• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Kind of a spin-off of another thread. When friends and family call and ask for deals on mags and ammo etc...where do you send them? If you had to put together a prioritized list with a budget of $200-$300 (Extended budget) what would that list look like? Assuming they have at least one handgun and one rifle.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I couldn't tell you, but when my son moved his family from Fishers to Washington Indiana last week, we dropped by the next day to see the new place and I asked hum how he was set up?
    After hearing his Glock-17 was in a self storage locker someplace and he was out of 9mm for his G-26 he had with him, I gave him the four boxes of 9mm Remington FMJ I had just bought (all trey had on the shelves at the FW Rural King the week before), and before leaving I handed him a Marlin Mdl 60 and a partial box of .22, and a Mossberg 500 pump.
    I thought the Washington In Wal-Mart, might still sell shotgun shells.
    I don't know if there are any LGS in the area.
    Next rip I will have a couple boxes of shells for him some more .22 and a gun vault for his G-17.
    But that is what dads are for, no payment needed.

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I couldn't tell you, but when my son moved his family from Fishers to Washington Indiana last week, we dropped by the next day to see the new place and I asked hum how he was set up?
    After hearing his Glock-17 was in a self storage locker someplace and he was out of 9mm for his G-26 he had with him, I gave him the four boxes of 9mm Remington FMJ I had just bought (all trey had on the shelves at the FW Rural King the week before), and before leaving I handed him a Marlin Mdl 60 and a partial box of .22, and a Mossberg 500 pump.
    Next rip I will have a couple boxes of shells for him some more .22 and a gun vault for his G-17.

I actually did something Similar for my brother. He is not in a position to spend an extra dime right and was out of everything.

This question may be more geared towards people not close to you, or in your inner circle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So a person has $200-$300 to spend on accessories and ammo? They already have the gun? I might be missing the point of this thread and if so I apologize.

Magazines are good investment. Realistically the only ammo a person would have is what fits in their magazines. Oh and the magazines don’t do any good without the ammo. So new gun owner needs to also budget for at least 5 magazines for the gun, enough good quality ammo to fill those mags and some practice ammo. If their gun is a handgun I would also encourage them to buy a good belt, holster, mag pouch and invest in some type of small safe to secure the weapon. The little safes will set you back $20-$40.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I actually did something Similar for my brother. He is not in a position to spend an extra dime right and was out of everything.

This question may be more geared towards people not close to you, or in your inner circle.

My SIL and a nephew are about the only family member left I will take care of. Some very bad life choices have alienated anybody else from me even wanting them to be armed. I have seen to any needs they have. Raising a family comes 1st. Last. Always.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    What advice would I give to someone who needs to find deals on ammo/mags?

If you can find ammo, buy it.

Magazines (at this point) are essentially a commodity.
    Prices will be similar nearly everywhere. Add 'em to your ammo purchase.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN

Does he realize how lucky he is to have you for a dad?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well who here would have ever thought they would see a 50ct box of 9mm sell for $25?

I would find a deal on ammo and blow the wad on my favorite cal and not look back...

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yeah, we had dinner with my son in Bloomington on Saturday, his birthday was Friday, and Bloomington is half way between, Fishers and Washington.
    Anyway I gave him a GunVault drop down mountable pistol safe, two boxes of 12 Ga, and a 325 box of .22lr.
    That should last him, he did say he stopped by the Washington Wal-Mart and they di have some 22lr and 12 Ga on the shelves, so now he is on his own.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Rural King, Dunhams and LGS. Generally 12ga is still cheap, even if 8 shot. 9mm? Good luck. It's all high dollar stuff for the most part. I've picked up a little here and there, but just a matter of keeping an open eye. LGS for 9mm... I've not found any at all in Rural King or Dunhams. Depending on your location, check independent hardware stores too. Some carry ammo. Same with bait and tackle.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    $300 is not enough to learn to shoot efficiently so I would offer to help him get the most ammo/instruction I could. Of course outfitting offspring was just part of raising children for me. Now it’s fun to help do it with GrKids.

Top Bottom