• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I am having a hard time figuring this out.Is a salt block a attractant or bait ? It does attract deer and they do lick it, I am stuck in the middle because it can be construed either way.I wanted to put out a block from tractor supply.:popcorn:

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I am having a hard time figuring this out.Is a salt block a attractant or bait ? It does attract deer and they do lick it, I am stuck in the middle because it can be construed either way.I wanted to put out a block from tractor supply.:popcorn:
    In my opinion its a unethical way to hunt deer but thats just what I was taught.. I reckon if I was counting on it to feed my family , my perspective would be different.. but to your question, I would say you could make a valid argument either way, the question is .. what it as far as DNR is concerned::((((((popcorn))))))) lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    A Salk block is considered bait. Per the indiana regs you have to remove all sign from an area being hunted that includes covering the soil the salt block was on with a tarp or digging up and removing the soil from the area 10 days before the area is to be hunted!

I have started doing a 4 acre food plot for the deer where I hunt! It is perfectly legal and provides great food for the hers all year around!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Definitely considered bait. We put minerals out and they dig a darned near permanent hole in the ground so we only put it in locations we have zero plans to hunt near.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    It is illegal to use bait, salt, snares, dogs, or other domesticated animals to take deer. Bait is considered any product that is transported into a hunting area and placed there for animal consumption. Baits can be in the form of salt, mineral blocks, prepared solid or liquid, or piles of apples or other food that is intended for the animal to eat. An area is considered to be baited for 10 days after the removal of the bait and any affected soil.

indiana guidelines

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I guess I wont put ANYTHING out on ground.Ya know for me it dont really matter because I hunt 1300 acres of corn and bean fields that is next to the farmers 40 acre woods/thickets so I am pretty good anyway,glad I didnt do that though , but was wondering.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess I wont put ANYTHING out on ground.Ya know for me it dont really matter because I hunt 1300 acres of corn and bean fields that is next to the farmers 40 acre woods/thickets so I am pretty good anyway,glad I didnt do that though , but was wondering.

well damn brother you have 1300 acres of bait! Lol! Sounds like a hell of a set up to be honest! Good luck Dan and hope you bag a stud!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    They sure do like corn and beans, fresh water, bird seed, trail mix, the wife's flowers, my peppers...;)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Seriously though, if you put anything on the ground that could be construed by an enforcer to violate policy, will it matter what another enforcer previously told you? My years say don't go there.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    If you need bait/attractants to be successful, you are in need of more hunting skill. It's called hunting, not baiting for a reason. No one ever got better at anything by using gimmicks and shortcuts to achieve results. It falls on par with the guy that won the home run derby juiced full of 'roids.

Learn to play the wind. Take note of patterns and movement through scouting. Pay attention to the adjacent farmers' crop rotation. Weather patterns. Etc., etc.

I don't mean to harp, but this sort of thing is why hunters get a bad rep. Challenge yourself, and prove to be more intelligent than the animal you chase. Rant over.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Considered a sugar cube in Michigan, deer love them, but each year it seems DNR changes its rulings, they also like corn, beets, and apples, so if those are on your private land are you OK?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    If you need bait/attractants to be successful, you are in need of more hunting skill. It's called hunting, not baiting for a reason. No one ever got better at anything by using gimmicks and shortcuts to achieve results. It falls on par with the guy that won the home run derby juiced full of 'roids.

Learn to play the wind. Take note of patterns and movement through scouting. Pay attention to the adjacent farmers' crop rotation. Weather patterns. Etc., etc.

I don't mean to harp, but this sort of thing is why hunters get a bad rep. Challenge yourself, and prove to be more intelligent than the animal you chase. Rant over.
    I would have to agree.. all my brothers , cousins being old fashioned, thats what they taught me. I won't judge someone that does what they do and like I said earlier in the thread , if it was a matter of putting food on the table and my family not eating I would probably do what needed to be done to "attract or bait" but as of now I feel its not very fair and detracts from refining skills.. its very likely that if things get to the point that you HAVE to hunt to feed your family, then salt and sugar blocks wouldnt be available. We put them out now but we do it just to get pictures and have a nice view. Its pretty amazing seeing bird feeds swamped with birds and couple deer, squirrels, skunks all out there eating together:)

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I would have to agree.. all my brothers , cousins being old fashioned, thats what they taught me. I won't judge someone that does what they do and like I said earlier in the thread , if it was a matter of putting food on the table and my family not eating I would probably do what needed to be done to "attract or bait" but as of now I feel its not very fair and detracts from refining skills.. its very likely that if things get to the point that you HAVE to hunt to feed your family, then salt and sugar blocks wouldnt be available. We put them out now but we do it just to get pictures and have a nice view. Its pretty amazing seeing bird feeds swamped with birds and couple deer, squirrels, skunks all out there eating together:)

Very much agreed. If it is a matter of my family eating or not, all bets are off. Then it becomes primal instinct. And when/if that happens the herd will be obliterated before we can heat up the grill.

I've seen men kill more deer in flannel shirts and jeans than Realtree's latest and greatest ever dreamed of.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Very much agreed. If it is a matter of my family eating or not, all bets are off. Then it becomes primal instinct. And when/if that happens the herd will be obliterated before we can heat up the grill.

I've seen men kill more deer in flannel shirts and jeans than Realtree's latest and greatest ever dreamed of.
    Amen to that

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

"How the deer got in the flannel shirts and jeans I'll never know." :joke:

(With apologies to Groucho Marx) :):

Top Bottom