What will be the next big development in firearm technology?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    It's been a long time since any leaps have been made.

Muzzle loaders and such to cartridge weapons was pretty big.

Single action to double action was a good one too.

Revolvers and manually-operated actions to semi- and full-auto operatition was pretty nice.

Since then? Nothing much.

So, what's on the horizon? Railguns firing solid projectiles using electromagnets? Lasers? Phasers?

Has weapons development stagnated? Where do we go from here?

Please don't drag caliber discussions into it. I'm talking about weapons development theory.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I’d say guns that only shoot when the owner can shoot it so someone can’t steal and and use it in a crime. Like in that James Bind movie.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Self guided ammunition available to the general public. Wherever you are aiming when you first start to squeeze the trigger is where it hits.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I think there is potential for something big with caseless ammo. It would mean a handgun with electric ignition, but there is some cool things you can do with that, including multiple rounds in a barrel/cylinder.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I am a fan of Ian from Forgotten Weapons channel and this question has been asked a few times. He knows a whole lot more than I do, so I will my best to regurgitate what he said...as it makes sense to me.

There will be no major weapons technology leaps until we have energy weapons. As far as the self contained cartridge firearms goes, it is pretty well as good as it is going to get. There will be small refinements, but not leaps.

In regards to firearms accessories and technology, their could be some leaps there with nano technology. This is where we will see leaps in the next 20-50 years.

Think of something the size and weight of an Aimpoint micro (pretty darn small and light), but has night vision, infrared, video recording and wireless transmission, target identification and tracking capabilities (like tracking point) and at prices no more than our current optics.

I would agree that is probably the future of weapons technology until energy weapons become practical and affordable.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Self guided ammunition available to the general public. Wherever you are aiming when you first start to squeeze the trigger is where it hits.

I doubt it. It might work for missiles, but the tech isn't there for subminiaturization into small-caliber rounds.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I think there is potential for something big with caseless ammo. It would mean a handgun with electric ignition, but there is some cool things you can do with that, including multiple rounds in a barrel/cylinder.

But it's still the same the same basic action, just a change in ammo. They've tried that. It's not viable.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think the next big advancement will be replacing brass cases with polymer, either as a direct substitute for existing calibers or as new calibers with projectiles telescoped down into the cases. It's just a question of developing a polymer formulation that can withstand the heat and pressure requirements, can retain the bullet during handling, and is able to be extracted reliably without case rim failure.

It's been experimented with and the technology exists, it's just a question of achieving high enough reliability and low enough cost to replace brass and steel.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Lasers/tazers/ Light sabers, etc my Grandson will hopefully be carrying the latest and greatest
    Grandpa's old Glocks if still allowed will be like a Revolutionary muzzleloader.

Top Bottom