Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with firearm thru O’Hare Airport?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    If you look at the CFR's, it clearly states that only the owner shall possess the key. If it's a TSA lock, then the owner, plus a thousand other knuckle-draggers have the keys.
    As I said, this has been thrashed thoroughly elsewhere. I will note that ones to enforce this rule are the...TSA. Happy flying.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Yes sir

Plinker

User Info Menu

So the handgun is in a locked case, which must be stowed in the checked baggage to be out of sight correct? Would the ammunition I have packed in a factory box have to go inside of another checked bag? Or can it be stored inside the same checked bag with the hard case?

User Info Menu

I fly out of ****cago pretty frequently, typically Southwest airlines. I generally put my EDC in a hard sided case with the magazines in the same case buried in my locked suitcase. I have a reloaders case for my ammo that is in the same hard sided case. I routinely carry one of my other handguns to the airport and then lock it in the vault in my car when I arrive. DO NOT use TSA locks on your gun case. TSA locks on your suitcase is fine. And yes, declare your firearm at the ticket counter.
    I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matthews View Post
    So the handgun is in a locked case, which must be stowed in the checked baggage to be out of sight correct? Would the ammunition I have packed in a factory box have to go inside of another checked bag? Or can it be stored inside the same checked bag with the hard case?
    Your ammo can be stored in the same locked case as your firearm. The ammo needs to be in a secure container.
    I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

Keeper of the Hammer

User Info Menu

To add, when flying with a handgun, I also tether my pistol case with cables and locks so that it can not be removed from my suitcase. If TSA needs to check my handgun again, they can come get me to do it. I've done this on more that a dozen flights over the last few years.
    INGO Classified Ad Rules
    INGO Forum Rules
    Click here to become an INGO
    Click here if you are interested in advertising

User Info Menu

Yeah I've flown out there no problem. Usually you can just Google firearm + whatever airline you are flying and they will give you there specifics.

Plinker

User Info Menu

And please don't get pulled over by local Chicago police on your way to the airport. You probably need to have the pistol in a locked case in the trunk, but I would not want to open the possibility of misunderstandings with the police and the various county or local laws.

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/huntin...armLegally.pdf

Plinker

User Info Menu

My wife has family in Illinois and I carry in the car when we travel. I keep a copy of the IL Firearm Concealed Carry Act printed and this section printed and highlighted as the first page. I generally don't do anything to be pulled over but its there just in case. Non-resident permit holders have more rights to carry than IL residents.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...7&ChapterID=39

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)

User Info Menu

The only thing that has jammed up some people is if for some reason they get stuck in New York (ex. Missed connection, Weather, airline issue, etc.). Then what?

Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast