How do you manage your hands shaking when aiming?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2019
    Sullivan
    I have an essential tremor and it makes it hard to keep my firearms steady when looking down the sights. What are your tips and tricks to keep it steady?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have an essential tremor and it makes it hard to keep my firearms steady when looking down the sights. What are your tips and tricks to keep it steady?
    You might look into the zero pressure method, it can only be used in bench or prone. Essentially you get zeroed on your target and get shoulder just enough behind it to make light contact and a very light trigger is extremely helpful as you reach up and only touch the trigger when you fire.. have you had your doctor try any kind of benzos to see if the help?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You may want to try experimenting with several types of pistols. My father has a similar tremor. The one and only time he has been to a range I let him try a variety of pistols. There was something about the extra force needed to pull a double action revolver trigger that seemed to reduce the tremor somewhat.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Maybe a bipod, as tall as you need it, or even a monopod. I don't have a tremor but a monopod really steady's my aim; pulling down and into my shoulder with the forward hand.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I had this weird exercise I did to help me get used to a red dot on a pistol that I saw on YouTube; don’t know if it would help you or not but I think it might.
    Disclaimers: it’s not for tactical use, its not for use with a lightweight snappy gun/round, it’s slow and you will not believe it until you try it. My pals thought I was crazy but it worked the same for some of them.
    Basically, hold the gun with your trigger finger ( stuck out straight, on the slide, to start) and your thumb. That’s it. As little grip as possible and still hold the gun up. Of course, the first time most people do this they want the support hand at the base of the pistol to mitigate recoil. Once you’ve shot a few times you realize you don’t need it, in my experience. I used a P320 9mm.
    What this does for me is make me pull the trigger very slowly, with extreme concentration, and I can shoot one hole groups like this all day long. Not sure why, but it helped with the red dot, and it may be similar to what snorko described above with heavier trigger pull. You really do feel every bit of your trigger.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Not being a smart ass at all but have you talked to your doctor and tried starting on low dose of Xanax, clonazepam or adivan and tweak the dosage. Those can be safe if used properly, like enough to calm the tremors but not enough to get you high or anything?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've always had this problem too. I do notice that it seems to get better the longer I shoot (in a given range session), but yeah, when I first start shooting, I feel like I'm shaking like a leaf, even with a two-handed grip.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    For defensive distances a pectoral index might be a good thing to try.

Draw the pistol straight up with your thumb riding along your body, hit your peck and rotate the muzzle up 90°. Point shooting while pressing against your chest might help stabilize any tremors. It helps mitigate recoil too.

Once you get used to shooting from closer to your face than usual, you can get fairly accurate hits fast.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’m sorry to hear about your challenge. While it can affect precision shooting, there are exercises you can do help you hit the target. Too lengthy to go into here but I will meet you at the range and demonstrate hands on. No charge. Thank you for posting

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bet Jim has the answer. I have shot with many competitors in the shooting sports that would concern you with their tremors, but could compete safely and accurately. I was never in an appropriate situation to discuss how they managed to do it.

Looks like the OP might be in the vicinity of Terre Haute? obijohn would certainly be a local instructor to discuss this with. Riley CC is nearby.

Last edited:

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    tough when physical issues are at play but generally good concentration. Dont drink soda or caffeine before the range time.
    Just my opinion

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Practice timing the trigger break. As it is wiggling around, get your trigger ready to bust the wall, then try timing it to when the sights hit the spot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I just started getting them last year. I know what you mean. Dr put me on meds had to adjust them because all I wanted to do was sleep until we got a dosage that helped me but didn't put me out day and night. I'm still not as good as I use to be it's very irritating, but its part of my life now so I just accept it and hope it doesn't get any worse. If so its shotgun time!

Top Bottom