• ...and so much more!
  • Wood&Steel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    Hi all!

I just tried messaging a seller on Armslist and it gave me an error message that said, "Please upgrade your free account with premium personal account to unlock the features."

Is this something new, or is it a glitch? I messed someone about two months ago and it worked fine.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Had to check for myself. Definitely wanting you to pay. Looked like 3.99 per month.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So $4 a month will make folks mad enough to not play on one of the biggest playground in the world.

Yeah that makes a butt load of sense to me.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So $4 a month will make folks mad enough to not play on one of the biggest playground in the world.

If Armslist is a playground, this is how I view it:
    081120SCARANGELLA2GPM.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    7 a month to use a card. And armslist.com has been breached multiple times.

Any time we venture out there we run the risk of a hack. Even with all the protections in place. Electronic Condoms can be breached if the prize is shiny enough to try.

And $7 a month. Still, I am not sure what you get for that amount but limiting youreself might not be something you want to do.

I do not use GB or AL. Have survived just fine but lots of folks do.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Maybe armslist wants a bigger "piece of the pie", gunbroker tacks on fees, ebay has fees.
    I don't know that I do enough business on AL to "subscribe".
    A lot of the guns on there are on here too.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Any time we venture out there we run the risk of a hack. Even with all the protections in place. Electronic Condoms can be breached if the prize is shiny enough to try.

And $7 a month. Still, I am not sure what you get for that amount but limiting youreself might not be something you want to do.

I do not use GB or AL. Have survived just fine but lots of folks do.

I've used armslist quite a bit, if they had a better track record on infosec and it was a flat annual 20 dollars no problem. 84 dollars a year is high. This fee will stall sales unless it's just an amazing deal, which is never the case.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    359   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yep, nope. I have used Armslist quite a bit but it's not worth even $3.99/month. I would love to see what happens to their volume of listings going forward.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Actually it can make a little sense. A small fee can be used to weed out scammers and the un serious. But I understand how some will see it as a no-go.

The GOP did something similar with their online ticketing. They started charging a non refundable entry fee to the rallies. It was only a couple bucks as I recall. They did it to stop the kiddies from getting thousands of fake tickets to Trump rallies preventing legit attendees from going, as well as faking out the campaign into thinking its going to be a huge rally.

I forget how many thousands of dollars they made from leftists trying to game the system and mess up his rally. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe I'm just dumb? Why would four bucks a month be a big deal, if anyone could surf the site? Pay when you need to, drop it when you don't?

I like to trade on occasion. I might just have to go take a look over there now that they are taking steps to upgrade the users?

No offense to any of our friends here who are put off by the upcharge over there, but free ain't really free.

I'd much rather deal with folks who have some skin in the game over any old random could be scammer.

With all due respect to our fine site, here on INGO, I've been saying for years and years that our classifieds would still be a much more desirable place to go if the requirements for participation were noticably higher.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Maybe I'm just dumb? Why would four bucks a month be a big deal, if anyone could surf the site? Pay when you need to, drop it when you don't?

I like to trade on occasion. I might just have to go take a look over there now that they are taking steps to upgrade the users?

No offense to any of our friends here who are put off by the upcharge over there, but free ain't really free.

I'd much rather deal with folks who have some skin in the game over any old random could be scammer.

With all due respect to our fine site, here on INGO, I've been saying for years and years that our classifieds would still be a much more desirable place to go if the requirements for participation were noticably higher.

:twocents:

You are forgetting that armslist has notoriously bad information security. They were a lucrative data mining target before, now people will be putting checking account info on there to get the better rate making the site an ever bigger target.

Top Bottom