Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FedEx/UPS losses during shipping

Plinker

User Info Menu

I received a picture from the recipient that showed a label with my name and address clearly printed as the return address on a box of shoes. The tracking number also matched my original number. I asked the recipient to look underneath the label, and he carefully peeled that label off to show another FedEx label beneath it to a different recipient, from a different source address, with a different tracking number. The source address for the box of shoes was from my same city. The label with my name and address appeared to have been professionally printed (possibly at a FedEx hub) and placed over the original FedEx label. So the box of shoes was intended for another address and had been redirected to my recipient instead. When I checked the FedEx site, my tracking number showed up as "delivered". The original tracking number underneath my label showed up on the FedEx site as "in transit" for a long time, and then nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4651feeder View Post
    Going on a premises that you can believe the person, did the recipient provide you with a photo showing your label clearly affixed to the box of shoes? Curious if it appears as a new label or original reattached.

Plinker

User Info Menu

The label I am thinking of (and accepted by the contract carriers) says "ORM-D Small arms cartridges" in a blue box with a rectangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    ORM-D doesen't mean its anything ammo/firearm related with just that label. Its how is packed on pallets or containers for shipping, generally upright and flat...

ORM-D (Other Regulated Material) material is a limited quantity of a hazardous material that presents a limited hazard during transportation due to its form, quantity, and packaging. Not all hazardous materials permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify as an ORM-D material.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I just got home from work a little while ago, long story short, I have been waiting for a 1000 rounds of Silver Bear 9mm for almost a month, finally got a notice from UPS that it would be here today. When I opened the package to my surprise instead of Silver Bear it was 124gr brass case Scorpio 9mm. So I guess it was worth the wait It actually looks like this was tampered with and during the long wait UPS said they encountered a problem during shipment. Weird!!!
    Last edited by swamptick; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:35.

User Info Menu

“We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.” -Archilochus

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Going on what you've stated, if it is a case of intentional theft it likely occurred at point of origin (South Bend/Mish?) and while you may doubt you have evidence to back up your loss the double label sure is a pretty good start. It's also a possibility the package fell victim to an overgoods repacking mistake. In either case I would hope you report it in person or to a local customer svc rep. if you have one.

Anything is possible, but it seems convoluted for someone to steal your package and then add additional risk step to the intrigue by diverting another package as substitute.

Master

User Info Menu

The first thing to have done would be to contact the seller and explain the situation. Many/most good companies would make you whole.

UPS destroyed a recent package that was to have contained 40 boxes of Aquila 22LR SV and used a lot of tape making the box shippable again but short 12, 50 rd boxes (must have made a nice mess to sweep up). I contacted Midway USA, they asked for me to send photos if I had them, I did and they are issuing a refund since the ammo is OOS. I always take photos of any damaged package (and would if it had strange labeling) before and as I'm opening it.

It is the seller's responsibility to get the products we buy to us and to make a claim with their shipper if they want to, not ours.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The first thing to have done would be to contact the seller and explain the situation. Many/most good companies would make you whole.

UPS destroyed a recent package that was to have contained 40 boxes of Aquila 22LR SV and used a lot of tape making the box shippable again but short 12, 50 rd boxes (must have made a nice mess to sweep up). I contacted Midway USA, they asked for me to send photos if I had them, I did and they are issuing a refund since the ammo is OOS. I always take photos of any damaged package (and would if it had strange labeling) before and as I'm opening it.

It is the seller's responsibility to get the products we buy to us and to make a claim with their shipper if they want to, not ours.
    I think Squander was the seller in this case, not the buyer.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The worst "loss" of shipping I experienced was last year after winning a gunbroker auction from a seller in Pennsylvania. I thought something was amiss when tracking showed my package (Ruger 44 mag revolver) was in Kansas City. Usually Indy is where everything east of Indiana winds up. Later tracking shows my gun was delivered in LA of all places! I called the seller and got a refund.

Plinker

User Info Menu

On another note, I recently sent a Wilson Combat 1911 back to Wilson for repair, and the service manager provided me with a return shipping label for UPS 2nd day air. I noticed that the label included $1000 of insurance, which was less than the gun was worth. I asked about what happens if the gun is "lost" since the insurance was less than the value, and was told that the $1000 insurance was enough to make UPS pay attention, but not so much that the package became a theft target. The implication was that any amount over $1000 would be covered by Wilson if needed.
    Last edited by Squander; 4 Weeks Ago at 22:25.

Plinker

User Info Menu

No doubt it happened at the point of origin. UPS and FedEx require you to take ammo to a so-called hub to ship (not a satellite store), and this was in South Bend. The diverted package may have been done to give time before I would suspect something was amiss since the ammo seemed to be traveling to the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by 4651feeder View Post
    Going on what you've stated, if it is a case of intentional theft it likely occurred at point of origin (South Bend/Mish?) and while you may doubt you have evidence to back up your loss the double label sure is a pretty good start. It's also a possibility the package fell victim to an overgoods repacking mistake. In either case I would hope you report it in person or to a local customer svc rep. if you have one.

Anything is possible, but it seems convoluted for someone to steal your package and then add additional risk step to the intrigue by diverting another package as substitute.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast