• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Just wondering what you've seen lately, because I've been doing private sales or internet purchases for the last few years. I'm not intentionally doing that, it's just how it's worked out.

Are your local shops stocked, and what are prices like?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Welcome back to the planet!

Been empty since early May.
    Prices are higher-ish, but there's no inventory.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    What cave have you been living in lol.

A lot of what I've seen left is stuff like over-unders, lever actions, big bore revolvers. Stuff you generally wouldn't see suggested for self defense.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    TC's
    Stevens
    uncommon calibers
    high dollar collectables

That's all that's left on the shelves.

Sure, people have firearms & ammo they're selling / trading.
    But you won't find much of either on a retailer's shelves.

If they tell you they can order it, don't expect delivery by Christmas.

I expect to see a drop in sales/checks if not from July, then August surely.
    There's plenty of demand just no supply.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    TC's
    Stevens
    uncommon calibers
    high dollar collectables

That's all that's left on the shelves.

Sure, people have firearms & ammo they're selling / trading.
    But you won't find much of either on a retailer's shelves.

If they tell you they can order it, don't expect delivery by Christmas.

I expect to see a drop in sales/checks if not from July, then August surely.
    There's plenty of demand just no supply.

I don't see a drop till Nov, and depending who wins it could be 4yrs till things settle down.

mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    Do you think the gun inventory is continually selling out as it is stocked? Or are manufacturers/distributors being limited in what they can deliver? I would imagine Glock, Sig, S&W, Ruger etc would want to continue manufacturing at least as fast as pre-covid, although gun makers in blue states may be subject to shutdowns. Everyone has known this is a presidential election year, with expected huge demand, so they should have been ready to make a bunch. Hate to lose this opportunity to increase gun ownership with all the chaos in 2020.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Do you think the gun inventory is continually selling out as it is stocked? Or are manufacturers/distributors being limited in what they can deliver? I would imagine Glock, Sig, S&W, Ruger etc would want to continue manufacturing at least as fast as pre-covid, although gun makers in blue states may be subject to shutdowns. Everyone has known this is a presidential election year, with expected huge demand, so they should have been ready to make a bunch. Hate to lose this opportunity to increase gun ownership with all the chaos in 2020.

Demand has far out paced manufacturing capacity for both firearms and ammo in this Country. It is expensive and time consuming to increase capacity for what could be a short term, ( a few months to a year or 2) increase in demand so most manufactures are running their factory at full capacity but not adding to that capacity. It would take too long for them to recoup their investments, if ever, when demand drops back down.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Local Cabela's has quite a few guns including shotguns, rifles, AR's and quite a few HG's both semi-autos and wheel guns. But had a mere fraction of their usual number used HG's on display. I didn't take time to inventory the exact types of firearms there but most AR's looked to be higher end closer to $1500 or more $$$ then $1000. Since the panic set in haven't seen a decent priced AR at Cabela's and not a single HG caliber carbine. I didn't spend time inventorying what exact HG's were there as I buy most my HG's online or from a smaller LGS near me, as even now I can find good deals on the popular Sig P320 line of HG's, my favorite HG's.

But one gun in short supply both on line and OTC near me is Glocks. About a month ago it occurred to me as I have a very large number of OEM and Promag Glock 17 round mags for my 9mm carbines, I felt it only logical and even prudent to buy a Glock 17. How ever I have found none in stock on line at an acceptable price and at Gunbroker they are to expensive and most are outrageously over priced for both new and even used Glocks including LEO trade ins. I did come across several Glocks recently at a great little LGC but After finding 9mm and 224 bullets (only reloading component I do not have a unlimited supply of) at a very good price on line I bought a huge amount so my gun budget didn't allow for a want based new HG purchase and in all honesty I have enough 9mm's HG's I simply can not justify another purchase that would put me over budget.

In my experience which I imagine mirrors most others, right now near me 9mm ammo are harder to come buy than HG's and although bullets are still readily available OTC only one store I know of has powder and primers available OTC and not the best varity as I can not get IMR 3031, or IMR 4831 there my two most used rifle powders. I know of LGS that have 9mm but they have 1 or 2 box limits. Cabela's and BP by me save for one recent instance have been out of 99-100% of powders and primers save for 209's for months now. I'm told they put out limited amounts of powder regularly but it sells out same day almost always and I'm never lucky enough to be there on that particular day. Occasionally they will have a couple of bottles of less popular powders and always have 209 primers but it's purely hit or miss on LG/HG, LG/RF, LG/RFM, SM/RFM SM/HG and SM/HGM. I did get very lucky about 4-5 weeks ago to walk up as they were putting out several 1k CCI 450 SM/RFM primers suitable for reloading 223 for AR platforms (only primer I don't have in unlimited amounts) and bought 1/2 of what was out and could have bought all but didn't want to be hoggish and I have no intentions of reselling any of my primers except some I listed here that I bought based on what was an impending rifle purchase that didn't occur and ended up not needing them as I have all the LG/RFL primers I will ever need.

As fate would have it I sold all my 40 S&W HG's 5-6 years ago in favor of simplifying my HG needs to 9mm and now 40 S&W is available with reasonable frequency and often in unlimited amounts OTC near me. I've even considered and still are considering buying a P-320 in 40 S&W as I have all my 40 S&W dies and some bullets and a butt load of brass, that means buying a great many more bullets and sufficient mags which adds up to a significant purchase that considering my on hand quantity of 9mm ammo and 9mm reloading supplies is very difficult to financially justify, especially since I don't own any 40 S&W carbines.

Bottom line if you only own 9mm HG's and AR's and don't reload and failed to stock pile reloading components, and don't have 9mm or 223 ammo in sufficient amounts you are either going to pay grossly over inflated prices for it on line when you can find it for the ammo or be faced with prices 30% above the norm for very limited amounts OTC and primers and powder are still available on line but again prices are considerably more due to S&H and hazmat fees VS OTC which is essentially has very rare availability near me. If

Thank all mighty God I stock piled ammo and reloading components when I did.

Last edited:

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    I put this on another post. I went to Kempf's last week, and they had powder and primers in stock. Bought what I wanted and needed without having to back order.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Local Cabela's has quite a few guns including shotguns, rifles, AR's and quite a few HG's both semi-autos and wheel guns. But had a mere fraction of their usual number used HG's on display. I didn't take time to inventory the exact types of firearms there but most AR's looked to be higher end closer to $1500 or more $$$ then $1000. Since the panic set in haven't seen a decent priced AR at Cabela's and not a single HG caliber carbine. I didn't spend time inventorying what exact HG's were there as I buy most my HG's online or from a smaller LGS near me, as even now I can find good deals on the popular Sig P320 line of HG's, my favorite HG's.

But one gun in short supply both on line and OTC near me is Glocks. About a month ago it occurred to me as I have a very large number of OEM and Promag Glock 17 round mags for my 9mm carbines, I felt it only logical and even prudent to buy a Glock 17. How ever I have found none in stock on line at an acceptable price and at Gunbroker they are to expensive and most are outrageously over priced for both new and even used Glocks including LEO trade ins. I did come across several Glocks recently at a great little LGC but After finding 9mm and 224 bullets (only reloading component I do not have a unlimited supply of) at a very good price on line I bought a huge amount so my gun budget didn't allow for a want based new HG purchase and in all honesty I have enough 9mm's HG's I simply can not justify another purchase that would put me over budget.

In my experience which I imagine mirrors most others, right now near me 9mm ammo are harder to come buy than HG's and although bullets are still readily available OTC only one store I know of has powder and primers available OTC. I know of LGS that have 9mm but they have 1 or 2 box limits. Cabela's and BP by me save for one recent instance have been out of 99-100% of powders and primers save for 209's for months now. I'm told they put out powder regularly but it sells out same day almost always and I'm never lucky enough to be there on that particular day. Occasionally they will have a couple of bottles of less popular powders and always have 209 primers but it's purely hit or miss on LG/HG, LG/RF, LG/RFM, SM/RFM SM/HG and SM/HGM. I did get very lucky about 4-5 weeks ago to walk up as they were putting out several 1k CCI 450 SM/RFM primers suitable for reloading 223 for AR platforms (only primer I don't have in unlimited amounts) and bought 1/2 of what was out and could have bought all but didn't want to be hoggish and I have no intentions of reselling any of my primers except some I listed here that I bought based on what was an impending rifle purchase that didn't occur and ended up not needing them as I have all the LG/RFL primers I will ever need.

Bottom line if you don't reload and failed to stock pile reloading components, and don't have 9mm or 223 ammo in sufficient amounts you are either going to pay grossly over inflated prices for it on line for the ammo or be faced with prices 30% above the norm for very limited amounts OTC and primers and powder are still available on line but again prices are considerably more due to S&H and hazmat fees VS OTC which is essentially has very rare availability near me.

Thank all mighty God I stock piled ammo and reloading components when I did.

Took me a min to figure out what you meant but got it. I have a nice stock to last me awhile. I plan on going to the Valpo gun show to check reloading prices and see what I can buy if not at gouging levels. I just started to get into casting last year so focusing more on finding cheap lead, pewter, and moulds.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have noticed that most of the LGS display cases are getting empty. Display cases have less than 1/4 of what they had at the beginning of yr.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I put this on another post. I went to Kempf's last week, and they had powder and primers in stock. Bought what I wanted and needed without having to back order.
    Same here been buying mostly reloading supplies, but also guns and ammo from Kemph's for over 25 years. I have 8lb bottles of HP-38 and 8lb bottles of Unique I bought there and the price tags on the HP-38 was $109 and the unique was $98.
    They are more than double that cost now. I buy if at all possible all my primers powder and bullets from Kemph's. Love to patronize M&P LGS. Bought a ton of Lee reloading equipment there over the years as well as Lee classic turret press to compliment my H/LnL/AP press. Kemph's also has although small, an excellent selection of salmon fishing lures. Great little gem of a sporting goods store.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Took me a min to figure out what you meant but got it. I have a nice stock to last me awhile. I plan on going to the Valpo gun show to check reloading prices and see what I can buy if not at gouging levels. I just started to get into casting last year so focusing more on finding cheap lead, pewter, and moulds.

Best of luck to you on not getting price gouged. In my experience gun shows of recent years haven't been the sources of bargains they once were. But then again very few places are any more.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A popular gun shop near me had exactly 1 Glock in the case last week, a G33 357 Sig. They normally have a full stock of Glocks. They had very few M&Ps. Still had quite a few semiauto pistols available, though. Walther, Canik, Springfield XD and FN. Fiocchi 9mm ammo available at $20/box of 50. At least 2 Ruger PC carbines in stock. I only saw a couple ARs, not sure what brands.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Heck its cheaper to shoot 20ga now than 9mm. 2 20ga shells to 1 9mm lol.
    Be that as it may but I don't own any 20 gauge firearms and not much one can shoot besides clay birds with 20ga. Shotguns aren't as much fun or as versatile to shoot at a day at the range with your kids as a HG or carbine. Same goes for 22lr and 223 firearms.

But agreed popular caliber ammo prices are once again ridiculously OP'd and again essentially unavailable.
    As I have been saying to myself 9 days of 10 for 20+ years now THANK GOD I reload and have been reloading for 30+ years. The ONLY factory ammo I buy that I do not reload is WW Long Beard XR specialty turkey loads and my two PD/HG rounds of choice FED/HST and Speer Lawman GD. All other HG and rifle I exclusively reload. When 9mm and 223 became afordable again I went to 50/50 reloading and buying as I was working 70hrs a week and found time for reloading 9mm/223 lacking in availability and my boys wanting to shoot 2 or more times a month. About 8-9 months ago came across a great on line deal on 50 round boxes of FED/HST and even better deal on Speer GD and bought what I felt at that time was a financially irresponsible amount of both. Now I wish I had bought 3x as much. As a matter of fact I'm sure I'm in the majority of shooters who wishes when 9mm was $160/1000 and 223 was $280/1000 we would have bought bunches more but didn't.

I have way more than enough reloading components that I really need not buy any rifle or HG ammo again, but a wise self made multi-millionaire once famously said "People will pay for convince" and paying $2 more per box of 50 9mm and $1.50 more per 20/223 OTC VS reloading so I could go shooting with my sons that same day or in the next 24hrs VS not if I had to reload was for the last 3 years was entirely acceptable for me. At least I managed to save 90%+ of all my brass.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom