• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Should info be transferred with sale of firearm? Know basic indiana laws on sales. Was seeking consul from Ingo on whether or not to transfer info. This day and age with so many ways for Identity theft to take place. How and why is the best way.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Like Churchmouse said, the devil's in details.

Selling privately without an FFL? You betcha. A least if you're running a transfer through an FFL, you'll have CYA paperwork, but when I've sold privately, I use a Bill of Sale I found online.

Heaven forbid the gun is used in a crime, or stolen from the buyer and used in a crime, and the last paper record is from the time you bought it.

Unless, of course, there was no paperwork, text messages, emails that changed hands when you bought it in the first place - if so, no bother.

If the buyer has an issue with the record, that would raise a flag with me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    No receipt or record for me. It isn't required by law and I'm not worried about a firearm I've owned ending up being used in a crime. Even if it were it's gonna be pretty tricky to gather the necessary remaining evidence to convince anyone to issue an arrest warrant, let alone go to trial.

I see no problem asking to see an Indiana ID and Handgun License but I don't record anything.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If I don't know you, I ask to see Valid Indiana ID. That's it. Nothing recorded. Just wanna make sure the buyer is a indiana resident. I'm close to ****cago so I do get potential buyers from time to time that are from Illinois, so just like to see that Valid Indiana ID

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The gun you sell today can be resold tomorrow to an improper person. Do you want that to land on your doorstep? If no BOS is a requirement, they're just going to resell it tomorrow. If the deal is good enough to attract the attention of the no BOS group, someone else will buy it.
    It's just insulating yourself should someone else bring trouble to your doorstep.

If it couldn't land in my lap, I would just ask to flash Indiana ID.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No BOS. It isn't required and I'm not going act as some sort of unpaid agent of the state.

That said if I have reason to feel like the seller isn't an appropriate person, I won't sell it, with or without a BOS.

I don't randomly sell guns and technically, for guns I've done for sale via INGO for sale, I have a contact point if I ever need it.

If someone with an out of state plate should meet me, I would ask for a IN ID to verify residency but at that point it is because I have suspicion they are from out of state. I wouldn't record the info on it, just verify the picture and IN residency.

I think it is crucial for people to understabd that getting a BOS in NO WAY provides you any legal protection under Indiana law.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've never purchased anything from anyone doing a private sale who required a BOS; why would I, if I want hassle I'll go to the LGS. I have bought from folks who asked to see an IN DL and LTCH but was never asked to see it when I showed up...either I just have "that look" or passing the request to show one was enough.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The gun you sell today can be resold tomorrow to an improper person. Do you want that to land on your doorstep? If no BOS is a requirement, they're just going to resell it tomorrow. If the deal is good enough to attract the attention of the no BOS group, someone else will buy it.
    It's just insulating yourself should someone else bring trouble to your doorstep.

If it couldn't land in my lap, I would just ask to flash Indiana ID.

Having sold a gun that got sold and ended up in a raid I can tell you nothing ends up on your doorstep. The only reason I knew anything was from being friends with my ffl who told me a gun I bought ended up in an investigation. No bill of sale is needed. You really shouldn't give your information out to strangers. I've bought used guns that came with written receipts that had cc info, names and addresses.

If you're worried about traceability screenshot emails and text messages.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As most all of my interactions revolve around this site or a set group I am pretty easy going. No need to be critical with folks you know and you can find.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No BOS for me either. I was just thinking about the whole "lost my guns in a boating accident" thing.

Why can't you just say you sold them? I have sold guns on this forum that if asked I would have no idea of who it was or how to get in touch with them. There are a few that I know and they are still members here in good standing, but some sold years ago to people who have left this forum, :dunno:.

Fortunately, I am done selling at this point as I have thinned my herd to barely nothing. Certainly not near enough for our group.:)

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    As most all of my interactions revolve around this site or a set group I am pretty easy going. No need to be critical with folks you know and you can find.

This. I've only ever sold stuff to family, members here, or on consignment at a LGS so they can deal with the paperwork. I would never use an online gun auction like gunbroker unless I was willing to obtain an FFL and do a 4473.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    Imagine an FBI agent walking into your office unannounced and asking your employees whether there is a Joe Blow working here.

You might rethink whether or not you would like to have that piece of paper 15 years later.

Posting for a friend

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have an inventory records file. When I buy, I put the gun on the list. When I sell, I just record it as sold with the date, maybe a name. Mostly for my own peace of mind when I start looking for a gun that I forgot I sold 10 years ago!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have an inventory records file. When I buy, I put the gun on the list. When I sell, I just record it as sold with the date, maybe a name. Mostly for my own peace of mind when I start looking for a gun that I forgot I sold 10 years ago!

I have the same. It shows purchase date, price paid, serial number, current value, picture. If I sell it, I will add a "Sold on" date.

I used to keep a round count log with each one but I quit doing that once I actually started shooting more!:)

So if I get a knock on the door, I'm more than happy to show the official my log book to confirm we are indeed talking about the same firearm and that I sold it on a certain date. I'm willing to help with the investigation as much as I am able.

Top Bottom