trip. Not my best ever groups and not my worst just what I know my Tikka can do with good hand loads. I use this picture most often because the ones that are better and actually MUCH better I feel are exceptional groups and aren't what would be close to the norm as these three groups are.

My one and ONLY complaint about Tikka T3 series of rifles that have gone up significantly in price and although still worth every penny IMHO, they are no longer the absolute best bargan for the buck out there. I paid with S&H and FFL under $650 for my SST/SYN RMEF model in 300wsm. the prices have since gone up over $100.

Still would be my first rifle of choice if looking for a superbly accurate very light weight affordable rifle.

Attachments

• 20170608_130031.jpg
      20170608_130031.jpg
      384.6 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Tikka T3 in your choice of model and chambering is obviously my first choice. I've seen a lot about Bergaras and they seem to very well regarded. Rather than looking at the Weatherby, take a look at Howa. They make the Vanguards and IIRC are quite a bit less $ for basically the exact same rifle.

qwickwire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Indianapolis
    From the four rifles you suggested, I highly recommend the Tikka. I don't think you should go the budget route, as you will quickly outgrow it.

You should also consider the following: Ruger Precision, Sako S20 (will be released shortly, fingers crossed), and the Sako TRG. I am also a big fan of three lugged bolts.

portercounty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Porter County
    Well, this thread just did it for me. I'm buying a new rifle this week, and I think I'm going to go with the Remington 700 in 6.5CM. Thank you all for inadvertent arm-twisting! :)

Top Bottom