• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Why would someone keep a gun in the vehicle full time? To me that is just asking to have the gun stolen. It also means the teen grandkid can't run to TSC or RK to get tee post without you going also or removing the gun.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Just keep it on your hip all the time, never understood keeping a firearm in a vehicle all the time. Just BS like a good opportunity for theft.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Why would someone keep a gun in the vehicle full time? To me that is just asking to have the gun stolen. It also means the teen grandkid can't run to TSC or RK to get tee post without you going also or removing the gun.

If I did keep one in the car constantly my kids and grandkids know how to use and respect it on their way to run errands. :)

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    With le on this. But I do keep one in the car full time because of my job and I can't carry at work. If my car gets broken into my gun is not going to be the first thing they see. Instead, they'll be happy with the thousands in tools and fishing gear they find in the trunk. I also don't give them reason to look for guns. I don't plaster nra, glock, 2a, Malon labe or any other ridiculousness on my car. I keep the front of my car clean. The only thing they can see is a fishing rod and a baby seat. No trash no bags, no nothing to make them think there's anything worth stealing.
    In conclusion, I have had a gun permanently in my vehicle for years without a fear of it getting stolen.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I also don't give them reason to look for guns. I don't plaster nra, glock, 2a, Malon labe or any other ridiculousness on my car. .

I agree 100% on this. I also cannot carry at work, but it is a 45 minute drive each way and I choose not to be unarmed. Does not stay in the car overnight. Comes in when I come in. If parking someplace unknown we use gun safes under the seats.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County

Without context, this is a difficult question to answer. Perhaps in your circumstances, it makes absolutely no sense...and that is just fine. It's good that you're thinking about pros/cons/risk/rewards.

Generally speaking, you should always be carrying a weapon on your person (imo). Deadly threats to you and innocent folks can happen in an instant. You don't choose when this happens...the bad guy does, so having something on your person is imperative.

Beyond that, why would someone keep a gun in their vehicle full time?...

• For a farmer/rancher/rural resident, who visits different areas of their property throughout the day, a handy rifle would be nice to have in the vehicle for the occasional varmint.
    • For someone living out west (where you AREN'T top of the food chain), I'd seriously consider having a rifle of some sort in my vehicle.
    • If you are concerned that you may have to abandon your vehicle, due to a riot/protest or other large-scale threat, having something available with more capability than your edc might be a good idea. I'm thinking SBR, PCC, pistol AR, carbine of some sort in 5.56 or 7.62, etc.
    • Perhaps you just want a backup copy of your edc in the vehicle for your use or a passenger's use. Not a bad idea. "They" say two is one, one is none.

As always, you should secure any firearms not on your person. There are many gun vault/safe options designed specifically for vehicle use. Some fit in the center console, some fit in the trunk, others work well under/behind a seat.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Worrying about the law before one defends himself can get you kilt. After Prom thinking should be reserved for those with an established skill set first. There are a lot of fear based training platforms available but one should work hard at skill set first. Otherwise the secure warm feeling you get for partaking in the class is as sound as your Facebook friends.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Why would anyone want to live in a place where they fear their vehicle getting broken into?
    Or house.
    Or shop.
    Doors open, come on in.

Once you can understand those questions, you may have a different perspective.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Can’t carry at work. Decent commute past a downtown hotspot. Keep it in the car most of the time, park it secured in garage at night.

just want to make sure it is available if needed. No advertising on vehicle.

edit: both children have ltch, so not an issue if they borrow the car.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I also don't give them reason to look for guns. I don't plaster nra, glock, 2a, Malon labe or any other ridiculousness on my car. I keep the front of my car clean. No trash no bags, no nothing to make them think there's anything worth stealing.
    In conclusion, I have had a gun permanently in my vehicle for years without a fear of it getting stolen.

Yep....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having known several grown men that kept a gun in the car/truck full time and the guns were eventually stolen I would "NEVER" leave one unattended unless it was locked/secured "Properly".

Come on Acteon your house will not be sitting in a WalMart parking lot. My house is as secure as humanly possible. A car is a mobile target for a sub-culture of thieving douche bags that are devoid of honor at any level.

Apples to Apples.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Pretty sure there are members here that have had guns stolen from their home.
    The question seems fair to me.

It's even a point anti-gunners have brought up.
    That guns should be banned because crooks steal them from houses.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Not in the same context. But a discussion that needs to be had as well.

Again, we can secure our home if we try. And we can secure a mobile gun as well. Put in the effort people or bring the G.D. gun in the house with you.
    I get the work place issues just secure it. Same with the house. Don't make it easy because you are lazy or too damned cheap to buy the right security.

This is kind of a sore spot with me I guess.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't keep a firearm in my vehicle all night but if im going to a big city say Cincinnati VA or something like that my AR gets put in the trunk with 6 30rd mags. I carry my edc as well. When I go into the VA both get left in the vehicle. Same for USPS thats a federal building you're not allowed to have weapons in it. So edc stays in my locked vehicle. I don't think I'd ever leave one in it over night.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I am sure the INGO would support gun storage requirements.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

As always, you should secure any firearms not on your person. There are many gun vault/safe options designed specifically for vehicle use. Some fit in the center console, some fit in the trunk, others work well under/behind a seat.

Even without a vault you can also take your gun apart to prevent a thief from just breaking a window and running away with the entire gun.

With a handgun you can leave the magazine in the glove box, slide in the trunk, barrel under a floor mat, recoil spring in the center console etc.

Same with a long gun, you can remove the bolt and hide it.Even take it with you.

Top Bottom