• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey everyone,

So I'm wanting to raise some cash together so that I can order a custom gun from Magnum Research. In doing so I'm going to sell some of my other guns to raise part of the money. Would it be worth my time to set up at some local gun shows?I'm not really wanting to use Armslist and the fees on Gunbroker add up to some of the set up fees of the local gun shows in my area. What is the communities thoughts on this?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Just like anything else, if you have good items, and price it right, it will sell. Todays political climate means that some overpriced and sub par items will sell as well. It can be a fun way to spend a weekend, so yes, my vote is to give it a shot. At the very worst, you will only be out your time and table rent.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Depends on how much the booth rent is I guess and how quickly you need the funds. I'd probably start with classifieds here first. But even here I feel like it's hard to sell certain items.

You need to be careful though and research what the NFA standard is for private gun sales before you set up at a show. Or make friends with a LGS who is setting up there and sell your stuff on consignment.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just like anything else, if you have good items, and price it right, it will sell. Todays political climate means that some overpriced and sub par items will sell as well. It can be a fun way to spend a weekend, so yes, my vote is to give it a shot. At the very worst, you will only be out your time and table rent.

I have always been on the buying side of the table so I don’t have any GS sellers experience but some of the guys I come across are very brash. This could be due to dealing with too many unreasonable people.

If you need to thicken up your skin prior to the gun show just hang out in the political section. :):

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    If you do set up at a gun show, have all of your items priced in advance.

Other dealers will often swarm in when a new guy shows up, and in the confusion, it's easy to make a mistake and sell something too cheap!

Take your time, and write yourself a note on your lowest price for each item.

Good luck!

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    More deals are made at gun shows before the doors open. Know what you want for your items and be ready for all kinds of offers.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hey everyone,

So I'm wanting to raise some cash together so that I can order a custom gun from Magnum Research. In doing so I'm going to sell some of my other guns to raise part of the money. Would it be worth my time to set up at some local gun shows?I'm not really wanting to use Armslist and the fees on Gunbroker add up to some of the set up fees of the local gun shows in my area. What is the communities thoughts on this?

Do you have so much quantity that listing in the INGO classifieds would be too much trouble? As long as you don't setup a store in there, that would be the least expensive option. You can set your own terms for meetings, and see how that goes for you on your items.

On the other side of things, the gun shows fees will be fixed, so no matter what or how much you sell, you will pay. That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Some of the guns I want to sell would sell better in the October gun shows (I think at least ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )since they’re bolt guns and deer season is in November. I thought about the classifieds and I might go that route. I’ve never had any luck in the past.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I'd save the money and post local depending on what guns you actually have. Honestly, unless you have some great prices or hard to obtain guns, it's a crap shoot right now on guns. Ammo on the other hand is golden for those who have none.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I spoke to a dealer that used to have quite a few tables at the Fort Wayne Coliseum gun/knife show. He had to mark up his prices compared to his shop prices to make any money. Unless you have a large quantity of merchandise to sell the price of the table/space rent will kill your profits.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I rented a table once at the 1500. I think it was $75 and came with two 3 day badges. I went in halves with another guy. It worked out well. Sold stuff and got to see "behind the curtain", so to speak. Met some nice dealers and some real arseholes. Overall, well worth the money, just for the entertainment value. The sales were a bonus.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If your guns don't move at a show, you are out your table costs and time, and gas if not local.

If your guns don't sell on Ingo or gunbroker, you are out maybe 5min per gun listed.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'd recommend against it Several years ago I tried to sell a PPC revolver 1 most folks at gun shows arent appreciative of what a certain type a gun is and 2 and more importantly people just being nosey pain in the rears than really interested.

You'd probably be better off on any of the classified sites as well they are usually free and reach a wider audience that are looking for your specific items

Good luck.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Some of the guns I want to sell would sell better in the October gun shows (I think at least ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )since they’re bolt guns and deer season is in November. I thought about the classifieds and I might go that route. I’ve never had any luck in the past.

If you list in the classifieds here, you're not out anything if your items don't sell. Unless it's priced really well, I think bolt guns might sit a while, though. Guns are flying off the shelves right now, but I guarantee you that it's not bolt guns, and not because hunting season is approaching.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Booth rent for the 1500 was supposed to be going up to $100 per table. Not sure if it is in effect yet?
    I was a licensed dealer for many years before I got burned out. Started at the 1500 back in '87. 25 years of doing 20+ shows per year took their toll. Met some awesome people along the way. Got robbed blind in Merrillville by table pirates. They got quite a few dealers at that particular show so watch your items! This was an organized group. We had a guy at the Kokomo show that my homies took care of. He pushes roses now. (Clarification. A highly suspected gun show shoplifter was apprehended in the act by my best friend & my other buddies from the Kokomo Police Dept and he resisted arrest while in possession of a stolen firearm from this show. His nearby truck was searched prior to towing and numerous other stolen items were found. The accused commited suicide by hanging while his domocile was being raided during a search warrant as there were other stolen firearms that were going to be recovered. As far as I was given information, he was a serial firearm shoplifter that possibly had ties to trafficking stolen firearms) Any other information about this case I cannot confirm or deny and I suggest you contact KPD CID at this point.

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Have rented a table at two gun shows.

Recommend you split the table with a relative or really good friend to reduce expense and to have someone trustworthy to look out for you while each other ventures out to sample other tables, restroom breaks etc..., and most importantly to overfill the table with goods. I believe the more gun/ammo s*#t one has displayed, the more flies it'll draw. We selected shows with a one day venue, had a good time and made some decent money, your results may vary.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It can be a fun weekend if you assume you aren't going to sell anything.

Start small. One table. Don't overcrowd it. Secure everything. Two people on your side of the table. Keep your spidey senses up and avod being trapped into a strawman sale or someone who discloses they don't live in this state. The ATF is present. I've seen arrests and everything on the table swept into plastic garbage cans and confiscated.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Another thing that helps is standing up so you are eye level with any potential customers. I know one gets tired but when I can stay engaged with a buyer, I sold more. That and I had my stuff priced to move. Look on gunbroker and Rural King to see what they are selling, take a reasonable % off for being used and work toward getting it gone. Don't expect to retire but recoup an amount to work toward the goal of getting your next project off the ground.

Another thing that has not been addressed is the time, efgort and gas expense if you sell on classifieds. If you can combine a trip in selling and maybe dining at a favorite or new restaurant = winning!!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I’m tempted to go through with it and try it. The county I’m in has a gun show in October that’s $25 table rent, $20 if you bring your own table. I don’t have a huge amount of things to sell but I feel like I’d do better if I could lay everything out. On top of the guns I’d have to sell I have accessories. Some ammunition, and some knives.

Top Bottom