• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I think this is a wonderful video. I know this question has been asked by some here and I thought some might find this useful.

I agree that most ladies who are not already familiar with guns usually don't benefit from a long range day intro unless they had some sort of incident in their life that is driving it.

There was a couple in our church that had such an incident. But the wife had negative past experiences with guns so she was very apprehensive.

This year I introduced her to the gun world. I started with 10 minutes or so of education, 4 safety commandments...ect. I then started her out on a .22 pistol for quite a few mags. Once she was comfortable I asked if she wanted to try a larger caliber and we moved to a 9mm. By the end, she was comfortable and thanked me for helping her to overcome her fears.

We now have one more person in the pro-firearm camp. However, I understand she is the exception rather than the rule. That is why I posted the video.

I think far to many ladies are the victims of "let her shoot the big gun and watch her freak out" type of jerks. Every time I see a video where someone does that, I feel like smacking the people setting up the new shooter.

Just because we have been seeing record gun and ammo sales, does not mean people are learning how to safely shoot. I think most of this is driven out of fear and desperation because of the current political environment.

TAKE NEW PEOPLE TO THE RANGE!!! Removing people's fear of guns and showing them the truth is really the only way we are going to be able to protect our freedoms for the long term.

[video=youtube;XoAgMA55aZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoAgMA55aZA[/video]

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree with you 100% about giving anyone new to firearms a large caliber to start with, women, children or even men!

Been several years now that I started two of my young grandsons shooting. We were all at my sons rural home (their fathers) and his younger brother was also with me. I began by loading one round of 22 lr in my rifle and let each one shoot at a target about 25 yards away. We repeated this several times. Their ages were (as I remember) about 7 to 9.

We repeated this several times until they were hitting the target pretty well. I had my muzzle loader, an SKS and a .308 lever action Winchester with me so my son's and I began shooting the other firearms at about 50 yards.

The oldest boy wanted to shoot the SKS, after a lengthy discussion and warning it would "kick" we decided to let him. He shot it once and wanted to shoot it more. Again we discussed it and let him fire it several times. Then the youngest just begged to shoot it.

So again discussion and warnings, we let him. He shot it and had a big grin on his face but didn't want to keep shooting it! In subsequent visits they shot just about every caliber I owned! Both grandsons are adults now with children of their own and are ardent shooters now, only complaint their father has is they shoot up all his ammo when they visit.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When introducing new people to guns/shooting, my approach always starts with..be safe and have fun. After that it's keep it simple, keep it fairly short and keep it fun. But always keep it safe

Top Bottom