Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How do you manage your hands shaking when aiming?

Plinker

User Info Menu

How do you manage your hands shaking when aiming?

I have an essential tremor and it makes it hard to keep my firearms steady when looking down the sights. What are your tips and tricks to keep it steady?

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I have an essential tremor and it makes it hard to keep my firearms steady when looking down the sights. What are your tips and tricks to keep it steady?
    You might look into the zero pressure method, it can only be used in bench or prone. Essentially you get zeroed on your target and get shoulder just enough behind it to make light contact and a very light trigger is extremely helpful as you reach up and only touch the trigger when you fire.. have you had your doctor try any kind of benzos to see if the help?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You may want to try experimenting with several types of pistols. My father has a similar tremor. The one and only time he has been to a range I let him try a variety of pistols. There was something about the extra force needed to pull a double action revolver trigger that seemed to reduce the tremor somewhat.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

Bigger magazines, lots of them.

User Info Menu

Stand closer to the toilet?
    Endowment Member, National Rifle Association; Member, Gun Owners of America; Member, Second Amendment Foundation; Member, Marion County Fish and Game Association; Member, Crawfordsville Gun Club; Member, Revere's Riders; Rifleman, Project Appleseed; Private Pilot, Airplane, Single-Engine Land

User Info Menu

Maybe a bipod, as tall as you need it, or even a monopod. I don't have a tremor but a monopod really steady's my aim; pulling down and into my shoulder with the forward hand.

User Info Menu

If you're shooting a long gun, would a two point sling help?

Expert

User Info Menu

I had this weird exercise I did to help me get used to a red dot on a pistol that I saw on YouTube; donít know if it would help you or not but I think it might.
    Disclaimers: itís not for tactical use, its not for use with a lightweight snappy gun/round, itís slow and you will not believe it until you try it. My pals thought I was crazy but it worked the same for some of them.
    Basically, hold the gun with your trigger finger ( stuck out straight, on the slide, to start) and your thumb. Thatís it. As little grip as possible and still hold the gun up. Of course, the first time most people do this they want the support hand at the base of the pistol to mitigate recoil. Once youíve shot a few times you realize you donít need it, in my experience. I used a P320 9mm.
    What this does for me is make me pull the trigger very slowly, with extreme concentration, and I can shoot one hole groups like this all day long. Not sure why, but it helped with the red dot, and it may be similar to what snorko described above with heavier trigger pull. You really do feel every bit of your trigger.
    Not a statist.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Not being a smart ass at all but have you talked to your doctor and tried starting on low dose of Xanax, clonazepam or adivan and tweak the dosage. Those can be safe if used properly, like enough to calm the tremors but not enough to get you high or anything?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Beta blockers.
    I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast