Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    wcd

User Info Menu

Safety versus not

What really drives the preference? Most at work fall into the no safety camp. For me the only ones that have a safety are the 1911’s. G92, Sig 365 both use the safety between your ears.

ACC
    Expert

User Info Menu

I went no safety from the start because my first pistol was a G19. Learned everything on that gun. After that, a safety seemed like just something to get in the way when simplicity of movement might be imperative.

User Info Menu

To each their own, but put me down for no safety. I have some handguns that have a safety, but none of my carry guns have one.

Expert

User Info Menu

Is there anything wrong with having a gun that has a safety but holstering it with the safety OFF?

User Info Menu

Everything I own has a safety! Like everything else, when you train/practice it's not an impediment it becomes 2nd nature.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

1st thing I do when I pick up my EDC is check for the safety being "ON"
    As I holster the firearm my thumb automatically makes sure it remains "ON" as it is being holstered.
    When I remove it at any time for any reason beside needing to point it somewhere my thumb just goes under the safety to insure it is on as I take it out of the holster.

Wash rinse repeat.

If you actually train with the platform you carry muscle memory goes a long long way.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    As I holster the firearm my thumb automatically makes sure it remains "ON" as it is being holstered.
    When I remove it at any time for any reason beside needing to point it somewhere my thumb just goes under the safety to insure it is on as I take it out of the holster.

Wash rinse repeat.

If you actually train with the platform you carry muscle memory goes a long long way.
    This. I carried 1911's for years and the switched to Glocks. For a very long time I would still sweep the safety off on the Glock during the draw. Yeah I know but it still happened, I am now transitioning back to my beloved 1911's. I'm starting all over with the conscious practice of rebuilding the memory of the draw stroke to include the safety. It's just a matter of practice. I won't carry 1911's again until it is just a natural draw.

Bob
    The failure to plan and practice, is to plan and practice failure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    When I remove it at any time for any reason beside needing to point it somewhere my thumb just goes
    under the safety to insure it is on as I take it out of the holster.
    Wash rinse repeat.
    I grew up with revolvers...so no 'safety' for me...train with what you use and practice safety techniques for that weapon.
    Biggest safety is the one between the ears and if that one ain't working, none of the others will work quite right either.
    Never pull a weapon unless you intended to use it...aka, don't play around with a weapon, especially a loaded one!
    Never put the booger finger on the trigger until one is ready to fire...and you'll save many a 'accidental-discharge' incident!
    Stupid should hurt!!! ~ Amishman44

Plinker

User Info Menu

Put me down for-with safety-if is a single action.
    I prefer double action or DA/SA with NO safety on a carry weapon though.

User Info Menu

It depends on the action of the pistol. I prefer no safety, unless the gun is SAO. So far most here seem to fall into this camp. Here are my guidelines:

I shoot a lot of DA revolvers; no safety needed.
    SA revolvers; no safety needed.
    DA/SA pistols also do not need a safety, but must be holstered hammer down.
    For my 1911s and SAO Sig X5s; they obviously need a safety and they are always used.
    So far, my pocket guns are DAO, so no safety is needed. Seems safer and quicker to deploy.
    I have two striker fired pistols and I prefer them without a safety.

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.” – Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast