Current Lowest Cost Centerfire Cartridge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I'm not desperate for ammo. I have "enough to get me through", but I do have to think about my burn rate considering the cost/difficulty of replacing it. With that in mind, I've been poking around just seeing what's out there that might be <$.50 per round.

Imagine my surprise when I got a hit at 18.3¢/round. Who is selling ammo that cheap? What caliber? 9mm, 5.56, .40, 7.62X39...... nope, the ever popular, only one gun that shoots it, almost impossible to reload, 7.62X38r from Classic Firearms.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/russian-surplus-762-38r-nagant-revolver-ammo-spam-can/

So, I might just have to dust off the Nagant revolver, do some finger exercises to prep for the trigger pull, and wait for the first snow for authenticity, but it's cheaper than shooting anything else based on my limited research.

Anyone else find anything currently available in the $.20/round range? Not looking for shopping advice, just keeping an eye on the current climate/panic/scarcity.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Just noticed that Targetsports has 45 GAP Speer Gold dot for .37 a round.. GAP has pretty much be available through this whole mess.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm not desperate for ammo. I have "enough to get me through", but I do have to think about my burn rate considering the cost/difficulty of replacing it. With that in mind, I've been poking around just seeing what's out there that might be <$.50 per round.

Imagine my surprise when I got a hit at 18.3¢/round. Who is selling ammo that cheap? What caliber? 9mm, 5.56, .40, 7.62X39...... nope, the ever popular, only one gun that shoots it, almost impossible to reload, 7.62X38r from Classic Firearms.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/russian-surplus-762-38r-nagant-revolver-ammo-spam-can/

So, I might just have to dust off the Nagant revolver, do some finger exercises to prep for the trigger pull, and wait for the first snow for authenticity, but it's cheaper than shooting anything else based on my limited research.

Anyone else find anything currently available in the $.20/round range? Not looking for shopping advice, just keeping an eye on the current climate/panic/scarcity.

Try shooting that Nagant revolver single action, it will help with the trigger pull. That might indeed be the cheapest centerfire round out there these days if you don't mind corrosive military surplus ammo (commercial is quite a bit more expensive per round). If looking at rifle ammo, some surplus 7mm Mauser and 8mm Mauser can still be had for 50 cents a round, but don't expect the good stuff at that price. I'm talking the expect some duds or hangfires kind of surplus. Brian's Surplus had some steel case commercial 7.62x39 at the Crown Point show, but I know his supply at the show ran out at 50 cents per round. Don't know if it will continue to be that price at shows or not as I know that supplies are continuing to tighten for everyone.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    It's so all over the board its really hard answer to nail down. You can find a couple places not upping 9mm prices as they were prepaired as stores bur most are not. But obviously if they have new ammo thats not the case

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I haven't seen any ammo for about a month at my local gun shops. My favorite shop had to close down because they couldn't get any guns or ammo because they are a small mom & pop shop. Only place I see any kind of ammo is RK and Chinamart.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Brass is still pretty abundant and cheap fir common 9mm, .223, etc. the break even on reloading might never be better than it is now.

i took up reloading after the last crunch because that sinking feeling of vulnerability was one I never wanted to repeat. Now I stockpile components and load what I need or want.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I truly don't even know what 45 GAP is for. I've seen it, but I've never seen a gun chambered for it. I assume it's a handgun round? :scratch:
    I just posted a thread about it asking for a lesson on it. It stands for 45 Glock Automatic Pistol, it’s for a Glock.

Top Bottom