• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    While reading the thread about whether to inform LEO if you have a firearm during a traffic stop brought back some bad experiences with me. Nothing to do with the traffic stop but about the officers saying they wouldn’t harass the driver but would spark of a conversation including what type EDC they are carrying. I have learned not to ask someone what type firearm they are carrying.

That conversation had lead to me getting a firearm pointed at me more than once. The noobs are so excited about their perfect choice in a threat stopper that they want to have a show and tell date. I’m sure they are less likely to want to have a firearm show and tell date with a LEO it did go so well with me.

The first time it happened I was like “HEY YOUR POINTING YOUR GUN AT ME” in which the guy replied no I’m not as he points the muzzle towards the ground. The second time it came up in conversation and I asked the stupid question again as to what they carried. They were happy to take a firearm out of the safe position in the holster to show me the LCP and how it’s the be all end all. The ending was the same as the first guy wanting to have show and tell with his firearm. I felt like a complete idiot for asking the question a second time and getting the same results as the first time.

That was several years ago and I will no longer as that question in person.

The training I took at a range many years ago from an old timer went something like this.

Shooting at this range is like using a urinal in a public restroom. You walk all the way up to the urinal before you take out your pea shooter. You keep it pointed at the urinal at all times while firing and for us old guys during the waiting process before firing. Once the firing of the pea shooter is complete the pea shooter is returned to its safe place before exiting the urinal.

The second thing he said was not to ask another man about his pea shooter. He said it’s rude and asking him might result in getting it shown to you. At first I thought he was a dirty old man but all kidding and jokes aside I haven’t forgotten how right he was.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Highlights the basic firearm safety knowledge that many people carrying a gun lack. If you are carrying a gun to defend yourself it's not a "show and tell". I've heard more than once, it's not loaded, I never keep one in the chamber. (So that allows me ignore the primary basic safety rule) treat every gun like it's loaded.
    I get VERY testy when I have a firearm pointed at me so IMHO you are spot on, don't ask unless you want it pointed at you. It's sad but the world we live in today.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / Basic pistol instructor/ RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    While reading the thread about whether to inform LEO if you have a firearm during a traffic stop brought back some bad experiences with me. Nothing to do with the traffic stop but about the officers saying they wouldn’t harass the driver but would spark of a conversation including what type EDC they are carrying. I have learned not to ask someone what type firearm they are carrying.

That conversation had lead to me getting a firearm pointed at me more than once. The noobs are so excited about their perfect choice in a threat stopper that they want to have a show and tell date. I’m sure they are less likely to want to have a firearm show and tell date with a LEO it did go so well with me.

The first time it happened I was like “HEY YOUR POINTING YOUR GUN AT ME” in which the guy replied no I’m not as he points the muzzle towards the ground. The second time it came up in conversation and I asked the stupid question again as to what they carried. They were happy to take a firearm out of the safe position in the holster to show me the LCP and how it’s the be all end all. The ending was the same as the first guy wanting to have show and tell with his firearm. I felt like a complete idiot for asking the question a second time and getting the same results as the first time.

That was several years ago and I will no longer as that question in person.

The training I took at a range many years ago from an old timer went something like this.

Shooting at this range is like using a urinal in a public restroom. You walk all the way up to the urinal before you take out your pea shooter. You keep it pointed at the urinal at all times while firing and for us old guys during the waiting process before firing. Once the firing of the pea shooter is complete the pea shooter is returned to its safe place before exiting the urinal.

The second thing he said was not to ask another man about his pea shooter. He said it’s rude and asking him might result in getting it shown to you. At first I thought he was a dirty old man but all kidding and jokes aside I haven’t forgotten how right he was.

When related to handguns and concealed carry, the peashooter story makes perfect sense...any other way and it's just perverted!
    Respect begets respect...or at least it should!
    I have been pulled over a few times, with my firearm on my person, and nothing was ever said!
    I kept my hands in sight of the officer at all times, didn't make any quick movements, etc.
    I learned many years ago to keep all pertinent vehicle information (registration, insurance, etc.) in a pouch above the visor so I
    never have to reach into a center console or over to the glove box as it eliminates many misperceptions, which accumulates to increased risk!
    I never argue or disagree with the officer in the performance of his duties, but if or when I have a question,
    I start with, 'Sir (Ma'am), may I ask a question?' It always seems to go a lot farther that way!
    Life's short...live wisely!

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    You know I had a similar situation happen to me just a few weeks ago. I was at an "un-named" military surplus store in Clarksville, IN. I was browsing the back when the gentleman at the counter decided to draw his weapon to show customers his holster while flagging me about 30 yards away. He drew his weapon again only 20 mins later to show his carry piece to someone else. If that wasn't bad enough, his buddy I'll name ranger bob behind the counter had full battle belt on with tourniquets and dump pouch. He looked like he was ready to go to the range instead of working at a business. I'll be taking my business elsewhere thank you.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have been pulled over a few times, with my firearm on my person, and nothing was ever said!
    I kept my hands in sight of the officer at all times, didn't make any quick movements, etc.
    I learned many years ago to keep all pertinent vehicle information (registration, insurance, etc.) in a pouch above the visor so I
    never have to reach into a center console or over to the glove box as it eliminates many misperceptions, which accumulates to increased risk!
    I never argue or disagree with the officer in the performance of his duties, but if or when I have a question,
    I start with, 'Sir (Ma'am), may I ask a question?' It always seems to go a lot farther that way!
    Life's short...live wisely!

I ask permission to move my hands anywhere but the wheel, and I then re-iterate where I'm going to move my hands and why I'm doing it. I'm also always respectful and polite to the officer.
    Because if the officer feels like he/she needs to shoot me it may very well be unjustified and they may very well wind up in jail, but I'll still probably be dead.

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I asked a very frequent customer what they carried and he proceeded to go to his truck and get his Glock 23 that had sat in his truck and had not been fired in many many years. Pop had been spilled on/in it and the slide was stuck (he found it was stuck as he was trying to remove the round from the chamber). He waved it all over the place trying to get the slide back. I told him to remove himself from the building if he wanted to continue. He looked at me like I was crazy. Lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been asked to see what was in my holster by folks that know I carry a custom 1911. If I do take my pea shooter out it will be pointed in the proper direction.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Not just traffic stops but in general. I have seen some folks that get so excited giddy about guns they lose their bearing. So happy about it they end up totally forgetting about the surrounding they are in. Multiple safety issues. Sad thing is these aren't noobs and folks that should have known better.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Not just traffic stops but in general. I have seen some folks that get so excited giddy about guns they lose their bearing. So happy about it they end up totally forgetting about the surrounding they are in. Multiple safety issues. Sad thing is these aren't noobs and folks that should have known better.

I completely agree. Guns are cool and seeing new or tricked out guns is even cooler but there’s a time and place for it. Choosing the wrong place and time can lead to something going terribly wrong.

Here is an example of what I consider wrong. I was at the Fall Rod Run in Pigeon Forge, TN. It was really hot and traffic was horrendous so we decided to go to Buds Guns and rent some fully auto firearms. We then went back to the strip where our buddies were hanging out with their parked cars. I walked over and offered a bottle of water the the LEO that was working security in the parking lot. He asked how the cruising was going and I told him we got hot so we went to Buds and rented some FA guns. He asked what my EDC was and I told him a Glock 19. He said that’s what he carried and asked if I had ever tried a trigger kit I hadn’t heard of. I said no I haven’t. He then takes out his G19 drops the mag, empties the chamber then hands me his gun.

At that moment I realized he just unarmed himself and handed me his firearm to dry fire test his trigger while on duty. I looked at him and said “Wow I’ve never had a cop hand me his gun before, I’ve had them pointed at me though”. He must have realized it too because he said he had a DD 300 BO pistol in the vehicle about ten feet away. He was a cool guy but that was not a smart decision on his part. I walked around for the next several hours telling myself “That cop handed me his gun”. I still wouldn’t believe it to this day had it not happened to me.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As to informing if I'm stopped, I say nothing unless asked.
    It's usually unholstered under a jacket on the front seat because it's quicker to draw than trying to draw from a holster with a seat belt on.
    I learned this from the time I had to drive through a bad neighborhood on the way to work.

If I ever show my carry pistol to anybody, it's somebody I know.
    And I only let select people handle the pistol who I know VERY well and KNOW can safely handle a pistol because they've carried one too.
    EVEN THEN, before I hand it to them I tell them "this is chambered and WILL go off if you pull the trigger".
    Never had any problems.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    As to informing if I'm stopped, I say nothing unless asked.
    It's usually unholstered under a jacket on the front seat because it's quicker to draw than trying to draw from a holster with a seat belt on.
    I learned this from the time I had to drive through a bad neighborhood on the way to work.

If I ever show my carry pistol to anybody, it's somebody I know.
    And I only let select people handle the pistol who I know VERY well and KNOW can safely handle a pistol because they've carried one too.
    EVEN THEN, before I hand it to them I tell them "this is chambered and WILL go off if you pull the trigger".
    Never had any problems.

Just thinking, what if you have to hit the brakes aggressively?

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    Different mode of carry depending on situation. I pursue the element of surprise. as for as law enforcement give them respect, follow instructions. no problem

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    Personally any time Im stopped my hands go on top of my head and stay there until the LEO gets to my window and I inform him I have a loaded firearm in the car. At this point I inform the LEO where the gun is located. 9 times out of 10 the LEO relaxes and we proceed with the business at hand.

Now as a former LEO, I always stopped before the window and asked if they had any "unlawful" firearms. The ones that answered "no my guns are legal" right away, I could relax a bit. Its those that took a min to answer that worried me.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Personally any time Im stopped my hands go on top of my head and stay there until the LEO gets to my window and I inform him I have a loaded firearm in the car. At this point I inform the LEO where the gun is located. 9 times out of 10 the LEO relaxes and we proceed with the business at hand.

Now as a former LEO, I always stopped before the window and asked if they had any "unlawful" firearms. The ones that answered "no my guns are legal" right away, I could relax a bit. Its those that took a min to answer that worried me.
    Hands go on top of your head!? you’ve got to be kidding me?
    To each his own, do what you want, but ever since the State Trooper grabbed my mod.59 and tossed it on top of my work van I no longer inform at all, no matter how many weapons are in my vehicle.
    For those who think that you’re always better off telling cops stuff that’s none of their business, yes, some times it will go nice and the officer will be cool. Other times, you might just run in to a dick like the trooper I had to deal with and you can have your own loaded firearm pointed at you, disassembled, and returned in different condition than when it was taken from you.

After that, if an officer does ask about firearms, nuclear or other weapons, I simply say “nothing illegal”. Not lying and not informing.
    I was stopped once after that. Answered “nothing illegal” while I was armed with two handguns and had a rifle on the back seat. Evidently the guy was just going through the motions when he shined his light in the back window.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

I never announce my weapons verbally when I am pulled over. It tends to make rookies a bit nervous to hear: "I have a loaded weapon in the car."

Instead. when the LEO asks for my license, registration, and insurance; I sandwich my LTCH (or Utah) between my license and my insurance card. This will usually prompt the proper questions from the LEO: what, where, loaded, etc.

All stops have proceeded as normal from there.
    If I am not carrying (rare), I obviously do not include the LTCH/Utah.

Top Bottom