• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My family has some land where we’d like to build a backstop on. Around here, railroad ties are expensive. So, I was wondering if this would work:

I’d like to make a large box. At least 8 feet tall. It would have 4x4 corner posts. And it would be framed with double thick 2x4 boards all around. Making it 3” thick. And I’d fill it to the top with fill dirt.
    I’m thinking the box would be 3 feet thick. Maybe 12 feet wide.

Would that be a sufficient backstop?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    What are you shooting and from how far away?

Your basic plan for this back stop is 3" of wood boards, then 3' dirt, then 3" more of wood boards. What is the width of your back stop? With 3' of dirt piled 8' high, you may have considerable pressure on the wood boards if they're unsupported for too long of a length. You also need to consider moisture content of the dirt and how that may add pressure and/or decay the wood ... or even possibly cause the dirt to leak out from the cracks.

Maintenance question ... you will be replacing the front wood boards on a periodic basis. Are you planning to just attach fresh boards to the front or remove and replace?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    do you have access to a large amount of fill dirt? If so, why not just a large mound of dirt for a backstop much like a pistol bay at a private range?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Don't make wood the first surface as the center of your groups will soon destroy the wood letting the dirt within out. Use wood as the backing for a pile of dirt which can stop the bullet. .223 will penetrate up to 8" in the end of a log.

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    Don't make wood the first surface as the center of your groups will soon destroy the wood letting the dirt within out. Use wood as the backing for a pile of dirt which can stop the bullet. .223 will penetrate up to 8" in the end of a log.
    like he said the wood would soon be shot up letting the dirt fall in. A huge mound of dirt would be best if you have it

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My idea for the boards was to contain the dirt. I guess I just need a better way to keep the dirt from washing away with the weather?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My idea for the boards was to contain the dirt. I guess I just need a better way to keep the dirt from washing away with the weather?
    "more dirt" is the way to contain the dirt. It will wash until it stops washing, and then it won't. Grass/cover on it or not, it will wash a little no matter what. Regular 2X4's will rot quickly, doubled up will rot faster. When they rot you're left with a washed out pile of dirt and a mess, instead of a pile of dirt that you just add more dirt to.
    I see plenty of single dump truck loads of dirt in the corners of yards in my neighborhood, while not really sufficient, these people are making do with what they have. Multiple truckloads are exponentially better.

Not trying to be negative, but entropy does happen.

Not sure where you're from but I have a bunch of telephone poles, enough to build a 3 sided containment structure someone can have if they want to come get them.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I second the idea of dirt, and more dirt. Mine is a BIG pile of dirt. It has grown over with ground cover plants, and that helps, but it needs dressed up from time to time because of impact wear from shooting and erosion.

The boy shoots his Remington 700 (.308), and that digs a bit of a hole after a while.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can put dirt behind the boards, but sand is the best bet to stop the bullets. Sand also way easier to shovel back up the hill as weather washes it down.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    You can put dirt behind the boards, but sand is the best bet to stop the bullets. Sand also way easier to shovel back up the hill as weather washes it down.

Agree.
    We have sand berms at RCC and if you don't climb on them, they are almost maintenance free. The sand swallows bullets and "self seals".

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The one my grandfather built in the late 50s is still standing. He owned a junkyard and use tires filled with dirt then another wall of tires in front of that filled with dirt. It was really only used by family so not near the volume of a range bay but it's still getting used

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    +1 On the use of tires. For a time I used tractor tires, alone, it took a lot of shooting to finally break through the back tire. It took some effort, just turned it. Nice part about tires, they can be had for free, watch along the back roads, people dump them. Tires and dirt work great. Just remember the liability aspect, good reason for a membership in a local range. If you have a range on your property you are responsible. :cool:<><Duce

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Add some old carpet on top of the dirt, and shoot through it. It cuts down on the dust, helps contain lead, and reduces erosion. It’s also cheap/free if you just look up a landlord or local Realtor or contractor re-doing a house. Offer to help remove the carpet, and when you do, cut it into the big piece(s) you need to cover the face of your berm.

Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    We have an area that has 10-12 ft walls/berms that surround were we shoot in case of a ricochet, skipping or similar. I personally would not feel safe using a 5 x 5 x 5 type of back stop but that is just me.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Here is my setup. Works extremely well...
    58BGJe1m.jpg

Top Bottom