• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I am interested in something for overnight bedroom storage, that still allows quick access. The gunvault speedvault would fit my space great. I know that biometrics were not that good a few years ago. I understand it's not a safe, it's not meant to be one.

My questions are.
    1. Have the biometrics gotten better?
    2 what is a better option, that is made to occupy the same space. (Mount on a vertical surface)
    3. Should I just keep my money and wait for something else.

Any owners of Gunvault SpeedVaults knowledge is appreciated.

Mods if this belongs in Accessories and Gear please move.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have one, I have it bolted to the bed frame on one side of the bed, roll over, enter a 4 button code, the drawer drops and out pops a G-22 with Light/laser combo.
    I just gave my son one and found them both at Rural King.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No. Biometrics in that size/form factor are still not reliable enough to bet your life on.

Stick with the 4 button version. I own several.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    No. Biometrics in that size/form factor are still not reliable enough to bet your life on.

I have a buddy who can get 1 biometric one for under $100 this weekend, button version is not allowed.
    I don't think I would pay full price for one.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Huh.

[video=youtube;KdA-zUkM33k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdA-zUkM33k[/video]

There's a whole lot of ****ty gun "safes" on the market.

A lot of the electronic ones (keypad or fingerprint) rely on solenoids, which can often be beaten with a hard bump or powerful magnet.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Huh.

[video=youtube;KdA-zUkM33k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdA-zUkM33k[/video]

There's a whole lot of ****ty gun "safes" on the market.

A lot of the electronic ones (keypad or fingerprint) rely on solenoids, which can often be beaten with a hard bump or powerful magnet.

Anyone familiar with it could defeat it, or you could just smash it a couple times and it would open. As I said it's not a safe, I have one of those. This would be for a different purpose.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    These are not meant to be safes. If you want to get in them, they are easily defeated. They serve a purpose, for me, of keeping them out of others hands, like my kids and their friends. And maybe a dumb burglar. If I want more security, I have a proper safe for them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I prefer the Simplex type myself but others will do an acceptable job if you keep it in a place that most people are not aware it's there. Mainly it keeps little hands from being able to open a drawer and pick up a gun.

I once read that the average amount of time a robber spends in a house is like 5 1/2 minutes grabbing TV's, computers, audio equipment. If you have no indications that you are a firearm owner, they may not even take the time to look for them.

That video sure makes it look easy to open, but unless you know that trick, you probably won't get it open very quickly or quietly.

Just my opinion and I believe in getting the best but if the best is out of reach or not applicable for some reason, a modicum of security is better than none at all.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    After doing some looking yesterday it doesn't appear to be much of a discount, I thought these things sold for like $160 bucks.
    I'm gonna pass on the biometric version, I might keep a lookout for the push button version as a couple of people have mentioned that they like them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a couple versions of a Fort Knox safe in my Amazon cart. Once I decide on my nightstand configuration, I'll pick one.

One is a top opening and the other a front.

Kinda pricey but I figure it's a buy once, cry once thing.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have a couple versions of a Fort Knox safe in my Amazon cart. Once I decide on my nightstand configuration, I'll pick one.

One is a top opening and the other a front.

Kinda pricey but I figure it's a buy once, cry once thing.

I didn't see a Fort Knox one that is of the same style. If I got a horizontal mount one it be like 6' in the air, lol. I do like Fort Knox and V line locking system a lot better. I have like an 8" vertical space between two pieces of furniture to mount it.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Be advised Gunvault's customer service is worse than bad. If you need something they will immediately deny the problem and blame the seller. Then they will say batteries need to have at least 5 years prior to the expiration date. Then they will demand video of you attempting to use the product and video of the battery's expiration date. All this for just a simple exchange.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, they are very expensive, but I am giving serious consideration to one of the "Night Stands" that Tactical Walls makes.
    Very stealthy and very efficient access: https://tacticalwalls.com/product/night-stand/

I'm a fairly good woodworker. It would be easy to build one of these. I wonder where I could get the mechanisms? I may do a little research.

For less than half of that I could make one with some really nice solid cherry or walnut.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

+100 ^^^^^^^^^^ Same here. I own 2 of the 4 button versions. I use lithium batteries and they last 4-5 years on a 9v. They used to get hate because a couple of years ago the old mechanism used a metal cable that would eventually fatigue break. In the past 3-4 years they changed the mechanism and it is far more reliable now.

Keep in mind, they are lock boxes, not safes as I would define them. With the correct knowledge, they are not overly difficult to break open. But they are great for limiting the access of nosy children.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'm a fairly good woodworker. It would be easy to build one of these. I wonder where I could get the mechanisms? I may do a little research.

For less than half of that I could make one with some really nice solid cherry or walnut.

I do a lot of wood working as well and was thinking the same thing. Please share if you find that type of hardware somewhere.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do a lot of wood working as well and was thinking the same thing. Please share if you find that type of hardware somewhere.

I did a little searching while I was eating lunch (working from home so I can access my PC easy) and what I found is you can make one with common hardware; cabinet hinges, piano hinges, childproof magnetic locks, RFID locks, etc. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how elaborate you want it to be.

Since I haven't found any plans, the challenging part will be "engineering" it. I wouldn't have a problem doing that.

The one hesitation I have is that if I go with the magnetic locking system, I have to have a magnet nearby to be able to unlock it. I can hide it in a decoration of some type, but it is sorta like leaving the key to the safe on the table. I'll need to think about it vs just buying a small safe.

Top Bottom