• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Have a chance at some fill dirt free. Would like to know how tall to build a rifle berm that can double as pistol of course then one dedicated to pistol separately. First one would take priority as second one would be a luxury. Is 10 ft the accepted height? Would want the Side Berms for pistol to cover side and front, but for long range rifle shooting, how far out do side berms need to go? I want to go shoot from at least 100 yards but I can bulldoze a path back further than that. Probably up to 300 yards.

Found this as an example to follow and modify.

Does anyone have any other plans out there that I could look at for ideas as this is in the early stages but the dirt will be available late fall/winter.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/designdevelop/pdf/D-311RifleRangeFacilities.pdf

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Make dam sure its CLEAN fill, A local Conservation Club years back accepted a huge amount of fill with loads of rock and concrete.
    Not something you want to shoot into.
    And if you have the room I would accept all you can, with berms bigger is better. Take a peek at Atlanta's CC berms.. They are huge 15+ ft tall...

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    If interested and not too far for me,I would come over and look at your layout and advise free of charge. Many ranges home and clubs make huge mistakes. Pm if interested.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    One thing I would advise is to keep in mind that the dirt will settle in the first few years, if you are just piling it up. My 12' berm has probably settled 3 feet since 2014, most of it in the 1st two years. Either know you will need more dirt later, keep some spare dirt (in other words don't utilize every yard you have for berms currently), or have it tracked in (compacted) as its built. I just piled mine as high as the hoe would reach, and can always get more dirt, which is actually happening now. It will take significantly more dirt to track it in, due to compaction but also due to the fact that it will be wider at the bottom to allow a dozer to drive on the top.

Another thing I have noticed is that if I let the weeds get out of hand, the extra height gives a false sense of security, to guests especially. The internets say a 9mm will travel 2200 meters. Nearest house to me is well over half mile, that is still in the danger zone. Nothing can be allowed to go over, no matter what.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If interested and not too far for me,I would come over and look at your layout and advise free of charge. Many ranges home and clubs make huge mistakes. Pm if interested.
    Would you mind expounding on some of the mistakes you've seen made?
    I've worked with what I've had, which were a pair of gravel pits, and I really like it but I'm sure it could be improved. I would like to avoid proceeding down the wrong path, however.

Top Bottom