Thoughts on Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .350 Legend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about this rifle and the new .350 Legend. I've been doing some research on the .350 and it appears to have more power than a 30-30 but less blast than a .308. Additionally, it's comparable to the .357 maximum. I've thought about special ordering a Magnum Research BFR in .357 maximum but someone on here (I think) suggested the .350 so I started looking at it more closely. Since it appears to be really similar to the .357 maximum and appears to have a reliable source of manufactures I was thinking it may be a good compromise. Additionally, target loads can be had at around $10 a box. My intended use would be deer hunting, coyote hunting, and target shooting (I'd shoot hogs with it if I ever went hunting for them).

My only issue is the lack of iron sites. It'd be nice if it came with some kind of iron sites. However, since it does have the rail on it, I'll consider adding the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 350 Legend to it since this scope is specially designed for the round.

I was hoping for a discussion over:

Anyone's thoughts on the rifle
    Anyone's review of it if you have one (even if it's on a different caliber)
    What sort of optics/sights you could suggest for it. I'd like to avoid battery operated optics.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. I know I mentioned the Magnum Research BFR before and now I'm asking about a bolt action rifle. To clarify, I'd like a revolver in .357 maximum but I like the compactness of the Ruger Ranch Rifle.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I have a Ruger American in 308. No complaints really. Excellent trigger and rifle shoots well. If any weak point, I would say the magazine sometimes can be persnikety to feed.
    I have a vortex crossfire II on mine.
    Good setup

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have a Ruger American in 308. No complaints really. Excellent trigger and rifle shoots well. If any weak point, I would say the magazine sometimes can be persnikety to feed.
    I have a vortex crossfire II on mine.
    Good setup
    That's similar to the .270 I have. I have a Bushnell 6500 elite on it and I'm happy with it. I'm mostly looking at the ranch rifle model due to its compact size and the .350 being really similar to a .357 maximum.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    A LGS has a Ruger American in .350 legend, I'd love to have it, the round sounds awesome, and the price point is very nice, well... until recently...Good luck

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    A LGS has a Ruger American in .350 legend, I'd love to have it, the round sounds awesome, and the price point is very nice, well... until recently...Good luck
    For price point did you mean for the rifle or the price for the ammo?

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've got a Ruger American Compact in .308. Love the gun! I've put Leupold glass on mine, scope cost more than the rifle.
    My only concern would be how long is the .350 Legend cartridge going to be around. I've been around long enough now to see lots of the "newest, whiz-bang, fireball" cartridges come and go. Anybody remember the Remington and Winchester "Short" magnums?
    So if you could lay in a set of dies and brass, I would say go for it. if not, maybe stick with a classic cartridge until time proves whether the .350 will stick around or not.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I have one in 5.56 and takes AR mags. I really like it. Put a Leupold 2x7 scope on it. The bolt handle and knob from Anarchy Outdoors is a nice upgrade.

attachment.php

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I've got a Ruger American Compact in .308. Love the gun! I've put Leupold glass on mine, scope cost more than the rifle.
    My only concern would be how long is the .350 Legend cartridge going to be around. I've been around long enough now to see lots of the "newest, whiz-bang, fireball" cartridges come and go. Anybody remember the Remington and Winchester "Short" magnums?
    So if you could lay in a set of dies and brass, I would say go for it. if not, maybe stick with a classic cartridge until time proves whether the .350 will stick around or not.
    That was one of my concerns with it as well. It looks like the biggest pull to it is comparable (ok I guess somewhat better) to the 30-30 but in a straight wall case, something I like. I also see the appeal as a rifle round comparable to a .357 maximum. With a large number of companies and ammo companies loading for it right now, as well as numerous companies producing firearms in it, it seems promising. I think as long as Midwestern states require straight wall cartilages it has the potential to stick around. It defiantly has me thinking about that though.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    For price point did you mean for the rifle or the price for the ammo?
    Ammo, everything has gone to sh&t with all the stuff going on, prices for ammo are out in space...
    As far as the rifle, I'd love to have it, but it's right handed, and I shoot rifle lefty, if they made one for lefthanders, and I had the money...I'd be there..

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I know quite a few people who own the Ruger American and never heard them speak poorly of the rifle. At the price point it's a good value. I was at the range last week and guy had a Ruger American in 350 legend that he was working up a load for and getting sighted in for deer season. I was impressed, out of the box with his hand loads using 175 grain Hornady flextip over Lil'gun he was getting groups hovering around .75 inches at a 100 yards with a muzzle velocity of about 2200 fps. Not too shabby and it makes me want to go buy one.

I wouldn't be concerned about the cartilage longevity in the shooting world. Since it's introduction 2 years ago quite a few rifle and ammo manufactures jumped on the wagon and it's popularity has increased. I guess it doesn't hurt that the cartridge is equally at home in both bolt guns and the AR platform. The only downside I see is it's really only a 200 yard effective range cartridge but for most hunting purposes that it was designed for that's enough.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I really like the platform, it's great a short, light, and handy brush gun type rifle. 350 is kind of a one trick pony, though: It exists to kill deer at short range in states with dumb laws. I'd rather have it in 6.5 Grendel and get more legs.

But, on the other hand, having a rifle that excels at one specific job is not the worst thing in the world, and the 350 American Ranch is pretty good for carrying out into the woods and planting a round in a deer at <100 yards when you're not allowed normal rifle cartridges.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Luv my Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor!!! I got the go wild camo edition, but mine also came with a Magpul stock. I like the Magpul magazine better than the factory Ruger. The burnt bronze cerakote has held up well. I'm just waiting on Midwest to get in the right muzzle break in stock, again.....if ever.... This China/Biden scamdemic needs to end!!!!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I know quite a few people who own the Ruger American and never heard them speak poorly of the rifle. At the price point it's a good value. I was at the range last week and guy had a Ruger American in 350 legend that he was working up a load for and getting sighted in for deer season. I was impressed, out of the box with his hand loads using 175 grain Hornady flextip over Lil'gun he was getting groups hovering around .75 inches at a 100 yards with a muzzle velocity of about 2200 fps. Not too shabby and it makes me want to go buy one.

I wouldn't be concerned about the cartilage longevity in the shooting world. Since it's introduction 2 years ago quite a few rifle and ammo manufactures jumped on the wagon and it's popularity has increased. I guess it doesn't hurt that the cartridge is equally at home in both bolt guns and the AR platform. The only downside I see is it's really only a 200 yard effective range cartridge but for most hunting purposes that it was designed for that's enough.
    I took note of the ~200-250 yard effectiveness too but then I considered the safety factor of using it in more populated areas. I realize it's unlikely but I still appreciate that oddly enough. Thanks for your observations from the range, that really helps!
    I really like the platform, it's great a short, light, and handy brush gun type rifle. 350 is kind of a one trick pony, though: It exists to kill deer at short range in states with dumb laws. I'd rather have it in 6.5 Grendel and get more legs.

But, on the other hand, having a rifle that excels at one specific job is not the worst thing in the world, and the 350 American Ranch is pretty good for carrying out into the woods and planting a round in a deer at <100 yards when you're not allowed normal rifle cartridges.
    That was my appeal to it as well. Would it not be good for coyote hunting?

Top Bottom