Best way to sell a few firearms from a private collection in 2020?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    My dad is looking to reduce the size of his collection and I have a few things reloading related I wouldn't mind selling off. What is best way to go about doing this in 2020? Is it better to go to a local dealer and see what they will offer up or is it better to set up a table at a local gun show and sell that way? I sold stuff at a local farmers market for fifteen years so I am familiar with becoming a vendor and setting up tables. What are some things to consider with setting up a table with Central Indiana Gun Shows and selling as a private seller? What are some things to NOT do? Thanks for any input you can offer!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    You could always list them in the classifieds and give fellow INGOers the first opportunity at them. It’s a good way to meet fellow members too.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I wouldn’t go the local dealer route, they’ll only give you pennies on the dollar.

could talk to an auction company and go that route?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    2nd on the INGO classifieds.

You have already met the requirements to access them, so there is no overhead cost or additional fee. And, INGOers like guns and stuff so give us a chance to enrich our collections.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you don't want to mess with meeting up etc.. I know a couple great shops that have reasonable consignment fees. Right now my consignments are bringing more after the fee than I get offered on private sales.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I wouldn’t go the local dealer route, they’ll only give you pennies on the dollar.

could talk to an auction company and go that route?

Auction fees are astronomical. I would only go that way if I had to have it sold by xdate. Consignment fees are extremely reasonable

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    2nd on the INGO classifieds.

IF you feel you MUST use a dealer, find one that does consignment instead of selling it to them. You'll get a FAR better deal for them to put it in their display case for a cut instead of paying you cash on the barrelhead for something that may take them a while to turn.

Most places will only give you 60% of what they can sell it for if you want them to buy it from you. Consignment may be half that cut or less. Ive seen shops that charge as low as 15% for consignment. Ask lots of questions and shop around for your best deal.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Auction fees are astronomical. I would only go that way if I had to have it sold by xdate. Consignment fees are extremely reasonable

They certainly can be. In my area the typical auction fee is 20%, same as most dealers. Earlier this year I made a list of about 15-20 guns I decided I did not need to keep. The more expensive ones I sold on 1 INGO and 2 armslist. I ended up with 10 that were either low enough in price that I did not want to spend time and gas travelling or whose basis was such that I would break even or better at auction. My folks used to be antique dealers and due to that and my spending habits at auctions, I usually get a discount from the typical consignment fee. It makes it worth while. Also, the local auction house I use has proxibid online bidding as well which opens up competition to everyone. I have seen many semi-collectable guns peak in the room at say $500 and continue to $8--=$900 with online bidding.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    In this current climate you might be surprised what a FFL/Pawn Shop is willing to pay for firearm especially handgun. I was pleasantly surprised in Goshen about three weeks ago.

What's the harm in asking?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    In this current climate you might be surprised what a FFL/Pawn Shop is willing to pay for firearm especially handgun. I was pleasantly surprised in Goshen about three weeks ago.

What's the harm in asking?

I've been given nearly retail to trade certain types of guns during the Corona buying spree. I had a bunch of budget tactical style guns, they all did very well even on trade in.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Auctions are entirely dependent upon online bidding or the right 2-3 guys being there. If the right buyers aren't there, you might as well give the guns away.

Top Bottom