• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Just wondering if anyone else has suffered a "loss" of shipment of ammo or other firearm-related matter while using UPS or FedEx. We are supposed to use contract carriers for these kinds of shipments, and are also supposed to mark the boxes with the distinctive "ORM-D" or other restricted materials designation when shipping ammo, but it seems that these markings make the box a target for theft.

I recently shipped ammo that was received as a box of shoes (someone did a label or content swap in the back office, I guess). Tracking was of no use, because the box was still "received", and who is to say what was in the box to begin with?

So, who else has received a box of shoes?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Nope. I have ordered ammo a few times since beginning of year, when I saw a good deal, or at least a not outrageous deal, and all has arrived intact. I generally get ammo from Ammunition Depot (in Florida I think), but I did use a couple other suppliers. All went well.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Just wondering if anyone else has suffered a "loss" of shipment of ammo or other firearm-related matter while using UPS or FedEx. We are supposed to use contract carriers for these kinds of shipments, and are also supposed to mark the boxes with the distinctive "ORM-D" or other restricted materials designation when shipping ammo, but it seems that these markings make the box a target for theft.

I recently shipped ammo that was received as a box of shoes (someone did a label or content swap in the back office, I guess). Tracking was of no use, because the box was still "received", and who is to say what was in the box to begin with?

No problems here, but then again I've only had two ammo shipments since Covid hit. Ammo has been too rich for my blood lately.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I had an order of four boxes of 9mm from Bass Pro disappear at a FedEx hub in Foristell, MO last month. Finally got a refund from Bass Pro, but would really rather have the ammo. It was Federal 50 round boxes for $12.99 each. Can't replace that with the refund.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Did you get something else delivered in its place?

I had an order of four boxes of 9mm from Bass Pro disappear at a FedEx hub in Foristell, MO last month. Finally got a refund from Bass Pro, but would really rather have the ammo. It was Federal 50 round boxes for $12.99 each. Can't replace that with the refund.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI

Going on a premises that you can believe the person, did the recipient provide you with a photo showing your label clearly affixed to the box of shoes? Curious if it appears as a new label or original reattached.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

ORM-D doesen't mean its anything ammo/firearm related with just that label. Its how is packed on pallets or containers for shipping, generally upright and flat...

ORM-D (Other Regulated Material) material is a limited quantity of a hazardous material that presents a limited hazard during transportation due to its form, quantity, and packaging. Not all hazardous materials permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify as an ORM-D material.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    I received a picture from the recipient that showed a label with my name and address clearly printed as the return address on a box of shoes. The tracking number also matched my original number. I asked the recipient to look underneath the label, and he carefully peeled that label off to show another FedEx label beneath it to a different recipient, from a different source address, with a different tracking number. The source address for the box of shoes was from my same city. The label with my name and address appeared to have been professionally printed (possibly at a FedEx hub) and placed over the original FedEx label. So the box of shoes was intended for another address and had been redirected to my recipient instead. When I checked the FedEx site, my tracking number showed up as "delivered". The original tracking number underneath my label showed up on the FedEx site as "in transit" for a long time, and then nothing.

Going on a premises that you can believe the person, did the recipient provide you with a photo showing your label clearly affixed to the box of shoes? Curious if it appears as a new label or original reattached.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    The label I am thinking of (and accepted by the contract carriers) says "ORM-D Small arms cartridges" in a blue box with a rectangle.

ORM-D doesen't mean its anything ammo/firearm related with just that label. Its how is packed on pallets or containers for shipping, generally upright and flat...

ORM-D (Other Regulated Material) material is a limited quantity of a hazardous material that presents a limited hazard during transportation due to its form, quantity, and packaging. Not all hazardous materials permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify as an ORM-D material.

swamptick

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Rochester
    I just got home from work a little while ago, long story short, I have been waiting for a 1000 rounds of Silver Bear 9mm for almost a month, finally got a notice from UPS that it would be here today. When I opened the package to my surprise instead of Silver Bear it was 124gr brass case Scorpio 9mm. So I guess it was worth the wait:) It actually looks like this was tampered with and during the long wait UPS said they encountered a problem during shipment. Weird!!!

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Going on what you've stated, if it is a case of intentional theft it likely occurred at point of origin (South Bend/Mish?) and while you may doubt you have evidence to back up your loss the double label sure is a pretty good start. It's also a possibility the package fell victim to an overgoods repacking mistake. In either case I would hope you report it in person or to a local customer svc rep. if you have one.

Anything is possible, but it seems convoluted for someone to steal your package and then add additional risk step to the intrigue by diverting another package as substitute.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The first thing to have done would be to contact the seller and explain the situation. Many/most good companies would make you whole.

UPS destroyed a recent package that was to have contained 40 boxes of Aquila 22LR SV and used a lot of tape making the box shippable again but short 12, 50 rd boxes (must have made a nice mess to sweep up). I contacted Midway USA, they asked for me to send photos if I had them, I did and they are issuing a refund since the ammo is OOS. I always take photos of any damaged package (and would if it had strange labeling) before and as I'm opening it.

It is the seller's responsibility to get the products we buy to us and to make a claim with their shipper if they want to, not ours.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    The first thing to have done would be to contact the seller and explain the situation. Many/most good companies would make you whole.

UPS destroyed a recent package that was to have contained 40 boxes of Aquila 22LR SV and used a lot of tape making the box shippable again but short 12, 50 rd boxes (must have made a nice mess to sweep up). I contacted Midway USA, they asked for me to send photos if I had them, I did and they are issuing a refund since the ammo is OOS. I always take photos of any damaged package (and would if it had strange labeling) before and as I'm opening it.

It is the seller's responsibility to get the products we buy to us and to make a claim with their shipper if they want to, not ours.

I think Squander was the seller in this case, not the buyer.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The worst "loss" of shipping I experienced was last year after winning a gunbroker auction from a seller in Pennsylvania. I thought something was amiss when tracking showed my package (Ruger 44 mag revolver) was in Kansas City. Usually Indy is where everything east of Indiana winds up. Later tracking shows my gun was delivered in LA of all places! I called the seller and got a refund.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    On another note, I recently sent a Wilson Combat 1911 back to Wilson for repair, and the service manager provided me with a return shipping label for UPS 2nd day air. I noticed that the label included $1000 of insurance, which was less than the gun was worth. I asked about what happens if the gun is "lost" since the insurance was less than the value, and was told that the $1000 insurance was enough to make UPS pay attention, but not so much that the package became a theft target. The implication was that any amount over $1000 would be covered by Wilson if needed.

Last edited:

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    No doubt it happened at the point of origin. UPS and FedEx require you to take ammo to a so-called hub to ship (not a satellite store), and this was in South Bend. The diverted package may have been done to give time before I would suspect something was amiss since the ammo seemed to be traveling to the destination.

Going on what you've stated, if it is a case of intentional theft it likely occurred at point of origin (South Bend/Mish?) and while you may doubt you have evidence to back up your loss the double label sure is a pretty good start. It's also a possibility the package fell victim to an overgoods repacking mistake. In either case I would hope you report it in person or to a local customer svc rep. if you have one.

Anything is possible, but it seems convoluted for someone to steal your package and then add additional risk step to the intrigue by diverting another package as substitute.

Top Bottom