Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with firearm thru O’Hare Airport?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Traveling with firearm thru O’Hare Airport?

Within a month I will be traveling to Colorado via O’Hare. If able, Im hoping to bring along my carry for the trip. Has anyone gone through the process and could walk me through it? One area I am worried about is the transportation from my vehicle to where it is checked in. Does the firearm have to be disassembled if I am not within my vehicle in Illinois? And will the ammunition need to be locked up as well?

User Info Menu

Una salus victis nullam sperare salute.
    The only hope for the doomed, is no hope at all
    Virgil

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast;
    for I intend to go in harm's way.
    John Paul Jones

A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.
    Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

So you are driving to Illinois and checking in at O'Hare?

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post

Aye Mateey, not one of your better quality posts.

Aye.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matthews View Post
    Within a month I will be traveling to Colorado via O’Hare. If able, Im hoping to bring along my carry for the trip. Has anyone gone through the process and could walk me through it? One area I am worried about is the transportation from my vehicle to where it is checked in. Does the firearm have to be disassembled if I am not within my vehicle in Illinois? And will the ammunition need to be locked up as well?
    Assuming your "carry" is a handgun, if it's packed in bag, or not conspicuous, you won't have a problem. Just head to the counter and declare it.

Follow the airline guidelines.

I think you'll find it's not as bad as you think.

Oh, and do not use a TSA approved lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matthews View Post
    I can't comment on your exact situation, but I had a connecting flight through O'Hare and had checked my piston in initially at Indianapolis. The airline was different and they wouldn't do an airline to airline transfer, so I had to exit the security gates to go pick up my firearm and check it back in at O'hare. If I recall correctly, ammo has to be checked in separately (ie in checked baggage) and the firearm must be in a locked case itself. I did not have to disassemble the firearm.

I will be interested in hearing a follow up to this once you've settled in from your return trip. Good Luck.
    Last edited by rawbeervoter; 1 Week Ago at 16:52. Reason: forgot to add something

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmpsteve View Post
    Aye Mateey, not one of your better quality posts.

Aye.

This is how you get up to 67K posts. He probably just wanted access to the classifieds

User Info Menu

A couple posts from a year ago on checking in at O'Hare with a firearm from another forum:

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic....7Hare#p1254116

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic....7Hare#p1237753

As bad as Illinois is about guns, they are not in the same level of Hell as NY and NJ. NY/NJ do have a habit of arresting non-NY/NJ residents who try to check a firearm at any of the NY and NJ airports. Chicago does not appear to do this.

Good luck.

And I can't resist: this is TSA's own guidance about what locks can be used on a hard-sided gun case:

You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

TSA has been pretty consistent over the years at stating that TSA-approved locks are acceptable for locking gun cases. There are entire mega-post threads here on INGO thrashing that one.

User Info Menu

But I would really try to find another, non-Illinois airport to leave from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    TSA has been pretty consistent over the years at stating that TSA-approved locks are acceptable for locking gun cases. There are entire mega-post threads here on INGO thrashing that one.
    If you look at the CFR's, it clearly states that only the owner shall possess the key. If it's a TSA lock, then the owner, plus a thousand other knuckle-draggers have the keys.

CFR 1540.111 (c)(2)(iv)

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

Personally, I'd want to make it as hard as possible for someone to gain access.

Last edited by JettaKnight; 1 Week Ago at 17:14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast