Went out with my favorite shooting buddy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I took my 4 year son old out to the bil's house to shoot the 15-22. He is sensitive to loud noises, always covering his ears when he thinks something is going to be louder than normal. Even suppressed he thought it was loud. When I was showing him how to look through the scope he would be holding one hand over his ear and trying to shoulder his other ear. He didn't want to shoot it at all for fear that it would be too loud, he was getting scared, and it was too heavy for him to hold on his own. So I held it out in front of me, pointed at the target and he reluctantly pulled the trigger. After the first shot it was like you flipped a switch and he was all in. He emptied 3 magazines (with me still holding it at the gong) as fast as I could put them in.
    Overall a great little first shooting session. Went from me thinking that he's too young and too afraid to him having the biggest s&!t eating grin:D. Cant wait for the next time we go out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At 4, the 10/22 might be a bit too big for him.

But congrats on making a memory with him. He'll remember that as an adult.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Them are good times.
    I ended up buying a Davey Cricket 22lr years ago to train my children on. Now its training my grandchildren, and great nephew.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Savage Rascal is a great option as well. What I taught my youngest daughter with

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I had a suppressor on it....

I get it, and certainly not a sermon. I will say as a father with two sons that also grew up shooting from a very young age with cans, put kids glasses and a small set of electronic muffs on your son when shooting, even with a can. When its instilled young, they will carry it throughout life. Now as 21 and 23 year old Marines, you will not see them shoot without proper PPE.
    With the electronic muffs you can talk to each other without taking off any safety equipment. Instill it now while its easy to control.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for a 10/22 being too heavy. Learned it twice over with my kids.

but when they got a bit older, replacing the stock wit an Axiom helps tremendously. At 8yo they both complained about weight until I put that on it. But you have a few years to go, so just planting that nugget for later.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Started my son shooting at 5, he was sensitive to the loud noises also, but once I got him some good ear muffs, after that he was raring to go.....he's 18 now, has his own shotgun, .22 rifle, .22 pistol, and just got his LTCH...and a S&W Shield as his EDC........Congrats on starting him off right!!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I just picked up the granddaughter a Norinko copy of the Browning SA-22.

Cost less than a any of the single shots and even made by Norinko it will last a lifetime.

Short, light and you can load as few as you want up to 10.

One of JM Browning's last designs...

Top Bottom