• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    My son is station in Alaska and is wanting me to ship his shotgun to him for duck season. What is the best way for me to do this? Thanks in advance more of a reader on this site but anytime i have a question you guys are more then helpful.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. You call son and have him ID his favorite FFL.

2. You call AK gun store and give them heads up that shotgun coming.

3. You wrapped up shotgun in bubble wrap and foam peanuts and slap label with AK gun sotre on it. WRITE YOUR SON'S NAME AND TELEPHONE NUMBER IN LARGE SHARPIE IN SEVERAL PLACES ON THE BOX.

4. Pay for shipping, you then e-mail AK FFL that shotgun is coming with tracking number.

5. You wait. Wait some more. Dude, it's Alaska, just keep waiting.

6. Shotgun arrives, gun shop (hopefully) calls your son.

7. Son trundles into gun store in AK and fills out 4473. Maybe he pays vig on the deal, maybe what $50 for AK?

8. Son goes duck hunting.

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    You can ship it to your self at his address.
    Done it many times.
    But I was going to arrive at that residents to hunt.
    After the hunt i shipped it back to my address.
    Less baggage and worry at the air port.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can ship it to your self at his address.
    Done it many times.
    But, I was going to arrive at that [residence] to hunt.
    After the hunt i shipped it back to my address.
    Less baggage and worry at the air port.

There's the big qualifier. You were shipping it to you. That's not what's happening in the situation described here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There's the big qualifier. You were shipping it to you. That's not what's happening in the situation described here.

Someone less honest might plan on hunting with his son and ship himself a shotgun to use when he gets there. But alas sometimes plans change at the last minute to cancel one's travel plans.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    With the Marine Corps if living in base housing firearms can be kept at home with them, If living in bachelor housing (Barracks) it will be stored in the base armory. And can be checked out when needed.

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    1. You call son and have him ID his favorite FFL.

2. You call AK gun store and give them heads up that shotgun coming.

3. You wrapped up shotgun in bubble wrap and foam peanuts and slap label with AK gun sotre on it. WRITE YOUR SON'S NAME AND TELEPHONE NUMBER IN LARGE SHARPIE IN SEVERAL PLACES ON THE BOX.

4. Pay for shipping, you then e-mail AK FFL that shotgun is coming with tracking number.

5. You wait. Wait some more. Dude, it's Alaska, just keep waiting.

6. Shotgun arrives, gun shop (hopefully) calls your son.

7. Son trundles into gun store in AK and fills out 4473. Maybe he pays vig on the deal, maybe what $50 for AK?

8. Son goes duck hunting.

Only missed one thing, sender must include a copy of DL or email it to FFL or son cannot pick up shotgun.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you son has an address in Alaska he ships it to himself via USPS. Have done it several times when hunting and fishing in Alaska. The guide would give me his address to ship to. I would ship to myself at that address, No FFL needed, but you need to to take the stock off and if you can break it down shorter do so. Insure it for full value and put a tracking number on package and signature required. Will have to go to PO to pick up unless some one at home signs for it. Make sure it is padded good. Packages will be dumped on it, it will be dropped etc. Stocks get broken when left on the gun. Post Office has rules for shipping long-guns ask them to look the regs up as most don't know the rules. If shipping on base there are also rules to follow. It can be a PIA if going on base.
    ​P.O. is better to ship with than Fed Ex or UPS for this.

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    With the Marine Corps if living in base housing firearms can be kept at home with them, If living in bachelor housing (Barracks) it will be stored in the base armory. And can be checked out when needed.
    you are correct. He does live in the barracks and has guns stored in the armory.

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Kirk Freeman Thanks for bringing this up. With no military back ground i wouldnt have thought of this if we hadnt already crossed that bridge. i appreciate the thought. He has long guns in the armory he bought after arriving in Alaska.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If you son has an address in Alaska he ships it to himself via USPS. Have done it several times when hunting and fishing in Alaska. The guide would give me his address to ship to. I would ship to myself at that address, No FFL needed, but you need to to take the stock off and if you can break it down shorter do so. Insure it for full value and put a tracking number on package and signature required. Will have to go to PO to pick up unless some one at home signs for it. Make sure it is padded good. Packages will be dumped on it, it will be dropped etc. Stocks get broken when left on the gun. Post Office has rules for shipping long-guns ask them to look the regs up as most don't know the rules. If shipping on base there are also rules to follow. It can be a PIA if going on base.
    ​P.O. is better to ship with than Fed Ex or UPS for this.

Its really not that difficult, with two sons, one east and the other west we ship rifles a few times a year....
    The big help is getting to know one of the pogs in the armory... And yes the USPS is the way to ship to a service member. USPS have access to the entire base unlike UPS and Fed Ex.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    When I worked in the armory many moons ago, we had plenty of different branchs have personally owned weapons in there. They get locked up nice and tight. Let your son know that he is the one responsible for maintenance on it i.e. rust or mold. Don't store when wet in a hard case or weapon sheath.

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    I would like to thank all who help by providing information. I just wanted to give a quick update. Son received shotgun fine and is having a fine duck season. Yesterday he shot his first banded mallard. He is making the most of being station in alaska after getting home from his deployment. Once again I don't provide much to the site but everyone is there with tons of knowledge when I ask. Thanks again.

alanbarx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Madison
    My son is station in Alaska and is wanting me to ship his shotgun to him for duck season. What is the best way for me to do this? Thanks in advance more of a reader on this site but anytime i have a question you guys are more then helpful.
    The only way I see is FFL to FFL.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Fly up there, take gun with you, give to son, son registers it on base/post, you fly home.....might be just as cost effective....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would like to thank all who help by providing information. I just wanted to give a quick update. Son received shotgun fine and is having a fine duck season. Yesterday he shot his first banded mallard. He is making the most of being station in alaska after getting home from his deployment. Once again I don't provide much to the site but everyone is there with tons of knowledge when I ask. Thanks again.

Glad it worked out for you. :yesway:

Top Bottom