• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I just started looking for 22lr, I knew it was tight, but what is the average price for 50 rounds and how hard is it to find really ? I have looked around a little bit and really only see 50 rounds of anything going for 10 dollars a box, is that about right ? Is there a good supply at gun shows or are prices pretty high at gun shows ? Or is ammo not there at all ? Has anybody seen a brick of plain white box 22lr ammo , it is made by winchester.I have never seen a plain white box of 500 rounds with OLIN winchester on side of it and that was all. I have been to a lot of gun shows.A very PLAIN WHITE BOX,I am really wondering who buys like this ?

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    where are you located? I have a decent stock pile and have no problem giving you a bulk pack at normal cost

I just started looking for 22lr, I knew it was tight, but what is the average price for 50 rounds and how hard is it to find really ? I have looked around a little bit and really only see 50 rounds of anything going for 10 dollars a box, is that about right ? Is there a good supply at gun shows or are prices pretty high at gun shows ? Or is ammo not there at all ? Has anybody seen a brick of plain white box 22lr ammo , it is made by winchester.I have never seen a plain white box of 500 rounds with OLIN winchester on side of it and that was all. I have been to a lot of gun shows.A very PLAIN WHITE BOX,I am really wondering who buys like this ?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

The plain white box Olin Winchester stuff sounds like milsurp ammo from the CMP or elsewhere. .

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    $10 for 50 rounds is about double what I usually pay.
    But after checking my usual online haunts that seems about the going rate. It's been a long time since I've actually had to purchase 22lr from anywhere, so I haven't checked any of my LGS prices.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Prices at gun shows has been $45/500 (Federal), $10/100 (Winchester), and $5/50 (RWS subsonic, Aguila Super Extra, etc.) for decent-to-good quality 22LR. The cheapest of the cheap is long gone - not that you really want that stuff anyway. There has been some of the more expensive/exotic loadings in the $5 to $10 per 50 range, which is pretty much the same price that it was before the current shortage.

The Olin white box 22 you mention, if it is what I am thinking of, was standard velocity 22LR allegedly sold through the CMP at some point. The boxes may not be fancy, but the ammo is OK. I bought a brick or two at the beginning of the Sandy Hook shortage and shot some of it. The stuff I had was probably from the 1980s and had some tarnish spots on it where it touched the inside of the cardboard boxes - it shot fine, the tarnished spots didn't make a bit of difference. In my experience it was better than the cheapest of the cheap that you would get in bulk from the various big corporate store chains, so I was reasonably happy with my purchase.

Overall ammo supply at the gunshows has been pretty good, but prices on the popular items (pretty much any handgun caliber and some rifle calibers) are up. Prices are running about the same as in the online auctions or at the local gunshops (if they even have any stock at all), but the nice thing is that you can get your hands on it immediately without the hassle of shipping, waiting, quantity limits, etc. Prices on the less common stuff are pretty much unchanged, at least for now, until the vendors have to reorder from the distributors at the new higher prices. In comparison, SGAmmo has raised prices on pretty much everything that they have left in stock - popular or not.

Edited to add: And just as an example, I scored a partial box of .41 AE and a partial box of .32 Long Colt at the South Bend gunshow for the same price I would have expected to pay before the current shortage. Both of the calibers have long been discontinued, so I'm happy to find even partial boxes if the per round price is right.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Anyone use the stuff made by Geco in this link?

Decent stuff, about a notch higher on the quality scale than CCI SV and Aguila. If I wouldn't have bought a couple cases of Standard+ earlier this week I'd be tempted.

SK Magazine at Target Sports, 10 cents per round before shipping, taxes, etc.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/sk-magazine-22-long-rifle-ammo-40-grain-lrn-420121-p-109260.aspx

Worst foreign made ammo I've shot. Terrible accuracy and feed issues in both rifles I've shot in, got 1 more I want to try it in. Some folks like it, but I'll take Aguila and CCI over it.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Worst foreign made ammo I've shot. Terrible accuracy and feed issues in both rifles I've shot in, got 1 more I want to try it in. Some folks like it, but I'll take Aguila and CCI over it.
    What SK are you talking about? And what were you shooting it in? Their Rifle Match and Pistol Match offerings are boringly accurate in my guns with their Magazine (bulk Standard Plus) pretty decent as well. It's actually some of the most consistent and accurate ammo I've found.:dunno:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Ugh, this sucks, almost as bad as the multi-year drought we suffered through post-Sandy Hook. I learned my lesson from that one, I'm sitting on a small stockpile that should see me through for a few years.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What SK are you talking about? And what were you shooting it in? Their Rifle Match and Pistol Match offerings are boringly accurate in my guns with their Magazine (bulk Standard Plus) pretty decent as well. It's actually some of the most consistent and accurate ammo I've found.:dunno:

The joy of rimfires. What can be junk in one, can be gold in another.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have 22 ammo that I bought in the 70's and it goes bang every time. My 75 year old bolt action 22 shoots EVERYTHING...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    SK Magazine at Target Sports, 10 cents per round before shipping, taxes, etc.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/sk-magazine-22-long-rifle-ammo-40-grain-lrn-420121-p-109260.aspx

I highlighted it. Shot it in a Tikka T1x, a Ruger American, and a little bit ago a 10/22. Accuracy was not good in any, and had feeding issues in the Tikka and 10/22. I agree with you on the rest of the SK line, Standard+ is probably my favorite from a cost/performance standpoint, but the Magazine, nah.

Top Bottom