Bedside / nightstand drawer gun storage options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm in desperate need to improve my current bedside pistol storage situation. What I've got now is an el cheapo tin container with a spinning wheel combination lock on it that is very thin. It's nearly identical to this: https://www.amazon.com/RPNB-Portabl...1&keywords=drawer+safe&qid=1605791933&sr=8-14

I like it because it's simple and doesn't take batteries, but I dislike that it is so shallow that I can't keep the surefire light mounted on my G17. I'd like to get something a little deeper, that works better. I don't really have any faith or confidence in internet reviews and would rather hear from human beings talking about what they've got setup and what they like about it or not.

I'd like to upgrade the drawer storage for my bedside gun.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I am using a Safariland QLS mounting system to mount to my bedside table, then it goes away during the day. There are lots of duty holsters that work with that system. This makes it very accessible if there are bumps in the night. Also, it’s mounted on the backside so you can’t see it from the front. During the day, it’s sits in a Vaultek VT20i.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm not sure of your budget but i've been looking at this unit from Hornady. I have a wall mounted quick access in my walk in closet but was thinking of something even closer/handier.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Rapi...id=1605793458&sprefix=hornady+,aps,627&sr=8-1

Amazon right now has a lot of options right now for good prices above and beyond what you have now. There's even some good prices on the Vaulteks which are usually pretty pricey.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If you want to stay with the pistol safe route, I have one of these mounted in my Jeep and it's about the heaviest pistol safe I've ever seen. It's also plenty large enough for just about anything you want. Lights, spare mags, etc. I have no complaints other than initial purchase cost (and weight).

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Suppressed 19X in a Liberty Safe HDX-250, bolted to the night stand.

Change the finger print lock battery every 6 months.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Hornady rapid access system is great. I have a 12 gauge in the closet just on the other side of the wall.
    They offer pistol solutions, AR solutions, or shotgun solutions. Go with that, or something like it.
    In a stressful situation, like a home invasion, your current system will be entirely useless (sounds like you already know that).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hornady rapid access system is great. I have a 12 gauge in the closet just on the other side of the wall.
    They offer pistol solutions, AR solutions, or shotgun solutions. Go with that, or something like it.
    In a stressful situation, like a home invasion, your current system will be entirely useless (sounds like you already know that).

If I'm gone, everything is insured. If I'm home, due to location of the bedroom to any points of entry I have more time than most floorplans, but I definitely have room to improve.

treylagger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2020
    Winona Lake
    We use an awesafe mounted in the drawers of our nightstands for when our grandkids are around. Most of the time my gun is on the leg of my nightstand attached to a magnet.

Lacthaus

Baja Blaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If you don't worry about kids going through your room, you can get a cheapo Walmart holster and rig it to your bed frame. My side of the bed is against the wall so it's concealed from prying eyes and still accessible while in bed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I suppose these at too new to have real world reviews?

I'm not sure I like RFID,but maybe it would be fine. I would most likely just leave it open a bit (if I can) and just lock it when the grandkids come to visit.

I was set on a box with a simplex lock.

You can do RFID, a digital code, or it has a key.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I suppose these at too new to have real world reviews?

I'm not sure I like RFID,but maybe it would be fine. I would most likely just leave it open a bit (if I can) and just lock it when the grandkids come to visit.

I was set on a box with a simplex lock.

Strongly agreed. I don't like electronic safes and I don't want to fumble with a key. If your budget goes up that far though, I really do like the one I linked earlier. Been in my Jeep for 4 years now, 3 of them with a leaky soft top, and it still looks like brand new.

The nice thing with the simplex lock and a real bolt is that you can leave it closed and unlocked if you want. That's usually what I do in the Jeep. Get off of work, unlock the box, drive home, take firearm in the house, leave the box open so nobody tries to cut it open.

Top Bottom