• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I was wondering if any of you guys shoot chipmunks around the house outside with the CCI .22 SHOTSHELL ? I was wondering what the distance is that it is lethal ? They were in shed and NOW looks like they are interested in the house/garage.They burrowed under the pavers I put down off the back porch,little bastards raising pavers . This might be a FUN way to get rid of them.:ar15:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe it's an excuse to buy another gun but the smooth bore 22 lr is good for exactly that.
    The Henry Garden Gun.

[video=youtube_share;stuL6O-duVg]http://youtu.be/stuL6O-duVg[/video]

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Yes, I shoot them dastardly striped rats with .22 shot. I do NOT use the CCI shells with the blue capsules, I use Federal .22 shotshells that are all brass and crimped closed at the end.

What type of gun are you using? If you are going to use a standard .22lr firearm, you will have to be within feet of them. The rifling makes the shot spread out very fast and wide. I use a worn out Stevens single shot that has next to no grooves left, and it can take chippers out to 15 yards reliably. I have managed to kill one or three in the 20-25yd range, but not often.

Another method I have used is sunflower seeds floating in a 5 gal bucket. Works well. I have also put mothballs down the holes I can find, that drives them away from their tunnels.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Can you shoot .22cbs or 22 shorts in a rifle designated .22lr, or would there be a issue with the short casing ? Something about the chamber length ?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Shooting a shorter cartridge is ok. But make sure you clean the chamber really good when you are done. Lead will build up over time and prevent a LR from chambering.

I might suggest an air rifle. A nice break barrel can be had for $100. And they are just plain fun too.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Agree on air rifle suggestion. Have dropped many with one. .177 and .22, but prefer the .22, drops them cold.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Shooting a shorter cartridge is ok. But make sure you clean the chamber really good when you are done. Lead will build up over time and prevent a LR from chambering.

I might suggest an air rifle. A nice break barrel can be had for $100. And they are just plain fun too.

That's what I've been using. I've popped 2 out by my shed (about 30 yds) this past week with my Gamo.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I shot a mouse with my .22 cal. Happens fast.

[video=youtube_share;LpymMdEf6Rg]http://youtu.be/LpymMdEf6Rg[/video]

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    A pellet gun is ideal for this as in most suburban areas it is illegal to discharge a weapon within 300 feet of another dwelling. Pellet guns do not have that restrictions

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Air rifle is the way to hunt them. Traps are the way to do away with them.

They are thick here if let be. We run bucket traps in the buildings all year and hav-a-hearts near their outside runs during the season. Buckets are dual-duty, catching mice also.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    With the buckets, do you put the little roller on it or just drop the bait in the water?

I fought with three chips this summer. Always too close to buildings, cars or decks to shoot with my .22 lr. Put rat traps out and they could get away before caught. Baited with live traps and took nearly all year to get them.

Still have at least one left running amok.

Been a good year for smart critters. Still have a ground hog at the mother-in-laws that won't go into the cage. Tries to get the bait from outside. Guess he knows that his brother took a dirt nap after he walked in there.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    As others have mentioned, airguns are great for chipmonks. I use my Beeman P1 pistol w/ red dot for chips closer than 30 yards. Further than that, I use my Beeman R-11 rifle w/ 6-18X scope. My best shot so far has been at 75 yards. I have airgun targets spaced every 10 yards out to 90 yards, off one side of my deck. I was plinking with my R-11 one day and noticed some movement by my firewood stack. Looking at my targets, I figured it was about 75 yards. I held over, took the shot, and mailed that little monster; first shot. Felt pretty good.

I had surgery to repair a torn bicep almost 5 weeks ago. On nice days I have been sitting on my deck, listening to some audio books and the chipmonks seem to be mocking me. Maybe they know I can't shoot yet. It is tough seeing them run around, not being able to shoot. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    With the buckets, do you put the little roller on it or just drop the bait in the water?

I fought with three chips this summer. Always too close to buildings, cars or decks to shoot with my .22 lr. Put rat traps out and they could get away before caught. Baited with live traps and took nearly all year to get them.

Still have at least one left running amok.

Been a good year for smart critters. Still have a ground hog at the mother-in-laws that won't go into the cage. Tries to get the bait from outside. Guess he knows that his brother took a dirt nap after he walked in there.

I have both. I used pvc pipe with end caps for the roller. Peanut butter smeared around the roller. Check every few days.

I also just put blackoil sunflower seed in the water. Those sit until the seeds sink, then I just dump the whole mess out. Have had 5 in one bucket, during the worst battle with them striped rats.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Another option, if you don't want to buy an airgun, and IF you can FIND it, is to use Aguila Super Colibri rounds. I have used it, it is very quiet out of long barrels. Bolt actions and single shots are best, lever actions are ok. You can use them in semi-autos, but they will not cycle the action.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b222339/

If you were closer, I would give you a box of 50.

SolidDragon74

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2020
    Northern
    For the cci shot shells I have only ever shot at mice in the barn. Tried shooting at pop bottles at short distance and hardly any went through so never did more than just mice.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I use a Marlin 25mg smoothbore 22 magnum. It is awesome on rats and chipmunks. I also have a smoothbore 22lr for use in the barn as it does not have as much power to damage the walls.

chuck

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've been using subsonics and a suppressor but I live in the woods. A good rat trap under a milk crate to keep the birds off it works. Hot glue an almond or hazelnut to the trigger. Using a havahart, wire a mouse trap to the trigger and glue the nut to the mouse trap trigger. You'll catch the mice that way too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've been using subsonics and a suppressor but I live in the woods. A good rat trap under a milk crate to keep the birds off it works. Hot glue an almond or hazelnut to the trigger. Using a havahart, wire a mouse trap to the trigger and glue the nut to the mouse trap trigger. You'll catch the mice that way too.

That is my recipe for chipmunks. Thought I found a tough guy once. I setup a webcam on the trap so I knew when to go clean it out. I saw it trip and the little guy muscled his way out after thrashing around. I thought "damn, he's tough!" Not really. I found him stiff as a board around the corner. he made it about 20' before he keeled over.

I found that peanut butter on the trigger is OK, but to REALLY get them also sprinkle sunflower seeds all over the trap body. They may get the PB off the trigger successfully, but I have yet to have one NOT get excited and kick the bale as he scampered around the trap stuffing his cheeks with delicious sunflower seeds. One way or another, I get my rat.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I got rid of 13 with a pellet gun. Got the rest in traps. Keep decon around in winter to ward off any newcomers. A hose hooked up to your mower and down their hole works good too. I also dump used motor oil down their hole. Yeah they don't like me much.

Top Bottom