• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey everyone,

So I planned on selling my Ruger American, tried to do so twice already and got talked into keeping it by my dad twice so I guess I'm keeping it :laugh:.

However, I had a Savage .223 with a Bushnell Elite 3600 on it and decided that was too nice of a scope to sell so I swapped it out and put it on my Ruger American. I haven't had a chance to sight in in yet but while I was cleaning my Ruger so I could store it, I bumped it with my knuckles a couple of times. I don't remember seeing the black speck on it before (I also wasn't paying much attention) but I noticed it after I looked through the scope before putting it away. I tried to wipe both lens with a glass cloth but it wouldn't come off so it is definitely in the scope. It's not a big deal, more just an eye sore, but should I be concerned about it? I haven't shot much with a scope so I am a little new to this. Thanks!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ignore it and keep shooting.

That, or if it bothers you much, call Bushnell.

Flaking internal coatings are a bit of an embarrassment to modern optical manufacturers, but even S&B has a bad day every now ans again.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If it bothers you enough to worry about, take the scope off, and beat it on a softish surface like a phone book. More times than not, that flake will dislodge, and go back to the tube wall.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. I wanted to check if it was something I should have looked at before wasting bullets. Like I said, I know very little about scopes. This scope came with another rifle so I don't really know much about it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. I wanted to check if it was something I should have looked at before wasting bullets. Like I said, I know very little about scopes. This scope came with another rifle so I don't really know much about it.

Specs in the glass will not effect function. If you havent sighted in, I would do the phone book trick before you sight in.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Sorry you are having some issues. I doubt the foreign object inside your glass will cause any real failure but one reason I stay with Leupold is I don’t risk the fail as much. Good luck.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Sorry you are having some issues. I doubt the foreign object inside your glass will cause any real failure but one reason I stay with Leupold is I don’t risk the fail as much. Good luck.
    I think it will still function just fine, I had just not ran into the that issue before.

Top Bottom