Scottsdale ammunition company faces $80.1 million order backlog.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    It said that they bought more machinery to put in the production line. I wonder how long it takes from time of purchase until it's actually producing. I would kind of guess that it's a few months, at least.

ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    Here is another article about these guys.

https://www.newsweek.com/why-there-ammunition-shortage-us-1536392

It also mentions demand from military and law enforcement. Was speaking to owner of one of the LGS' last week, and he mentioned that before the unrest many police departments had reduced ammo inventory and are now trying to build their stocks back up. I guess its similar for Military. So not just demand from all the new gun owners.

Crazy times....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Stop taking orders! That is not ethical if you don't have inventory and have no idea when you ever will.

No it is not unethical to take orders as long as the customer knows the situation. Also I doubt these are retail orders, but rather commercial orders. Better to be in line when your turn comes than waiting for no line...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    It said that they bought more machinery to put in the production line. I wonder how long it takes from time of purchase until it's actually producing. I would kind of guess that it's a few months, at least.

From what I remember seeing during the last ammo shortage it takes about 9 months from order to running. All the machinery is custom built and then once installed takes quite a bit of tweaking to get everything running correctly.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Stop taking orders! That is not ethical if you don't have inventory and have no idea when you ever will.

A reloading company I buy from that makes bullets is behind on orders, but have postings on their website, weekly emails, and Facebook page that orders will be fulfilled in the order as received and for customers to be patient. They even offered to exchange for a different product. I have no rush for my bullets and willing to wait.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    The last time around, I placed my orders not to grossly stock up but to make sure I had sufficient components to reload. Also have some "friends" that always are running on low or out that come begging

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Late last year, early this year, I was buying ammo only. The price said buy, buy, buy. Thank you brain.

And took full advantage of the 75% off at Walmart.

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    tough times for ammo purchase . i started around 3 yrs. ago ordering ammo in bulk , several calibers. i count myself very fortunate for doing so. was simply stocking up because i was getting close to retirement ! i am in very good shape on bout all my ammo that i shoot frequently . do not have to worry about running low for a very long time . was giving $9 & sometimes less , (50 box ) for 9mm, $18- 20 for 45acp , etc. my thoughts would be this on people trying to acquire ammunition at these awful prices......... if you conserve what you have to a large degree , say shoot 1/2 as much as you usually do as an example , there looms the possibility that in a few months , the prices may level off . i am not suggesting that one will see prices like 2-3 yrs. ago but it may not hold the super inflated prices for ever !
    nothing is for sure , but is a thought to consider !

Last edited:

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    tough times for ammo purchase . i started around 3 yrs. ago ordering ammo in bulk , several calibers. i count myself very fortunate for doing so. was simply stocking up because i was getting close to retirement ! i am in very good shape on bout all my ammo that i shoot frequently . do not have to worry about running low for a very long time . was giving $9 & sometimes less , (50 box ) for 9mm, $18- 20 for 45acp , etc. my thoughts would be this on people trying to acquire ammunition at these awful prices......... if you conserve what you have to a large degree , say shoot 1/2 as much as you usually do as an example , there looms the possibility that in a few months , the prices may level off , to some degree. i am not suggesting that one will see prices like 2-3 yrs. ago but it may not hold the super inflated prices for ever !
    nothing is for sure , but is a thought to consider !

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Even at wholesale prices, we are only talking about 500M or fewer rounds. That is a small government contract worth of ammo. EDIT: WOORDWIDE ammo manufacturers produce somewhere on the order of 14 BILLION rounds per year.

But, yes, there is high demand for ammo right now. Both on the consumer side and on the government contract side.

Top Bottom