• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    What really drives the preference? Most at work fall into the no safety camp. For me the only ones that have a safety are the 1911’s. G92, Sig 365 both use the safety between your ears.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I went no safety from the start because my first pistol was a G19. Learned everything on that gun. After that, a safety seemed like just something to get in the way when simplicity of movement might be imperative.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To each their own, but put me down for no safety. I have some handguns that have a safety, but none of my carry guns have one.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Everything I own has a safety! Like everything else, when you train/practice it's not an impediment it becomes 2nd nature.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st thing I do when I pick up my EDC is check for the safety being "ON"
    As I holster the firearm my thumb automatically makes sure it remains "ON" as it is being holstered.
    When I remove it at any time for any reason beside needing to point it somewhere my thumb just goes under the safety to insure it is on as I take it out of the holster.

Wash rinse repeat.

If you actually train with the platform you carry muscle memory goes a long long way.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    As I holster the firearm my thumb automatically makes sure it remains "ON" as it is being holstered.
    When I remove it at any time for any reason beside needing to point it somewhere my thumb just goes under the safety to insure it is on as I take it out of the holster.

Wash rinse repeat.

If you actually train with the platform you carry muscle memory goes a long long way.

This. I carried 1911's for years and the switched to Glocks. For a very long time I would still sweep the safety off on the Glock during the draw. Yeah I know:rolleyes: but it still happened, I am now transitioning back to my beloved 1911's. I'm starting all over with the conscious practice of rebuilding the memory of the draw stroke to include the safety. It's just a matter of practice. I won't carry 1911's again until it is just a natural draw.

Bob

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    When I remove it at any time for any reason beside needing to point it somewhere my thumb just goes
    under the safety to insure it is on as I take it out of the holster.
    Wash rinse repeat.

I grew up with revolvers...so no 'safety' for me...train with what you use and practice safety techniques for that weapon.
    Biggest safety is the one between the ears and if that one ain't working, none of the others will work quite right either.
    Never pull a weapon unless you intended to use it...aka, don't play around with a weapon, especially a loaded one!
    Never put the booger finger on the trigger until one is ready to fire...and you'll save many a 'accidental-discharge' incident!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    It depends on the action of the pistol. I prefer no safety, unless the gun is SAO. So far most here seem to fall into this camp. Here are my guidelines:

I shoot a lot of DA revolvers; no safety needed.
    SA revolvers; no safety needed.
    DA/SA pistols also do not need a safety, but must be holstered hammer down.
    For my 1911s and SAO Sig X5s; they obviously need a safety and they are always used.
    So far, my pocket guns are DAO, so no safety is needed. Seems safer and quicker to deploy.
    I have two striker fired pistols and I prefer them without a safety.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Is there anything wrong with having a gun that has a safety but holstering it with the safety OFF?

Pends on the gun. A modern DAO striker-fired pistol with a trigger safety that happens to also have a manually operated striker block? Fine to be off safe all the time.. it’s like a Block, but with a safety.

1911 SAO? Only holster off safety if you feel like adding a body piercing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For me it depends on trigger pull weight. Keep it at 4-ish lbs, no safety needed other than what is built into the trigger.

Get under that and I'll want an extra safety. All of my handguns are above 4 lbs with the exception of my 1911 (which has several safeties).

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Doesn't matter. I have both but I've trained so much with pistols with a safety that my thumb goes through the motion of disengaging a safety as part of my draw regardless of the pistol. Except for revolvers, my thumb just knows there isn't one there.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I carried a 1911 for a lot of years before going over to a striker fired gun.

A well designed safety is fine. But the only well designed safety is on a 1911 or copy.

If it isn't at least as intuitive as a 1911's safety, it doesn't belong on a gun.

I don't think even a light SAO really needs a safety with modern kydex holsters that protect the gun well. Especially on a hammer fired gun where you can control the hammer during holstering.

Top Bottom