Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gunvault SpeedVault

User Info Menu

I never paid more than $70 for the two I bought (gave my son one) at RK.

Marksman

User Info Menu

After doing some looking yesterday it doesn't appear to be much of a discount, I thought these things sold for like $160 bucks.
    I'm gonna pass on the biometric version, I might keep a lookout for the push button version as a couple of people have mentioned that they like them.
    Never argue with stupid people.

User Info Menu

I have a couple versions of a Fort Knox safe in my Amazon cart. Once I decide on my nightstand configuration, I'll pick one.

One is a top opening and the other a front.

Kinda pricey but I figure it's a buy once, cry once thing.
    Anything is possible

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I have a couple versions of a Fort Knox safe in my Amazon cart. Once I decide on my nightstand configuration, I'll pick one.

One is a top opening and the other a front.

Kinda pricey but I figure it's a buy once, cry once thing.
    I didn't see a Fort Knox one that is of the same style. If I got a horizontal mount one it be like 6' in the air, lol. I do like Fort Knox and V line locking system a lot better. I have like an 8" vertical space between two pieces of furniture to mount it.
    Never argue with stupid people.

User Info Menu

Be advised Gunvault's customer service is worse than bad. If you need something they will immediately deny the problem and blame the seller. Then they will say batteries need to have at least 5 years prior to the expiration date. Then they will demand video of you attempting to use the product and video of the battery's expiration date. All this for just a simple exchange.

User Info Menu

Yes, they are very expensive, but I am giving serious consideration to one of the "Night Stands" that Tactical Walls makes.
    Very stealthy and very efficient access: https://tacticalwalls.com/product/night-stand/
    Stamp collecting is fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STFU View Post
    Yes, they are very expensive, but I am giving serious consideration to one of the "Night Stands" that Tactical Walls makes.
    Very stealthy and very efficient access: https://tacticalwalls.com/product/night-stand/
    I'm a fairly good woodworker. It would be easy to build one of these. I wonder where I could get the mechanisms? I may do a little research.

For less than half of that I could make one with some really nice solid cherry or walnut.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    No. Biometrics in that size/form factor are still not reliable enough to bet your life on.

Stick with the 4 button version. I own several.
    +100 ^^^^^^^^^^ Same here. I own 2 of the 4 button versions. I use lithium batteries and they last 4-5 years on a 9v. They used to get hate because a couple of years ago the old mechanism used a metal cable that would eventually fatigue break. In the past 3-4 years they changed the mechanism and it is far more reliable now.

Keep in mind, they are lock boxes, not safes as I would define them. With the correct knowledge, they are not overly difficult to break open. But they are great for limiting the access of nosy children.
    "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I'm a fairly good woodworker. It would be easy to build one of these. I wonder where I could get the mechanisms? I may do a little research.

For less than half of that I could make one with some really nice solid cherry or walnut.
    I do a lot of wood working as well and was thinking the same thing. Please share if you find that type of hardware somewhere.
    Stamp collecting is fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STFU View Post
    I do a lot of wood working as well and was thinking the same thing. Please share if you find that type of hardware somewhere.
    I did a little searching while I was eating lunch (working from home so I can access my PC easy) and what I found is you can make one with common hardware; cabinet hinges, piano hinges, childproof magnetic locks, RFID locks, etc. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how elaborate you want it to be.

Since I haven't found any plans, the challenging part will be "engineering" it. I wouldn't have a problem doing that.

The one hesitation I have is that if I go with the magnetic locking system, I have to have a magnet nearby to be able to unlock it. I can hide it in a decoration of some type, but it is sorta like leaving the key to the safe on the table. I'll need to think about it vs just buying a small safe.

Anything is possible

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast