• ...and so much more!
  • Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Porter county Machine gun stolen from Hobart officer
    A Colt A-1 machine gun was reported stolen from a Hobart police officer's personal vehicle overnight Monday. The officer told Porter County police the department-issued weapon was in his truck, parked in the 200 block of Wexford Road, south of U.S. 30 and west of Valparaiso, because of his plans to go to the shooting range. He was "pretty sure" the vehicle was locked, according to the report, but there were no signs of forced entry. The gun, in a case with four magazines, had been under the seat.

Porter County police blotter for 05/08/08 :: News :: Post-Tribune

I am speechless...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This is why your weapon is never more than arm's reach away from you, or you can CONFIRM it's locked up.

That type of negligence could get some one killed. I hope he's prepared for that. He ought to lose his badge.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Would that really be a "machine gun" that was issued to him, or is this the typical media calling an AR-15 a "machine gun"??

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Would that really be a "machine gun" that was issued to him, or is this the typical media calling an AR-15 a "machine gun"??

Hard to tell. It may even have been a "neutered" DOD lend/lease M16A1. There is just no way to tell based upon that article. Either is possible.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I have the utmost respect for cops and will nearly always give them the benefit of the doubt. That said, he's "pretty sure" that he locked the doors!?!? What kind of dumba** leaves a firearm in his vehicle without KNOWING that the doors are looked?

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I have the utmost respect for cops and will nearly always give them the benefit of the doubt. That said, he's "pretty sure" that he locked the doors!?!? What kind of dumba** leaves a firearm in his vehicle without KNOWING that the doors are looked?

I think we all do, but "dumb is as dumb does". I have family and friends that are police officers, so I have heard some doosies from them as well.

Remember the SWAT guys that had their van full of goodies stolen a few years back? Parked at the hotel and awoke to an empty parking spot. HK MP5s, Colt M16s.... the works....

It sure doesnt help our cause either.:xmad:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008

better yet why was it left in the vehicle? it doesnt take much time for a snatch and grab.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    More to the point, what would happen if one of us lowly "civilians" (note sarcastic usage) did this with a Class III or even just a semi-auto AR?

It would be more than just a badge we'd lose.

Blessings,
    B

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    More to the point, what would happen if one of us lowly "civilians" (note sarcastic usage) did this with a Class III or even just a semi-auto AR?

Blessings,
    B
    i agree. They should be judged the same way we are.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008

Blessings,
    B

That sounds great, but can you really point to a case where that has happened?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Why would the loss of a class III weapon be any different than any other firearm / possession. Anyone have any laws?

Who needs laws? Been watching the thing with Mr. Olofson in Wisconsin? The whole thing sounds made up on the spot and highly unConstitutional.
    Paraphrasing Lily Tomlin's "Ernestine", however: "We're the ATF. We can do that." :puke:

Should a so-called "class III" be any different? Of course not. I'm just reasonably certain that ATF will do anything they can to make life rough on gun owners. Hell, one fourth (and I'm being kind and averaging to get that number) of their job is "infringing" on the rights of firearm owners.

Blessings,
    B

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Porter county Machine gun stolen from Hobart officer
    A Colt A-1 machine gun was reported stolen from a Hobart police officer's personal vehicle overnight Monday. The officer told Porter County police the department-issued weapon was in his truck, parked in the 200 block of Wexford Road, south of U.S. 30 and west of Valparaiso, because of his plans to go to the shooting range. He was "pretty sure" the vehicle was locked, according to the report, but there were no signs of forced entry. The gun, in a case with four magazines, had been under the seat.

Porter County police blotter for 05/08/08 :: News :: Post-Tribune

I am speechless...

I hope they catch the thief!

Top Bottom