• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    I used to go to still board shooting matches with my grandpa years ago. I'd really like to get back into it but I have no idea how to find schedules for them. I remember going to Schnellville, Birdseye, and Celstine.

Anyone have any good ones in the southern indiana area?

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Friendship, Indiana at the NMLRA range used to have a couple during the year and that's about 1 hour & 40 minutes drive from Borden. You might check out their website or contact them. They had different contests both traditional shotgun turkey board shoots and muzzleloader shotgun turkey board shoots. Not sure if they are still going on or not. Right now all there events have been cancelled due to COVID. Here's their website: https://nmlra.membershipsoftware.org/

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It looks like the Dubois Community Club shooting matches have been canceled for August.

Celestine Community Club shooting match schedule but the start has been postponed until October.

Just Google "shooting matches" in Dubois County for others. By the way, if it has been a long time since you've been to a shooting match don't be surprised that the guns and gear are hardly recognizable any more. What used to be fairly laid back, friendly competition with mostly stock guns has been altered by an arms race of highly specialized, extremely long barreled, smithed guns with scopes and other doodads.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It looks like the Dubois Community Club shooting matches have been canceled for August.

Celestine Community Club shooting match schedule but the start has been postponed until October.

Just Google "shooting matches" in Dubois County for others. By the way, if it has been a long time since you've been to a shooting match don't be surprised that the guns and gear are hardly recognizable any more. What used to be fairly laid back, friendly competition with mostly stock guns has been altered by an arms race of highly specialized, extremely long barreled, smithed guns with scopes and other doodads.

They have doodads now?? What about thingamabobs?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm a Director at the St. Anthony conservation club which is sort of tied together with Birdseye and Schnellville conservation clubs. When I find out their schedules I will post them here. We only do a spring shoot at our club, the fall one just wasn't worth having anymore. Celestine has cancelled all their shoots in August and September due to the Rona.

Edit:
    As of now Scnellville Conservation club is having a shoot on Oct. 4th and one on Dec. 6th

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Some FB friends in MI always post pics of these, not sure what it's all about? It looks like basically shooting shotguns at patterning type targets?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Some FB friends in MI always post pics of these, not sure what it's all about? It looks like basically shooting shotguns at patterning type targets?

You basically buy a board and cut a cross into it with a utility knife and it is then hung out on a post and you shoot it, usually there are 14 shooters per round and whoever is closest to their cross wins. I think it is 35 yards for ham or money matches and 45 yards for the closed beef match. For the ham or money match there is 1 winner per round of shooters, but for the closed beef match all the boards are judged together from every round. You can shoot multiple rounds in the beef match, and win multiple times.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Friendship, Indiana at the NMLRA range used to have a couple during the year and that's about 1 hour & 40 minutes drive from Borden. You might check out their website or contact them. They had different contests both traditional shotgun turkey board shoots and muzzleloader shotgun turkey board shoots. Not sure if they are still going on or not. Right now all there events have been cancelled due to COVID. Here's their website: https://nmlra.membershipsoftware.org/

I used to go to the Friendship flea market with my family when I was younger. I was just telling my girlfriend I'd like to go this year if they still have it. I didn't realize they had a turkey shoot. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden

I figure most would be canceled or postponed at this point. They're a little too crowded for social distancing.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    I'm a Director at the St. Anthony conservation club which is sort of tied together with Birdseye and Schnellville conservation clubs. When I find out their schedules I will post them here. We only do a spring shoot at our club, the fall one just wasn't worth having anymore. Celestine has cancelled all their shoots in August and September due to the Rona.

Edit:
    As of now Scnellville Conservation club is having a shoot on Oct. 4th and one on Dec. 6th

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it works out and they don't have to cancel or reschedule

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Yes, and even thingamajigs. It's difficult to be competitive without a long tube with all of the doodads, thingamabobs, and thingamajigs.

Article on the shooting matches

its been about 17 years or so since I've been to one. I was shooting one of my grandas Winchester 37s with a choked down barrel and a Simmons 9x scope. Some people were shooting guns with 5 foot long barrels. I'd love to find a shoot mandating stock guns. I've got a stock Winchester 97 that I think would do pretty good.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    its been about 17 years or so since I've been to one. I was shooting one of my grandas Winchester 37s with a choked down barrel and a Simmons 9x scope. Some people were shooting guns with 5 foot long barrels. I'd love to find a shoot mandating stock guns. I've got a stock Winchester 97 that I think would do pretty good.

Personally, I think if they required all shots to be taken from a standing, unsupported position that would be a good start. However, I think this would also reduce the number of people that travel long distances to compete with those specialize rigs and thus decrease the funds raised by the groups putting on the matches.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Personally, I think if they required all shots to be taken from a standing, unsupported position that would be a good start. However, I think this would also reduce the number of people that travel long distances to compete with those specialize rigs and thus decrease the funds raised by the groups putting on the matches.

Interesting. Is that how they were when they first started? Standing unsupported? Id never heard of that. My family actually used to host a shoot way back in the day. I'd say in the 60s or 70s in Floyds Knobs. They had a farm and supplied all of the prize meat. . It would be quite a site to see someone trying to hold up one of those long guns lol.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I doubt it was ever a rule that was just my idea for reducing some of the silliness. I do remember many/most people shooting unsupported. My grandfather won a lot of meat with a stock model 12. He took shooting matches really seriously and used to complain when someone who wasn't elderly(defined as someone much older than him and he shot matches into his mid 70's) or a kid shot supported and placed.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    I doubt it was ever a rule that was just my idea for reducing some of the silliness. I do remember many/most people shooting unsupported. My grandfather won a lot of meat with a stock model 12. He took shooting matches really seriously and used to complain when someone who wasn't elderly(defined as someone much older than him and he shot matches into his mid 70's) or a kid shot supported and placed.

That's funny. My grandpa was obsessed with Winchester model 37 and 97s, but won most of his meat with a Remington model 10. My grandma shot too. She liked an 870 she had.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    After running shoots for the last 12 years I can say 2 things, stock barrels still win A LOT of of the time, yeah putting more bbs on the board helps, but it only takes one lucky one to win. Also, there is no way we could run off the long barrels, as previously stated it would significantly decrease the prizes on the closed match and the amount of money clubs make. Most of the long barrel shooters will drop several hundred dollars on boards and food, your average local guy with a shotgun will maybe spend $40.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    After running shoots for the last 12 years I can say 2 things, stock barrels still win A LOT of of the time, yeah putting more bbs on the board helps, but it only takes one lucky one to win. Also, there is no way we could run off the long barrels, as previously stated it would significantly decrease the prizes on the closed match and the amount of money clubs make. Most of the long barrel shooters will drop several hundred dollars on boards and food, your average local guy with a shotgun will maybe spend $40.

I guess that makes sense. Those guys spend a lot of money on those guns and take it pretty serious.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

Or you may get more folks bringing their hunting guns and having a go. I know more than a few that don't go at all since they see the heavily modded guns giving a too much of an advantage.

Maybe having a stock class and a unlimited class would bring in more shooters. Another thing too might be having the muzzles being parallel.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've never been to one that wasn't shot unsupported, and I have won a lot of bacon against them long barrels. Funny how it's different everywhere you go.

Top Bottom