230 yds with a 22 pistol - what’s your Challenge shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    As a kid whenever playing horse on the basketball court I always liked to do come up with a shot that was impractical and challenging. Like throwing it over the support beams from half court. I’ve not really matured past that as an adult and shooting gives me that same ‘hey, I wonder if I can actually make this’ challenge.

Over the weekend I spent a few hrs at the outdoor range. Had a paper target set at 30 yds, a playing card on a yard stick turned sideways at 30ft, and a 8x10 metal plate at about 230yds. I shot a few thru my carry to keep familiar with it. Then a few thru the Cz Shadow just because it’s still ‘new’ to me and it’s really fun. Then I shot a few 223 but put it up early. A bit expensive to replace rounds now.

I took my last 2 boxes of CCI SV and went for goal #1 - hit something at 230yds with my pistol. I was using my MKIV that’s set up for bullseye/precision and tuned the Matchdot to the smallest and lowest brightness I could and sat down on a bench and used a bag for a rest. Using points in the background I emptied the first mag and only saw 1 hit in the dust. Because of COVID there haven’t been as many ppl go to the range and matches were off for so long the grass has grown up a bit in the back of the hill/berm where the bullets hit. I went thru the 2nd mag and had only a couple come anywhere near it. Really frustrating. Not sure if it’s my trigger pull, the wind, or a number of things. Started to get discouraged about it.

So I put the pistols down and dinged the plate with my 10/22 a few times. In doing so I knocked it off the stand and at the next clear, I went up and reset the target placing it in an area with less grass.

3rd mag in and I pushed the bag to the side and just planted the butt Of the grip firmly on the bench and scooted back to line up. There is a spot that I found about 10ft or so higher than the mound that would get me close. First couple of shots got me close. About the 4the round out I heard the “Ding” I’ve been working towards. It felt awesome to pull it off. Too bad I was by myself with no one to see or give a high five.

I then decided to try and split a playing card like I see Plinkster22 do on YouTube. How hard could that be??? Lol. My old eyes couldn’t see it! I shot at that thing 30 times and only managed a couple of scrapes. It’s a wonderful exercise for trigger pull and keeping your horizontal stability when firing. There is Zero leeway. Any little bit left or right and you miss.

Curious, what are your Challenge shots?

Attachments

• F70609E1-CAD3-4539-8A1C-981AE9FDB01D.jpg
      F70609E1-CAD3-4539-8A1C-981AE9FDB01D.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 14
    • 67AE6DD3-2866-4AFA-A21F-BFA8EF4EFAF8.jpeg
      67AE6DD3-2866-4AFA-A21F-BFA8EF4EFAF8.jpeg
      87 KB · Views: 16

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Very good!

I have a MKII 10" target model that I love to shoot. Being the range I belong to is limited to 100 yards, I just make the targets smaller. Friday I was about 80% on a 6" plate at 100 yards, off of a bag. I have a 3" plate hanging next to it. That's about a 40% hit ratio, again off of the bag. This is with the pistol 100% stock, including the sights.

And as to the card splitting, that's fun. I tried it last winter and had success with a couple of different pistols and distances. So much so we had a contest this earlier this year.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-card-splitting-challenge***win-prize***.html

A few more really challenging targets are cheese balls on toothpicks and the standard size green (or any color) army men. At shorter distances they are just fun. But once you get past about 25 yards, they become very challenging.

Cheese balls
    MxqYcef.jpg

Army men (not my pic but you get the idea)
    tt31btp.jpg

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Not my challenge, my son's: He likes to chop Q-Tips in half at 25/50/75/100 yards.
    He is very consistent with splits at 25 and 50 yards. He has a few splits at 75 yards. 100 Yards is the goal. He has grazed a few at 100, but no splits yet.

He just uses a 2x4 with a bunch of 1/8" holes drilled in it (3 1/2") side, spaced about 4" apart. He used a sharpie on the short side (1 1/2") side to number the holes.

I was shocked the first few times he did it. He is a much better shot than I am. (I taught him...but his eyes are waaaaay better than mine.)

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    I absolutely LOVE shooting long range with 22lr. So much in fact, I purchased a CZ 455 Ultra Lux with a ProStaff Rimfire scope. It took me some time but I managed to tumble rounds on paper at 300yrds. This rifle is excellent, so accurate. With the right ammo I can draw pictures at 50yrds.

My challenge was shooting 50 consecutive rounds at a 6" plate at 100yrds with my scoped 22lr CZ 512. I made it to 46, felt excited/confident/cocky and missed! Next time I'll achieve my goal!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've rung a full-sized (I think?) steel IPSC target at about 211 yards with a .22 LR pistol (4" barrel) - but definitely couldn't shoot for accuracy at that distance, with that pistol, topped with that red-dot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was a kid, we used to try and light Ohio Blue Tip matches (the kind you could strike on anything) with a .22, but never did better than just shooting the heads off of them at probably 15 - 20 yards or so. That was with a Mossberg 44 U.S. rifle with peep sights.

Top Bottom