Favorite location for safe FTF transfer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    What are people’s thoughts on best locations to complete a FTF transfer safely? Gun show? Walmart parking lot? Next to the local precinct? My previous acquisitions have come through inheritance or directly from an FFL, so would like to learn.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I meet where I work, Auto Zone, & Burger King. At least that seems to be where most transactions take place. Oh yeah, cabelas or bass pro as well.

portercounty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Porter County
    I'll generally meet wherever the other person wants, but I never go alone. I always bring 2nd person who stays in the car while I conduct the transaction. I don't want that person to get out and make whoever I'm dealing with uncomfortable, but I also want that person to realize there is someone else there so pulling something offscript just got twice as difficult.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Carmel police department has a couple of parking spaces that are camera monitored and labeled for transactions like this. I bet other police departments have marked areas that are monitored.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I worry about this very little when trading with INGOers.

Any seasoned INGO trader with a good itrader rating and post history will lead you in the right direction.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Same, Any public place is fine with me. I don't abandon my spidey-sense or situational awareness, but generally my concern is low.

I worry about this very little when trading with INGOers.

Any seasoned INGO trader with a good itrader rating and post history will lead you in the right direction.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Same, Any public place is fine with me. I don't abandon my spidey-sense or situational awareness, but generally my concern is low.

Very good point.

I've gotten txt's when driving to a meet, "I'm here, the (fill in blank) lot accross the street looks better for us."

I have done the same, "This lot's busy, parking is limited. Let's do the truck lot at the MCDonald's across the street."

On a related side note, communication is important to a happy trade.

After the deal is agreed to via PM, one party or the other needs to send their number and request a txt confirmation. Typically the txt confirmation is replied to with the vehicle description to be looking for at the meet.

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    My 2 cents:
    1) Deal only with folks you know or someone who has a good rating on INGO.
    2) Gun store parking lot should be OK, but it might be bad form to buy/sell on a gun dealer's property.
    3) My bigger concern is folks in the parking lot who aren't involved in the transaction - bad actor sees an opportunity, or bystander sees a gun, panics, and makes a MWAG call.
    And SA as always.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have always gone inside of a restaurant, like McDonald's or whatever and sit and talk to them and get a feel of who they are, then make the transaction outside, close to the building where the cameras are. I have always felt safe and comfortable or I don't make the transaction.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Bob Evans or any other local diner with pickups/construction vehicles. You know, the place where you'd eat breakfast if you weren't buying/selling a gun.

Few there will question what you're doing. If they do, you might get a better offer!
    If you don't like places like that, then perhaps you're not the buyer/seller we're looking for.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    On a related side note, communication is important to a happy trade.

After the deal is agreed to via PM, one party or the other needs to send their number and request a txt confirmation. Typically the txt confirmation is replied to with the vehicle description to be looking for at the meet.

Agreed 100%. Always a description of vehicle when setting up the meeting location, etc as well as a I'm here a bit early, etc text on arrival. Only really deal with INGO folks and all transactions have been generally good to date.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I usually meet folks at the Home Depot and it works fine. This may seem counter-intuitive or odd, but gun people are usually my kind of people. The last two people I sold stuff to this past weekend ended up sticking around for a half hour discussion. One fella showed me some of his guns that he had in the trunk as we discussed current events. They're usually the types of folks we banter with on here, you know quirky nice people. I had one guy who wanted to meet at the police station, but I didn't mind. I may be more relaxed as I buy or sell FTF more than some, but under whatever federal limits are in place that would qualify me as anything but a regular Joe.

I don't usually fret this kind of thing.

Dulla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    NWI
    I've met people at their homes quite a few times to buy and sell. Never invited anyone to my house for a transaction.

But I was living in Chicago at the time and standing in a parking lot examining guns seemed like a good way to get arrested.

I did put my Google Fu skills to use before every meetup though and made sure the name on their FOID matched their address and that the picture matched their online profiles if they had any.

Top Bottom